Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 PM
cgm cgm started this thread

16 posts, read 84,966 times

Advertisements

How bad is the commute from Hendersonville or Brevard area to Asheville?
We will be living in Brevard (or Hendersonville), but want the kids to go to the Carolina Day School (Asheville). Anybody in similar situation? Any diference between the two as far as commuting to Asheville?
Also, any experience with Carolina Day School?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 12:14 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,737 times
Carolina Day School is on Rt. 25 in Asheville. From Brevard, you'd need to travel east on Rt. 280 to either Rt. 191 to pick up the BR Parkway over to Rt. 25, or Long Shoals Rd. over to Rt. 25. Quite a distance. Or, you can travel Rt. 280 to I-26N and get off at Long Shoals Rd. and take a left on Rt. 25. Neither of these are good options from Brevard. Even from downtown Hendersonville, it would be a major traffic trek. I-26 is a major trucking route and at a minimum, one major accident a day, or one major tie-up a day. Two lanes in either direction, an outdated interstate.

Have you considered living in Fletcher, Arden, or somewhere closer to Asheville? I would check with the school and see what bus options are available for the children, and where most of them live. Or check with a good Realtor about the area. The Glen Arden school district in Arden is rated very highly from what I've heard.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Brevard/Hendersonville to Asheville

Thanks for your reply! The problem we face is that we'll be working in Brevard, and we want to find the happy-middle for everybody. I was told that there are car pools for kids not living in Asheville, but I was not sure how long of a drive would be. Do you know anything about Brevard or Hendersonville schools?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:39 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,737 times
I'm not familiar with the schools in Brevard, but do know that the Hendersonville schools are rated very well. There are websites you can go to, but they may not be as accurate as checking with the School Administrations themselves. Brevard is a darling town, very small and I would think it would be a great place to raise children. They could go to school and you could also live in Rosman. Rosman is going to be an up and coming area, but is even further out than Brevard. I hear the schools are pretty good there. As for the kids going to private school, all their friends will be scattered everywhere around here. I'd rather have my kids in a neighborhood school where they can bond with kids in their own neighborhoods. Hendersonville is more centrally located and better highway access. From Brevard, it is difficult to get any interstate or main road other than Rt. 280. It's kind of a sleepy little college town. If you don't mind my saying it, I'd get the kids closer to their schools, and travel to work myself rather than the other way around. To do the Carolina Day School you would definitely need to live in Arden, Fletcher or in that area or you will be "on the road" all the time. It's a good 45 minute ride from Arden to Brevard, or longer. About a half hour depending on traffic to Hendersonville; but only 15 or 20 mins. to Arden or Fletcher. You need a good Realtor, that's the best advice I can give you, because there are developments cropping up where you need to be, depending on your price range and you're going to need amenities for the kids that Brevard won't have. Not knowing your situation, it's difficult to advise. I'd live in Brevard in a heartbeat, but I'm retired as are most that do live there.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:22 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,215 times
I think you're in a win-win situation. There are parents who commute twice the distance that you are considering to Carolina Day. Brevard schools I would rate very,very good for public schools and the same for Hendersonville. If they were my children, my first choice would be Carolina Day, 2nd Brevard, and Hendersonville third.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Thank you Apple Annie, budong!

I appreciate your inputs. It is always challenging to move and make the right choices, especially when it comes to education, and you are not familiar with an area. I think that locals' personal experience is a good source of information. We are relocating from an area where the school system is strong (Bellevue, Wa), and the kids are advanced. I realize that the key to success is not only the school, also the kid, but I would be concerned with the availability of advanced courses, good teachers, etc.
On the other hand we work in healthcare, and should be living close to the Hospital (Brevard), so we couldn't live 45 min away. If I would find that Brevard, or Hendersonville public schools have decent College placement, good teachers, etc, would be just as good.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
Brevard has very good NC test scores. There is also a very good charter school in Brevard. The older kids might be able to take college classes at Brevard College. There is a very serious music camp in Brevard in the summer.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:44 PM

Default schools in nc mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by budong View Post
I think you're in a win-win situation. There are parents who commute twice the distance that you are considering to Carolina Day. Brevard schools I would rate very,very good for public schools and the same for Hendersonville. If they were my children, my first choice would be Carolina Day, 2nd Brevard, and Hendersonville third.
Hi budong, I noticed in one of your previous responses that you used to teach in WNC (mountains). Can you tell me what were your criteria in the above choices? The problem I had with Brevard HS was that they were not offering enough Advanced Placement courses; do you know by any chance if Brevard College offers AP classes/courses for HS students interested?Thanks!

Old 12-08-2006, 06:43 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,215 times
I taught art at the K-5 level in the Buncombe County School system a few years ago and loved it. My kids were great. A friend's husband taught art at Carolina Day and every once in a while I would go over to the school for a visit and wish that I had the same kind of facility that he had. There was a difference of funding. They had it, we didn't. Not that kind of funding anyway. I can't help you with Brevard College. I had friends who went through the public school system, and they loved it and it has a very good reputation in the area, {this was a few years back}as did Hendersonville. If I had a son who wanted to play football or sports,, I'd send him to Hendersonville.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,292 times
Default Brevard, NC

We just moved to Brevard, NC--we were also concerned about schools, coming from Bergen Co, NJ. We were fortunate to find Brevard Academy, a free public charter. We love Brevard Academy and have heard great things about Brevard Elementary and Brevard High School. Overall, it's been great. Brevard is awesome with lots of ammenities and outdoor opportunities for kids. The Music Center, Brevard College, Pisgah, and DuPont make Brevard an easy sell. It's easy (beautiful) driving distance to Asheville, Hendersonville, and Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina