Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:33 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Hi Jan,
I've been away for a couple of weeks and just read of your intent to end the Diary. It has been a delight to share these months with you. I will suffer serious withdrawal if you don't continue to write about the place I hope to some day call home.

Please consider Father John's suggestion to start a new thread. I look forward to the continuing adventures of Jan and Bill, Father John, Loves Mountains, mm34b, Live Love Laugh, a2zmom and of all the others.

I thank you all!
-Xenah
Oh my goodness--thank you, Xenah! I am glad to have inspired you to write this, your first post, and hope that you will become more active in this wonderful forum.

Thanks to all of you who have encouraged me to write in my "diary." I will be delighted to continue writing in a brand new thread ("Ramblings of a New Resident"?)--but first I have to prepare for 26 students coming to three group dulcimer lessons beginning this Friday. I want to inspire each and every one of them to follow their dreams, hear the joyful voice of God in those strings, and have confidence that they can reach their goals. Please pray for me!!

Let's all have a truly HAPPY NEW YEAR, RICH IN THE BLESSINGS OF HEALTHY BODY, ACTIVE BUT PEACEFUL MIND, AND GRATEFUL HEART! MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE US, EVERY ONE!!!

Love,

Jan (and Bill)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 12:28 PM

116 posts, read 446,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kate View Post
So where did we end up......Black Mountain. DUKE101

So how are you liking it so far??? I asked my Realtor about it because we are so "drawn"to it & she says it is at least 40 min from the Asheville Racquet Club. I thought it was closer. We don't think we are "gated community" types- there's nothing like that here- but places like The Settings look so pretty at least their website does. Do you know anything about them?
2kate,
Sorry I did not write back sooner. Mom was in town for the Holidays, hope you all had a blessed one!
Black Mountain so far is wonderful. We bought a old home in the "historic district". We can walk to the lake or to town in about 2 minutes.
We think it is absolutely beautiful here, nice people and my husband enjoy's his 15 minute commute home. Downtown is cute and charming, the other side of town and up the mountain is The Settings also pretty with lovely views. We are not sub-division people either, but if we were going to live in one, it would be The Settings.
Black Mountain also does have a nice health club which I think has racquet ball, Cheshire, it is located just down from The Settings.
Good Luck,
Duke101

Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,626 times
Default restaurants in Asheville

You must try Tupelo Honey. It is downtown, not sure what street. Wonderful food, small friendly atmosphere, slightly offbeat, reasonably priced, be sure to get there early to avoid a long wait.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 19,869 times
Default Diary of a Transplant . . .

Dear Parkies, you are right-on when you speak of the difference between actually living there and research/visits/etc. It has to do with 'how do you feel there, at a gut level'. Thus far, I've transplanted myself to places such as Lagos, Nigeria (husband got temp job), Anchorage, Kauai, NY, NJ, S CA and my spiritual home in Northern CA. I moved here to New Orleans to marry I guy that I often wonder if I'd have married, if, say, he lived in Oaklahoma City (no offense; its just that NOLA is SOOO seductive.

Okay, I have a question for y'all: After Katrina, I lived and worked in Highlands ('Aspen-east', as one friend observed) and fell in love with WNC. I am -- quite soon -- going to actually be able to move to WNC. I've been looking in the SW part - Hayesville, etc. b/c I want to buy a small piece of land and have a yurt built. Seems a bit further than I'd like, but finances count. Now, I really loved the little town of Black Mountain (Oh, The Folk Arts Center -- don't miss it!) but I wonder if BM would even have anything from 1/4 acre to -- preferably 1 acre I could afford. I enjoy reading about towns I did not have a chance to visit but read about here, Weaverville, Blowing Rock and, of course, Hendersonville. I am, gulp, 66 this year, but active, youthful looks and spirit. I'd love to be in an area with creative pursuits I paint, write, etc.(what with the price of gas, having to drive very far for a play needs budgeting). I had also made many trips to Franklin, and found it quite friendly. If possible, I'd like to be near a community that has a UU church (ethical living -- if we all did it, the world might yet be saved).

Anyone have any thoughts, comments, suggestions, given my babble above? It goes without saying almost, how much fun it would be to meet you Parkies someday. I, too, like the wide variety of age groups, ethnic groups and so on.

Keep up the 'Diary'; it looks like many folks, beside myself, are enjoying it. I just found you tonight, being new to city-data, what a find!

Hattie

Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 PM

6 posts, read 19,869 times
Oh my gosh, y'all DID move to Black Mountain! Glad to hear of your delight. There is a B&B, the Red Rocker Inn, whose dinner's are open to the public, from soup to dessert and the food is wonderful. . . .

Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Dear Parkies, you are right-on when you speak of the difference between actually living there and research/visits/etc. It has to do with 'how do you feel there, at a gut level'....

Okay, I have a question for y'all: .... Anyone have any thoughts, comments, suggestions....

Keep up the 'Diary'; it looks like many folks, beside myself, are enjoying it. I just found you tonight, being new to city-data, what a find!

Hattie
Welcome to the forum, Hattie, and thank you for your posts. You sound like a fascinating couple, and we would—yes!—enjoy coffee with you some day soon!

I am excited for you that you will be able to move to WNC! I will leave your questions about the area for those more knowledgeable, but will suggest that you “search†this forum for “Black Mountain†(yes, it’s pricey) and “Highlands†and “Transylvania County†(check out the weather, especially). There have been many posts about these areas by people much more in the know. We’re still newbies here.

Someone on this forum recently suggested that no one should even try to judge an area until he/she has lived there for a year. We second that motion. Yes, Hattie, there is a gut, and it does know, but it should be fed lots of information before we listen to it. So gather lots of information and make a very well-informed decision. Then, having taken the leap of faith and moved here, stop making judgments and just mingle with the rest of those in the same washing machine with you before you look for "spots." After a year, should you find "spots," either graciously overlook them or spend your energy searching for every opportunity to "treat" them by actively contributing to your new community. If you do this, you will feel at home in no time. That’s our best advice as newbies.

One correction: We didn’t move to Black Mountain—not quite. We bought a home in east Asheville (our mailing address is Asheville) so that we could be exactly halfway between our two favorite places—Asheville and Black Mountain. We frequent both of them every week. And thank you for recommending the Red Rocker Inn. We have been looking forward to taking friends there soon.

You remind me that I haven’t posted an update to this diary in quite a while. Thanks for your encouragement. I’ll work on it.

Good luck to you and yours, Hattie. May ALL your dreams come true!!

Peace and joy,

Jan

Old 07-10-2008, 06:03 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
One correction: We didn’t move to Black Mountain—not quite. We bought a home in east Asheville (our mailing address is Asheville) so that we could be exactly halfway between our two favorite places—Asheville and Black Mountain.

Jan
Hi Jan,

Which general part of East Asheville are you in? Going East you have the VA medical center, then the Warren Wilson College area, then Swannanoa, Then Black Mountain.

I grew up in the Asheville and Black Mountain area's, college street in Black Mountain.

What are they building over by Ingles?

Tony

Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Hi Jan,

Which general part of East Asheville are you in? Going East you have the VA medical center, then the Warren Wilson College area, then Swannanoa, Then Black Mountain.

I grew up in the Asheville and Black Mountain area's, college street in Black Mountain.

What are they building over by Ingles?

Tony
As you leave Asheville and drive on Highway 70 (Tunnel Road) east, you pass the Folk Arts Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We're very near that.

Sorry, Tony, there are two Ingles on Highway 70 between Asheville and Black Mountain, and we can't recall any building at either place. We'll look more closely next time we drive by them.

Jan

Last edited by the Parkies; 07-10-2008 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post

Sorry, Tony, there are two Ingles on Highway 70 between Asheville and Black Mountain, and we can't recall any building at either place. We'll look more closely next time we drive by them.

Jan
Sorry, I wasn't very specific, the old Roses was torn down in Black Mountain, I think that Ingles is still standing, the old steak house is gone also. There is a ton of building going on right there, just not sure what's going up.

I'm still in East TN, I'd love to move back to Black Mountain, it's just so expensive there now.

I start LPN school (nursing) on Sept 2nd, I hope that I do well.

Take care,

Tony

p.s. I haven't been following NC boards much, did Father John ever sell his house in AZ and move to NC?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't very specific, the old Roses was torn down in Black Mountain, I think that Ingles is still standing, the old steak house is gone also. There is a ton of building going on right there, just not sure what's going up.

I'm still in East TN, I'd love to move back to Black Mountain, it's just so expensive there now.

I start LPN school (nursing) on Sept 2nd, I hope that I do well.

Take care,

Tony

p.s. I haven't been following NC boards much, did Father John ever sell his house in AZ and move to NC?
Ingles in Black Mountain is still standing. Near it is a development called Cheshire, fairly new and maybe fully occupied by now (I don't know much about it--includes townhouses and a public fitness center), and nearby is The Settings, a high-end mountain view project like The Ramble, Reynolds Mountain, etc.; it has sold quite a few lots (many speculative) but only a couple of houses have been built and only a couple more are in the works. But that's just the market right now.

Grace Jewelry recently moved from rental space next to Song of the Wood into its own quaint building a block or so away--a local success story. Song of the Wood expanded its showroom into Grace Jeweler's (contiguous) old space and now sports an elegant setting for its high-end dulcimers. The focal lights that used to shine on Grace's diamonds now shine on Song of the Wood's hand-crafted dulcimers, "diamonds" of another kind. Cool.

Father John is still trying to sell his house in AZ so he and Laura can move here. He's got a tough row to hoe, but if anyone can do it, he can! Please, everyone, pray for them!

Congratulations on your decision to go to nursing school, Tony! We've talked about that some time back, and I remember how much it means to you and how much you'd like to get back to Black Mountain. One may lead to the other! If you'd like to boost your confidence and be totally inspired to succeed (not "hope" but "count on it"), look at the movie "Pursuit of HappYness," which we found last evening on "Stars," a premium movie channel. It's riveting--a fine story of a man determined to succeed!!

Best to you and your family,

Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina