Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:28 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Jan - We will be in Asheville the weekend of November 8-11 - We are going to the River District Arts Stroll River District Artists Check it out - Maybe we will see you there - thanks for the info on St. Andrews. What restuarants have you tried in Asheville? So far we have eaten at The Marketplace, Table, Old Europe Bistro and Carmels - our friends loved the Lobster Trap but we haven't tried it yet -
To mm34b - thanks for all the maps and graphics links they are really useful
Loves mountains, we calendared the River District Arts Stroll for Nov. 8-11 and would be tickled to meet up with you--thanks for the idea! (Please email or telephone your date when you know it, and your cell, if you like.)

We've enjoyed ALL the Asheville restaurants we've tried, from Greenlife and EarthFare's cafe buffets to Biltmore House and Grove Park Inn's fine dining. Tupelo Honey Cafe downtown was a bit too noisy and cluttered for us, but the food and service were very good. Jack in the Wood is a warm, friendly pub downtown with terrific fish tacos, local beer, and live music--we've been there many times. And right up the inside staircase from Jack's is our favorite of all: The Laughing Seed Cafe--all vegetarian and super! We'd drive out of our way to eat at The Laughing Seed! (Oh my. One more reason we need to settle closer to central Asheville!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
To mm34b - thanks for all the maps and graphics links they are really useful
I second that!!! --Jan

Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM

15 posts, read 32,938 times
Default Delighted...

to find the Parkies! My husband and I are also looking for a planned community in the Asheville area, and we will enjoy the hunt with such convivial folks! We are driving up this weekend for the first time to look at some townhome communities, and are pretty excited. We have visited the area frequently, but not with the idea of buying a home.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn9 View Post
to find the Parkies! My husband and I are also looking for a planned community in the Asheville area, and we will enjoy the hunt with such convivial folks! We are driving up this weekend for the first time to look at some townhome communities, and are pretty excited. We have visited the area frequently, but not with the idea of buying a home.
Thank you, kathryn9! Your enthusiasm jumped right through my computer screen and slapped a grin on my face--WELCOME!

Wait. Are we hosting our first "Welcome Wagon" our ninth day here?? First some of you folks on the board and then a new couple two houses down who just moved in today? I guess we really DO live here now! SO funny--and good--to be on the other end of the chain!

kathryn9, in which communities, and which developments, will you two be looking? We're trying to get acquainted with more of them ourselves. And exactly what are you calling a "townhome"? We've been a bit confused about the use of that term....

Jan

Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,416 times
Default Fresh Market

If in either Hendersonville or Asheville, also check out the Fresh Market stores.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 PM

92 posts, read 480,248 times
Parkies,

You already know I'm interested in your insights as you settle in and further explore the area. Just wanted to reply here and join the others in thanking you for taking the time to let us share in your fun, frustrations, and observations.

I'll be especially interested in what you find and think about the Black Mountain area. In my early internet research, I did a quick look at housing / properties in the area and didn't really find much that seemed to fit what we think we want so didn't spend any more time looking out that direction. May need to give it another look as well.

Enjoy!

Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vq1 View Post
If in either Hendersonville or Asheville, also check out the Fresh Market stores.
Absolutely. Last year we shopped at two of them, I think, in Asheville (north of town and northeast of town, if memory serves me), and they were excellent. The one in Hendersonville is, too, though much smaller, naturally. Thanks for the reminder.

OBSERVATION: This area has much more in the way of "natural foods" and "fresh foods" and "freshly prepared foods" and "organic foods" and "curb markets" and "farmers' markets" (Fresh Market, Greenlife, and Earthfare are only some of the bigger ones) than anything we've ever seen before, even in San Diego. Since we're huge produce fans, consuming quarts of fruits and vegies every day, we count that as one of the big "bennies" of this region!!!

P.S. We've noticed that you get what you pay for, usually, and that's true for quality of produce as well.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researching Retirement View Post
Parkies,

You already know I'm interested in your insights as you settle in and further explore the area. Just wanted to reply here and join the others in thanking you for taking the time to let us share in your fun, frustrations, and observations.

I'll be especially interested in what you find and think about the Black Mountain area. In my early internet research, I did a quick look at housing / properties in the area and didn't really find much that seemed to fit what we think we want so didn't spend any more time looking out that direction. May need to give it another look as well.

Enjoy!
Tickled to hear from you, Researching Retirement! Yep--we are feeling increasingly "jazzed" about exploring East Asheville, Black Mountain, and everything in between. We have only two friends who live in this region--a wonderful married couple who for many years have resided near Riceville Forest (east Asheville), have maintained a business in Black Mountain, and have worked all over the region as freelance musicians. We hope to see them this weekend (as our first houseguests!) and, if we can stop hugging them long enough, we'll pick their brains to pieces and share the booty with all of you!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:36 AM

Okay. It's settled, then. Remember--you encouraged me. I will continue to enter "observations" in this "diary" until you beg me to stop!!

OBSERVATION: The white squirrel that lived on our property for a solid week in September has never been seen here again. We miss him, but understand that he must have family responsibilities in Brevard. It was good of him to visit. Gray squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and domestic cats still entertain us at every meal through the sliding glass doors on two sides of our breakfast/dining room. We will provide a bird bath this week.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 AM

187 posts, read 1,023,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Absolutely. Last year we shopped at two of them, I think, in Asheville (north of town and northeast of town, if memory serves me), and they were excellent. The one in Hendersonville is, too, though much smaller, naturally. Thanks for the reminder.

OBSERVATION: This area has much more in the way of "natural foods" and "fresh foods" and "freshly prepared foods" and "organic foods" and "curb markets" and "farmers' markets" (Fresh Market, Greenlife, and Earthfare are only some of the bigger ones) than anything we've ever seen before, even in San Diego. Since we're huge produce fans, consuming quarts of fruits and vegies every day, we count that as one of the big "bennies" of this region!!!

P.S. We've noticed that you get what you pay for, usually, and that's true for quality of produce as well.
If you really like quality produce, you really need to buy as much of it at the Farmer's Market as possible - local produce for the most part (unless it's out of season), much better quality, bought directly from the farmers who have grown it (usually), and WAY cheaper than any of the grocery stores. I like Greenlife and Earthfare as much as the next person, but decent prices isn't something they are very good at, especially regarding produce. I have calculated that the same produce at the grocery stores is about 3 to 4 times the cost and not nearly as good.

If you haven't been there before, it's right off I-40 in West Asheville - take the exit for Route 191. This time of year, the place is fantastic - the fall produce and seasonal crafts are really amazing.

As an aside, welcome to town - I wish all of the transplants were as enthusiastic as you about being part of this community instead of trying to make it into the community they just left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina