Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 03:38 PM

485 posts, read 562,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Can you tell we're vegie freaks?? We spend money on vegies instead of meat! Our protein comes from fish, soy, legumes, dairy... who needs meat?... so we're thrilled to find high-quality produce in H'ville!!!
That is us to a "T!" I keep finding out how alike we are, Jan. Scary!!

I'm jealous of the time you are having, but soon.... soon, God willing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM

758 posts, read 2,289,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
That is us to a "T!" I keep finding out how alike we are, Jan. Scary!!

I'm jealous of the time you are having, but soon.... soon, God willing!
No, no--you're envious, Father John. I'm jealous. And jealousy is a sin, as you know. That's why I've been self-flagellating ever since your thread about getting all that interest in your house before you've even had your garage sale, while we're going into our tenth month without a buyer. You keep this up, Father John, and I may be using an old, rusty, iron thrasher on myself before the month is up!!

But for now... I'm still enamored of that young white squirrel named Sugar. She runs up a 10-foot branchy tree right outside our dinette and our office, pauses in the middle to wave her tail in an undulating (seductive? happy?) little dance, then scurries back down to nibble on another nut, seed, or kernel of corn before effortlessly scaling a 25-foot tree nearby. Four wrens(?) sparrows(?) and a cardinal share in the ritual on a bed of crunchy autumn leaves. Earlier two gray squirrels and a chipmunk entertained us.

We enjoy the wildlife so much that we're getting all the windows washed. Six sliding glass doors and about 30 windows are a bit too much for us to handle, especially with some of them 15 feet up from the ground. So we used H'ville's BellSouth Yellow Pages--two listings, two calls (to compare), and the windows will be washed. Small towns are great!!!

We spent most of yesterday driving the Parkway toward Grandfather Mountain. Quite seriously... we can't realize, on an emotional level, that we live here now. We know we're here--we just paid the rent--but it's like we expect to wake up at any minute. We are repeatedly stunned by the beauty of the layers and layers of multi-colored mountains on the Parkway, then suddenly realize--it feels like true shock every time it happens--that these are "our" mountains where we live! We're not just on vacation again! Praise God!!! This happy reality is going to take some time to sink in....!!

Meanwhile my semi-conscious mind is preparing to teach dulcimer starting in January (people buy dulcimers for Christmas). Created business cards in the computer today and am looking forward to that wonderful new adventure!!!

Today I also found a man I think will be a great dentist. (One of you kindly suggested a dentist, but turned out he wasn't a member of our plan.) For those of you who don't know: Hendersonville's Pardee Hospital has a free directory of all the doctors, dentists, nurses, etc. who work at the hospital as part of their practice. What a recommendation that was! And they're listed by specialty. So I picked a dentist from that list who's a member of our plan. That's how we found our primary physician as well! That's got to be one of our best tips for newcomers here--use the resources of Pardee Hospital!

All of this will be yours, too, Father John, and the rest of you whose lives are temporarily in a holding pattern....

Thanks, all of you, for your questions and comments!!! I really enjoy them!!!!!!

Jan

Old 11-01-2007, 05:47 PM

168 posts, read 691,979 times
Well, I wouldn't cut out meat entirely out of our diet...I am a midwest girl who LOVES a good steak! I also cannot bring myself to eat sweetcorn unless it's from my sister's field...call me spoiled, but there is no sweetcorn like Illinois sweetcorn!

Don't know if you're interested in seeds, but I believe that my sister got her MWC seeds from Burpee's or one of those various seed catalogs...the difference, of course, is that they have a greenhouse the size of a football field in their backyard... Don't know if you have quite that set up.

We have also felt the "Holy Cow, we LIVE here!" feelings... I don't know if you've had the chance to check out "Jump Off Rock" but the kids and I took a drive out that way today after school....WOW! I forgot my camera, but we will be back this weekend. It's a great little afternoon drive (about 10 minutes) amongst some gorgeous fall foliage.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:54 PM

Aw, man, you guys are making me JEALOUS! I wish I were there with you! It sounds so nice. Heaven is not far off, I hope. We are working our way there...

Old 11-01-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zmom View Post
I don't know if you've had the chance to check out "Jump Off Rock" but the kids and I took a drive out that way today after school....WOW! I forgot my camera, but we will be back this weekend. It's a great little afternoon drive (about 10 minutes) amongst some gorgeous fall foliage.
Thanks, a2zmom. Jump Off Rock will be our next out-of-body experience! We picked up various maps at Staples, but the H'ville paper gave simple, clear directions. We've been looking forward to seeing that famous spot!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,017,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Thanks, a2zmom. Jump Off Rock will be our next out-of-body experience! We picked up various maps at Staples, but the H'ville paper gave simple, clear directions. We've been looking forward to seeing that famous spot!
Directions to Jump Off Rock are easy. From downtown HVL, go west on 5th Street past the Post Office about 5 miles until you run out of road. You're there.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc107/mm34b/JOR5.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Directions to Jump Off Rock are easy. From downtown HVL, go west on 5th Street past the Post Office about 5 miles until you run out of road. You're there.
Oh gosh. With your directions, mm34b, I'll bet even Father John (hic) could get there, even after housing his yard and hosing his house... and I'm sure, if he were here, he'd (hic) let us all knows house it looks out there on Rump Off Jock. (Shame, Father John!!)

Thanks, mm34b. I assume we'll find Jump Off Mountain on our way to Jump Off Rock. It'd be kind of hard to miss a mountain. Mmmm... but if Father John doesn't sell his hose this weekend, I suspect he'll be rumping off that jock!

Tsk.

Jan

Last edited by mm34b; 11-02-2007 at 09:25 PM..

Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 PM

I am SOOO embarrassed! Jocks and Rumps and Hoses, oh my!

For me, the important thing is to remember my garage is full of furniture and kick knacks, Patti Black, and my cars are in the back yard!

I've been guzzling cappuccinos to keep my eyelids propped open but I have been getting the exercise to work 'em off. To bed before 9 and up at 5:00 for more set-up.

This is the sale that never ends.... sing it, Lamb Chop!

Good night, Sherrie Lewis.

Good night, John boy.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
I am SOOO embarrassed! Jocks and Rumps and Hoses, oh my!

For me, the important thing is to remember my garage is full of furniture and kick knacks, Patti Black, and my cars are in the back yard!

I've been guzzling cappuccinos to keep my eyelids propped open but I have been getting the exercise to work 'em off. To bed before 9 and up at 5:00 for more set-up.

This is the sale that never ends.... sing it, Lamb Chop!

Good night, Sherrie Lewis.

Good night, John boy.
LOL!!!!

Jan & Bill

Old 11-02-2007, 07:42 PM

168 posts, read 691,979 times
Default Just a few...

Pics from our trip back to Jump Off Rock this afternoon. The sun was still high in the sky, so they are a bit hazy...our next trip will be at sunset. You get the idea though...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/a2zmom48fan/JumpOffRockNov2007039.jpg (broken link)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/a2zmom48fan/JumpOffRockNov2007040.jpg (broken link)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/a2zmom48fan/JumpOffRockNov2007007.jpg (broken link)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/a2zmom48fan/JumpOffRockNov2007006.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina