Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,400 times

Advertisements

HOOboy. We drove in from San Diego about a week ago, but it feels like a month and a half because we’ve jammed so much activity into each day—unpacking, lining shelves, organizing, cleaning, shopping, researching... learning new TV and computer systems... figuring out how to change the heater filter, use the leaf blower, and dehumidify the basement... joining a church and a club... calendaring and reserving tickets ahead for cultural and community events... finding things like the car wash and the eye doctor... and including some enjoyable and interesting activities in every single day to feed our minds and spirits! It’s been great fun. It really has. We feel richly blessed to be here!

We have also learned quite a bit, already, about the difference between envisioning living here and living here. Let me emphasize right up front that all communities have pros and cons and that none of our observations are intended to be negative or critical. They are merely observations that help direct our thinking about which community we ultimately want to buy into. They may be helpful, however, to anyone thinking about moving anywhere. (We will post only in this forum, and our succeeding posts will be much shorter!)

OBSERVATION: Hendersonville is a “senior” community. H'ville people are definitely older as a group than we expected them to be. At Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Ingles, H’ville Symphony, Little Theatre, Flat Rock Playhouse, Walmart, Sams, Patton Park, Jackson Park, driving the streets, walking downtown—anywhere, any day, any time—we see mostly people in their fifties, sixties, seventies, and up. We see older children playing ball in the parks but we don’t see their parents (who must be at work). Those on the walking paths are “older,” too. We knew this was a retirement mecca, but we didn't expect it to feel quite so much like a retirement home. Note that the demographics charts suggest a mean age here of something like 47, but that is not what we have seen. We had hoped for a wider age demographic because, while we are seniors ourselves, we enjoy a mix of age groups.

OBSERVATION: Hendersonville is a “transient” community. Last Sunday we learned from the choir director of Immaculate Conception—the only Catholic church in H’ville—that the H'ville community is "transient." He meant, he explained, that it’s hard to get a committed choir or ensemble together because so many locals leave for the holidays to be with their families; they go to the coast for the weekend; they travel abroad; so his job is challenging, to say the least. I felt disappointed. I wanted to find a home for my instrument (hammered dulcimer) and to be part of a really good, well-rehearsed church ensemble with a strong sense of comraderie. I am welcome to solo at Immaculate Conception, I was told, and the church has a 23-member ensemble I am welcome to join—but the ensemble performs only four times a year and never for Christmas or Easter. Oh my.

OBSERVATION: Hendersonville has the “usual” crime. We haven't had much time for local newspapers or TV news, but have heard conflicting reports on this board about H’ville crime, so thought we'd comment. We have seen a few wino-vagrants and “strange” people (like one sitting mutely with his knapsack in the middle of a walking path in Jackson Park, and one wearing a mattress-facade and flailing his arms madly beside a Highway 64 intersection, but without the usual advertising). We suspect local crime is mostly related to theft and burglary by vagrants (who come here because they can live outside under a bridge most of the year, as in San Diego), illegal immigrants (who, along with their families, are just plain hungry), and druggies and dealers (who are everywhere, unfortunately, and dangerous, of course, but no more here than in Any Small Town USA). Because unseemly characters tend to operate under cover of darkness, we would not frequent parks at night probably anywhere in the USA. Bottom line, so far we feel relatively safe here in H’ville. Extremely safe, in fact.

CHANGING PERSPECTIVES:

* Maybe we should be in the north or east of Asheville near the largest Catholic church in WNC (Basilica of St. Lawrence) where there would be a much larger congregation of all ages from which to form a regular, active church ensemble. We could also then draw more easily from UNCA (including the “College for Seniors”).

* Maybe we should live within a broader age demographic, since we enjoy the energies of all age groups. Hopefully our new community would include seniors like us whose priorities do not preclude regular local commitments.

* Wherever we buy, we need to be within about fifteen minutes of “the action.” The other night we went to a symphony performance at H'ville High School Auditorium (it was world-class!), and it was lovely to drive there in five minutes, park (free) right in front of the building, enjoy the evening, then drive five minutes back home. We imagine it could take us up to half an hour to drive to that symphony from a development like Pinnacle Falls (about 12 miles southeast of H’ville), depending on (1) traffic and traffic lights and (2) how far into the development we lived. It would take us another half hour to drive from H’ville to the Asheville symphony. (You will hear that it’s a 20-minute drive from H’ville to Asheville, but we have found that not to be the case.) We know for sure that we would not want to commute to northern Asheville every time we go to church, take in a UNCA activity, shop at Greenlife and Earthfare (which we sorely miss in H'ville), or do any other central Asheville thing.

So we're beginning to re-think H'ville as the place we’ll want to live and seeing it more as the place we’ll want to visit. And that’s after only one week of actually living here!

But we’re not sure! We still like H'ville very much; it has a lot to offer: It's slower-paced than Asheville (even its north end), it’s quieter, very clean and beautiful, friendly, full of fun and meaningful activities, has a really neat downtown (without seedy characters), and we sort of fit its age demographic except that maybe we're more active older folks than many others here are. Or maybe we're different because we don't have children/grandchildren to go visit and we've already done most of our traveling, so we're looking for more regular community involvement than many of the others here are. In any case, we could not have anticipated our conflicted feelings about H'ville today!

So we’ve learned immediately that one’s vision of a new place to live will almost certainly not match the reality, no matter the amount of prior research or number of prior visits (in our case tons of both). The reality may be better; it may be worse; it may be some of both; but it probably will be different from the long-held vision. We are grateful to those on this board who advised us to rent before we buy because one can really get to know an area only by living in it!
Please let us know whether sharing our fresh newcomers’ experience has been/will be helpful to you. These are our impressions the first week we’re here. We know that they will continue to evolve. Over time we may well change our minds and correct some of our statements. We will often have new insights to share. Your questions will always be welcome. If you’d like us to keep you posted (heh heh), please give us a thumb’s up.

Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:10 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Hi Jan! I've never visited Hendersonville, but had heard it had turned into mostly a retiree haven. Like you, we are almost seniors ourselves, but enjoy a mix of ages. You may remember that we only get to enjoy our home in Asheville on a part time basis, but believe me, there is FAR more action and happiness to be found in Asheville. If you don't want to live in the city, or need something more affordable, you could look to Weaverville to the north or Black Mountain to the east - I love Black Mountain and it's only 15 minutes from downtown Asheville. You mentioned St. Lawrence Basilica, I think this is such a beautiful church!

While Asheville itself has a lot of newer residents, I think you will find less of a "transient" quality of life there, although I know it does get really quiet in the winter.

Please keep posting your thoughts, I find them very interesting!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hi Jan! I've never visited Hendersonville, but had heard it had turned into mostly a retiree haven. Like you, we are almost seniors ourselves, but enjoy a mix of ages. You may remember that we only get to enjoy our home in Asheville on a part time basis, but believe me, there is FAR more action and happiness to be found in Asheville. If you don't want to live in the city, or need something more affordable, you could look to Weaverville to the north or Black Mountain to the east - I love Black Mountain and it's only 15 minutes from downtown Asheville. You mentioned St. Lawrence Basilica, I think this is such a beautiful church!

While Asheville itself has a lot of newer residents, I think you will find less of a "transient" quality of life there, although I know it does get really quiet in the winter.

Please keep posting your thoughts, I find them very interesting!
Thank you, gypsychic! As I posted last evening in the spirit of helping others, I hadn't thought about how much your responses would help us! We're now thinking--yes--north (Weaverville and also Beaver Lake Rd. area) and east of downtown Asheville (all the way to Black Mountain).

Jan

Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Thank you, gypsychic! As I posted last evening in the spirit of helping others, I hadn't thought about how much your responses would help us! We're now thinking--yes--north (Weaverville and also Beaver Lake Rd. area) and east of downtown Asheville (all the way to Black Mountain).

Jan
Hi Jan, I too am enjoying your posts, keep 'em coming!

Just my 2 cents, I think you should definitely check out Black Mountain - somehow that seems more "you" than Weaverville to me (though I'm sure you are laughing at this as we really don't know one another!).

Right up the road from Black Mountain is Montreat - a real treat of a town which is also home to Montreat College It would most likely be too expensive to buy there, but such close access to the college might give you more chance to find fellow musicians and play that dulcimer of yours. Plus, the ride to Asheville is pretty quick and easy from Black Mountain for attending the basillica.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 AM

442 posts, read 1,510,152 times
Jan - Enjoyed your recent revelations! We will be moving to Marshall in 2 years after much research and visiting. Mars Hill - St. Andrew's will be our closest Catholic church - Does anyone have any information about it? Good luck Jan - we are living your experience vicariously! -Liz

Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
Hendersonville has always been a retiree mecca for as long as I can remember, 1966. The 65 and over population is 31.2% compared to the statewide average of 12.1%. It does seem higher because of the part-timers (snowbirds) who live here between Spring and Winter. The town's character does change somewhat during the winter months. The town also changes in the summer months with the arrival of the tourists and all of the kids attending the many local summer camps. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's 3 Hendersonville's, Winter, Summer and Spring/Fall Hendersonville. I like the seasonal demographic changes.

U.S. Census Profile - http://censtats.census.gov/data/NC/1603730720.pdf

The person wearing the mattress at U.S.64-E (Four Seasons Blvd.) and Dana Road is advertising for Verlo's located in that area. On occasion, the advertiser also wears a Statue of Liberty costume. Apparently, it works. Verlo has been using it for years to drum up store business.

Last edited by mm34b; 10-16-2007 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hi Jan, I too am enjoying your posts, keep 'em coming!

Just my 2 cents, I think you should definitely check out Black Mountain - somehow that seems more "you" than Weaverville to me (though I'm sure you are laughing at this as we really don't know one another!).

Right up the road from Black Mountain is Montreat - a real treat of a town which is also home to Montreat College It would most likely be too expensive to buy there, but such close access to the college might give you more chance to find fellow musicians and play that dulcimer of yours. Plus, the ride to Asheville is pretty quick and easy from Black Mountain for attending the basillica.
Thanks for that, lovesMountains! We will definitely check out Black Mountain again--and now Montreat, which we've never considered--good idea! Last time we looked, we didn't find much in the way of main-level living in newer, smaller houses in a close-knit community, but we can look harder. That area is home to the only two "live" friends we have in NC--they live just west of Black Mountain. It would be cool to live close to them. (We also truly appreciate our "virtual" friends here on this board and hope to meet some of you some day!!)

Old 10-16-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Jan - Enjoyed your recent revelations! We will be moving to Marshall in 2 years after much research and visiting. Mars Hill - St. Andrew's will be our closest Catholic church - Does anyone have any information about it? Good luck Jan - we are living your experience vicariously! -Liz
Hi, Liz!
Thanks for posting! Well, it so happens that we DID explore St. Andrew's as we drove through Mars Hill last December. It is a small church in what looks like a converted one-story residence, accessible up a steep, unpaved, rough, narrow road right off the main road (a little bit hard to find the first time). I don't know how people drive up that road if there's any snow or ice, and parking is at the top. The church was not open, unfortunately, so we couldn't see inside to the sanctuary. A couple of days earlier, the owner (can't think of her name) of a Weaverville restaurant called the The Mill served us a delicious home-cooked dinner. She (and her late husband) attended St. Andrew's for years and warmly invited us to join her church. We didn't get to go, but now you know what we know!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Hendersonville has always been a retiree mecca for as long as I can remember, 1966. The 65 and over population is 31.2% compared to the statewide average of 12.1%. It does seem higher because of the part-timers (snowbirds) who live here between Spring and Winter. The town's character does change somewhat during the winter months. The town also changes in the summer months with the arrival of the tourists and all of the kids attending the many local summer camps. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's 3 Hendersonville's, Winter, Summer and Spring/Fall Hendersonville. I like the seasonal demographic changes.

U.S. Census Profile - http://censtats.census.gov/data/NC/1603730720.pdf

The person wearing the mattress at U.S.64-E (Four Seasons Blvd.) and Dana Road is advertising for Verlo's located in that area. On occasion, the advertiser also wears a Statue of Liberty costume. Apparently, it works. Verlo has been using it for years to drum up store business.
Thanks, mm34b! It's good to know there's one less demented person in the world! I think the fella should bear the name of the store he's advertising, but of course locals already know that (and now so do we).

Thanks for the info about H'ville's "seasonal demographics." I was hoping you would. Very interesting!! It also explains why Immaculate Conception has such a tough time putting regular year-round groups together.

Last edited by the Parkies; 10-16-2007 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-16-2007, 02:15 PM

442 posts, read 1,510,152 times
Jan - We will be in Asheville the weekend of November 8-11 - We are going to the River District Arts Stroll River District Artists Check it out - Maybe we will see you there - thanks for the info on St. Andrews. What restuarants have you tried in Asheville? So far we have eaten at The Marketplace, Table, Old Europe Bistro and Carmels - our friends loved the Lobster Trap but we haven't tried it yet -
To mm34b - thanks for all the maps and graphics links they are really useful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina