Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:52 PM

15 posts, read 32,920 times

Advertisements

Let's start a thread, and cheerfully keep it helpful, not ugly! Just impressions. Your description of Biltmore Lakes, for example, was very helpful. I want to be near the action, but not at the risk of congestion every time I go out for milk! The next guy might have moved from Manhattan, and could care less about a little traffic--

Kathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 02:07 PM

758 posts, read 2,287,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn9 View Post
Let's start a thread, and cheerfully keep it helpful, not ugly! Just impressions. Your description of Biltmore Lakes, for example, was very helpful. I want to be near the action, but not at the risk of congestion every time I go out for milk! The next guy might have moved from Manhattan, and could care less about a little traffic--

Kathy
Thanks, Kathy--that's good. Other input, anyone?

Jan

Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM

94 posts, read 227,341 times
Yes, please keep the diary posts coming. Your posts and the replies are helpful.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian2005 View Post
Yes, please keep the diary posts coming. Your posts and the replies are helpful.
Sorry, I meant to ask if there's any other input about the idea of another new thread discussing specific developments--but I appreciate your encouragement just the same! Thanks, Marian!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:47 PM

168 posts, read 691,337 times
Hello Parkies! We are finally here...living amongst a maze of boxes, but here. I love reading your posts about living in H-ville! I haven't had the time to read this entire thread (just found the monitor to the computer yesterday :P) but I feel like we are still in the honeymoon phase of Hendersonville living. Perhaps it's the difference in personal circumstances, or difference in places we formerly lived, but hubby and I are THRILLED with this place! Forgive me, we are coming from a city that is rougly the same population but about 1/3 of the business and 1/8 the charm. Haven't noticed the retired folks too much, but then again we are coming from Florida! Can retired folks be "white noise"??? LOL! We finally got our oldest enrolled in school and couldn't be happier with the welcome that they gave us! We are also committed to working on the boxes and mess for only so long per day, and then taking some time to check out our new hometown. Silly, I know, but I feel so at home here, even knowing not a soul. Moutain-life is new to us, coming from the plains of the Midwest (where hubby and I were born and raised) to the sandbox of North Florida...we were just amazed at the view from the Target parking lot in Arden! LMBO!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Amazing developments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zmom View Post
Hello Parkies! We are finally here...living amongst a maze of boxes, but here. I love reading your posts about living in H-ville! I haven't had the time to read this entire thread (just found the monitor to the computer yesterday :P) but I feel like we are still in the honeymoon phase of Hendersonville living. Perhaps it's the difference in personal circumstances, or difference in places we formerly lived, but hubby and I are THRILLED with this place! Forgive me, we are coming from a city that is rougly the same population but about 1/3 of the business and 1/8 the charm. Haven't noticed the retired folks too much, but then again we are coming from Florida! Can retired folks be "white noise"??? LOL! We finally got our oldest enrolled in school and couldn't be happier with the welcome that they gave us! We are also committed to working on the boxes and mess for only so long per day, and then taking some time to check out our new hometown. Silly, I know, but I feel so at home here, even knowing not a soul. Moutain-life is new to us, coming from the plains of the Midwest (where hubby and I were born and raised) to the sandbox of North Florida...we were just amazed at the view from the Target parking lot in Arden! LMBO!
Hi, a2zmom, and welcome to H'ville--I feel your joy!!! I knew you'd check in with the board. I agree with Father John (returning on the 21st, thank goodness!) that this forum consists of a circle of honest, caring friends we'd truly like to meet in a coffee shop (and maybe someday we will!).

You're "thrilled" to be here and so are we, a2zmom! We will always visit and enjoy H'ville--it is a very special place. It just isn't right for me--to BUY here, I mean--and I suddenly realized why: Although I'm a senior like so many H'ville residents, I'M NOT READY TO RETIRE!--I didn't "know" that--and that's been the bee in my bonnet! I STILL WANT TO WORK--for monetary compensation, yes--money makes more travel possible--but mostly for simple self-fulfillment and a desire to "reach out" and "give back." So I want to live near the places and people that could use a professional ensemble. My hammered dulcimer has been "talking" to me a lot these past few days, and I've been listening.

So a couple of days ago, when this self-insight came, I told all of you that I'm thinking EAST of Asheville now--all the way to Black Mountain, which is another very special town, to be closer to Asheville's "action" (UNCA, the Basilica, a plethora of special events in the Asheville area). Then came some stunning "serendipity"--actually, an answer to prayers:

Yesterday, our only two friends in this region accepted our invitation to brunch next Sunday and at the same time enthusiastically invited us to join them in their own dulcimer madness! They've been doing here what we were doing in San Diego (live music for special events), and now want us to join them in a variety of intriguing ways! They are a little younger than us but, like us, won't retire utterly until God makes them. So I couldn't sleep last night for joy--! And I thought about how fortunate it is that we are just renting (there's that word again, folks) and didn't buy that house in Weaverville last August. We are going to have a full and amazing life even if we're involved with only this one couple and all that they are involved with (they actually need our help!). BUT: To join them in Black Mountain, we need to sell our house in San Diego, right??? More stunning "serendipity":

Today our realtor called to say that we'll be getting an offer on our San Diego house as soon as the buyers' realtor returns to town this Sunday or Monday!!! Over the past few weeks a certain couple have spent days examining our house, imagining all that they will do with it (major stuff), and now have decided to try to buy it. Imagine that!--our house!

All this in three days!! Be still, my heart!!

If our house sells now, after nine months in this market, it will seem like nothing short of a miracle to us. And if we can sell, anyone can--so hang in there, all of you! The market has picked up recently in our zip code, we're told. So watch--yours may be next!

I KNOW. We don't even have the offer yet, and it might come in ridiculously low, and anything can happen all the way to the last day of escrow. So we're not losing sleep because we're excited about selling there... and buying here... and picking up the good life of music again with two terrific friends in Black Mountain....

Nothing of the sort. Not us.

P.S. Remember my original post? There is a huge difference between envisioning life here and living here. We couldn't even have envisioned all that is happening to us now, and all that is happening has changed--and continues to change--our perspective!!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:31 AM

168 posts, read 691,337 times
Good Luck with the sale of your SD home, Jan! *crosses fingers* This is the type of market that scares me to death about buying a home! Hubby and I have decided to rent for at least the next year and then decide if H-ville is all we've been dreaming of...so far, so good!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:01 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Hi, a2zmom, and welcome to H'ville--I feel your joy!!! I knew you'd check in with the board. I agree with Father John (returning on the 21st, thank goodness!) that this forum consists of a circle of honest, caring friends we'd truly like to meet in a coffee shop (and maybe someday we will!).

You're "thrilled" to be here and so are we, a2zmom! We will always visit and enjoy H'ville--it is a very special place. It just isn't right for me--to BUY here, I mean--and I suddenly realized why: Although I'm a senior like so many H'ville residents, I'M NOT READY TO RETIRE!--I didn't "know" that--and that's been the bee in my bonnet! I STILL WANT TO WORK--for monetary compensation, yes--money makes more travel possible--but mostly for simple self-fulfillment and a desire to "reach out" and "give back." So I want to live near the places and people that could use a professional ensemble. My hammered dulcimer has been "talking" to me a lot these past few days, and I've been listening.

So a couple of days ago, when this self-insight came, I told all of you that I'm thinking EAST of Asheville now--all the way to Black Mountain, which is another very special town, to be closer to Asheville's "action" (UNCA, the Basilica, a plethora of special events in the Asheville area). Then came some stunning "serendipity"--actually, an answer to prayers:

Yesterday, our only two friends in this region accepted our invitation to brunch next Sunday and at the same time enthusiastically invited us to join them in their own dulcimer madness! They've been doing here what we were doing in San Diego (live music for special events), and now want us to join them in a variety of intriguing ways! They are a little younger than us but, like us, won't retire utterly until God makes them. So I couldn't sleep last night for joy--! And I thought about how fortunate it is that we are just renting (there's that word again, folks) and didn't buy that house in Weaverville last August. We are going to have a full and amazing life even if we're involved with only this one couple and all that they are involved with (they actually need our help!). BUT: To join them in Black Mountain, we need to sell our house in San Diego, right??? More stunning "serendipity":

Today our realtor called to say that we'll be getting an offer on our San Diego house as soon as the buyers' realtor returns to town this Sunday or Monday!!! Over the past few weeks a certain couple have spent days examining our house, imagining all that they will do with it (major stuff), and now have decided to try to buy it. Imagine that!--our house!

All this in three days!! Be still, my heart!!

If our house sells now, after nine months in this market, it will seem like nothing short of a miracle to us. And if we can sell, anyone can--so hang in there, all of you! The market has picked up recently in our zip code, we're told. So watch--yours may be next!

I KNOW. We don't even have the offer yet, and it might come in ridiculously low, and anything can happen all the way to the last day of escrow. So we're not losing sleep because we're excited about selling there... and buying here... and picking up the good life of music again with two terrific friends in Black Mountain....

Nothing of the sort. Not us.

P.S. Remember my original post? There is a huge difference between envisioning life here and living here. We couldn't even have envisioned all that is happening to us now, and all that is happening has changed--and continues to change--our perspective!!
Awww, Jan - sounds like everything is coming together for you! I bet you will be closing on your SD home in no time, and with no problems! And I do believe that Black Mountain is where you will find your "paradise" to buy, when the time comes. I love it there, it is a special little town. It reminds me of a cool little California town, although no specific one - it's just a vibe. I was first interested in buying a home around there, but we ended up just east of downtown Asheville. Which is perfect for our current situation, since that house sits empty much of the time, and I have nice neighbors that look out for it.

I am curious - do you feel any remorse at all for leaving SD? I know the whole thing is still new and exciting to you, so maybe it's not enough time to assess yet. But I am asking because we originally bought our little house in Asheville with the idea that it may one day be our retirement home (way in the future), but in the meantime, we moved to another town in Florida, where hubby still works, and we are really liking it here a lot - so now I feel a bit torn. Love the mountains and climate and vibrance of the Asheville area, but the town we live in now, looks like a beautiful California town, all tropical with shimmering lakes, Spanish architecture, etc., but just minus that perfect climate. So, any regrets for leaving California?

Good luck with that sale!

Blessings,
gypsychic

Old 10-20-2007, 09:28 AM

70 posts, read 219,493 times
Glad to hear the news about the possible offer on the San Diego home. We are in the process of closing and moving to Fletcher in the next month and we are going to leave our South Florida condo here to sell. We can't wait any longer and need to move on. We are hoping that it will go in the next three months, which will be six months on the market and many lowered prices on it and upgrades we did.

Life goes on...we have to get to NC!!

Old 10-21-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zmom View Post
Good Luck with the sale of your SD home, Jan! *crosses fingers* This is the type of market that scares me to death about buying a home! Hubby and I have decided to rent for at least the next year and then decide if H-ville is all we've been dreaming of...so far, so good!
Thanks, a2zmom--we may need all the finger-crossing we can get! Our prospective buyers are a couple, both attorneys, working with a realtor who is an attorney married to an attorney. (Imagine the odds of that! ) So we're pitted against four attorneys! No disrespect for attorneys--in another life I was a legal secretary and later a paralegal--but somehow this doesn't quite feel like Alice in Wonderland....

OH--maybe you should be "scared to death" to even think about buying a house right now, a2zmom! I'm amazed we haven't heard from Tony1790 on this thread. He has already advised us all NOT to buy a house in this market (he just sold 12 of them, if I recall rightly, taking a loss sometimes, just to unload instead of "chasing the market"). I know that Tony would tell us, if he were sitting in right now, to TAKE any offer we GET this weekend and "rejoice and be glad."

In any case, we think you're very smart to rent while you and the market sort things out.... Meanwhile, all that really matters, when you think about it, is that you're happy!! After all, you're HERE living your dream!

So for you it IS "Alice in Wonderland." And from that point of view, it is for us, too!

Jan

Last edited by the Parkies; 10-21-2007 at 12:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina