Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:13 AM

758 posts, read 2,287,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Florida View Post
Glad to hear the news about the possible offer on the San Diego home. We are in the process of closing and moving to Fletcher in the next month and we are going to leave our South Florida condo here to sell. We can't wait any longer and need to move on. We are hoping that it will go in the next three months, which will be six months on the market and many lowered prices on it and upgrades we did.

Life goes on...we have to get to NC!!
We feel your angst, Bye Bye Florida--and your joy! Bill and I are so very glad we left our for-sale house behind and moved on to a rental. Our "view" (literally and figuratively) has changed 360 degrees since we left San Diego just a few weeks ago. By the way, we rented a chalet in Fletcher for six weeks last year and thoroughly enjoyed it and the area. Oh my--you're close to all the action!

Congratulations on a major life's decision!!!

Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Florida View Post
Glad to hear the news about the possible offer on the San Diego home. We are in the process of closing and moving to Fletcher in the next month and we are going to leave our South Florida condo here to sell. We can't wait any longer and need to move on. We are hoping that it will go in the next three months, which will be six months on the market and many lowered prices on it and upgrades we did.

Life goes on...we have to get to NC!!
YES-S-S, Bye Bye Florida!!!!!!!!!!

Jan

Old 10-21-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Awww, Jan - sounds like everything is coming together for you! I bet you will be closing on your SD home in no time, and with no problems! And I do believe that Black Mountain is where you will find your "paradise" to buy, when the time comes. I love it there, it is a special little town. It reminds me of a cool little California town, although no specific one - it's just a vibe. I was first interested in buying a home around there, but we ended up just east of downtown Asheville. Which is perfect for our current situation, since that house sits empty much of the time, and I have nice neighbors that look out for it.

I am curious - do you feel any remorse at all for leaving SD? I know the whole thing is still new and exciting to you, so maybe it's not enough time to assess yet. But I am asking because we originally bought our little house in Asheville with the idea that it may one day be our retirement home (way in the future), but in the meantime, we moved to another town in Florida, where hubby still works, and we are really liking it here a lot - so now I feel a bit torn. Love the mountains and climate and vibrance of the Asheville area, but the town we live in now, looks like a beautiful California town, all tropical with shimmering lakes, Spanish architecture, etc., but just minus that perfect climate. So, any regrets for leaving California?

Good luck with that sale!

Blessings,
gypsychic
HUGS to you, gypsychic, for your sweet support--we always enjoy your posts! And by the way we were "blown away" by your unique ability to size us up as "Black Mountain kind of people"!

Thank you for a totally provocative post! Have been thinking. The short answer is NO, neither Bill nor I feel ANY remorse about leaving San Diego. The long answer... well... your question arouses deeper, more subtle layers of thought that I'd like to share with you as soon as I can. (Brunch guests arrive in just a few hours, and I've been sleepless... again... maybe there's no hope for me... ha ha.....)

Meanwhile, MANY THANKS to you, gypsychic, and to ALL those reading and contributing to this thread. We really and truly appreciate your "virtual" friendship!!

Jan

Old 10-21-2007, 05:58 PM

168 posts, read 691,551 times
Yes Jan, we are indeed living our dream...we have been thinking about NC for a several years now and decided to take the leap and go for it! We couldn't see ourselves growing old in IL or FL...but we could ALWAYS see ourselves growing old in NC. So far, so good...even got to see the inside of Pardee's ER today. A quick trip to the Broad River for a sightseeing adventure with our young 'uns turned into a scary ordeal....long story short, my eldest (who is 8) passed out and hit his head on a rock...one VERY quick trip to H-ville and one CAT scan later, he is fine...nothing major, just a few abrasions on his cheek and forehead and a big bump on the back of his head. BTW, I was VERY impressed with Pardee...at our hospital in FL, we would have spent 2 hours just in the waiting room...at Pardee, we were out and on our way home within 2 hours!!!

Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zmom View Post
Yes Jan, we are indeed living our dream...we have been thinking about NC for a several years now and decided to take the leap and go for it! We couldn't see ourselves growing old in IL or FL...but we could ALWAYS see ourselves growing old in NC. So far, so good...even got to see the inside of Pardee's ER today. A quick trip to the Broad River for a sightseeing adventure with our young 'uns turned into a scary ordeal....long story short, my eldest (who is 8) passed out and hit his head on a rock...one VERY quick trip to H-ville and one CAT scan later, he is fine...nothing major, just a few abrasions on his cheek and forehead and a big bump on the back of his head. BTW, I was VERY impressed with Pardee...at our hospital in FL, we would have spent 2 hours just in the waiting room...at Pardee, we were out and on our way home within 2 hours!!!
Oh my. That story's scary enough for Halloween! Ouch!!! So glad it ended well... it could have been much worse. And thanks for sharing the good report on Pardee. Now go have some FUN!

Jan

Old 10-21-2007, 08:20 PM

Default No regrets!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am curious - do you feel any remorse at all for leaving SD? I know the whole thing is still new and exciting to you, so maybe it's not enough time to assess yet. But I am asking because we originally bought our little house in Asheville with the idea that it may one day be our retirement home (way in the future), but in the meantime, we moved to another town in Florida, where hubby still works, and we are really liking it here a lot - so now I feel a bit torn. Love the mountains and climate and vibrance of the Asheville area, but the town we live in now, looks like a beautiful California town, all tropical with shimmering lakes, Spanish architecture, etc., but just minus that perfect climate. So, any regrets for leaving California? gypsychic
Your question hadn't even occurred to me, gypsychic, and it deserved some thought. Here's my best answer to date:

Some people have regretted moving out of CA because while they were away the housing market continued to rise there so much that they couldn’t afford to move back. At this point, at least, and probably for some time to come, we could easily move back. When there is no risk, there is no fear of regret.

But those people wanted to move back (whether or not they could) because they liked San Diego better than the place they moved to. Some of them moved to comparatively awful places; others missed the feel of the familiar, including family; and others simply missed that good water when the well ran dry--yes--there is much about San Diego to love.

I think it's important for you to determine which area you're right for. Hendersonville isn't wrong for us; we're wrong for Hendersonville (and right for Black Mountain). And for us, all the palm trees and Spanish roofs in San Diego can’t hold a candle to the beauty of one chipmunk in Hendersonville, much less an Asheville mountain silhouetted against the sunset. If San Diego is a chocolate ice cream cone, this area is a triple banana split! We could be happy, no doubt, in many places in the USA, but nowhere happier than here.

And never happier than today!!! We had our Black Mountain friends over for more than five hours of reunion, mirth, and plans to play music together! (Pinch me.) Because of them, I’ll soon be teaching hammered dulcimer in Black Mountain! (Pinch me again.) They’ve also arranged to bring us to two social gatherings this week at the homes of some of their friends. (Wow.) They really want us to move to Black Mountain, and we hope we will! While our hearts were still dancing in the afterglow of their visit, two couples called from my original PA hometown. We talked for hours. They’re tickled that we’re so much closer to them—just seven hours’ drive now. We invited them down; they’re coming this winter. (Oh joy!) And tomorrow we should be getting our first real offer on our San Diego house. I can hardly believe the wonderful things that have happened to us in just these past two weeks!!! An “attitude of gratitude” has never been easier....

The sourwood tree outside our beautiful sunroom is all aglow, and today the white squirrel returned!! We named her Sugar. We can’t take our eyes off of her....!!!!!!!

Jan

Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Your question hadn't even occurred to me, gypsychic, and it deserved some thought. Here's my best answer to date:

Some people have regretted moving out of CA because while they were away the housing market continued to rise there so much that they couldn’t afford to move back. At this point, at least, and probably for some time to come, we could easily move back. When there is no risk, there is no fear of regret.

But those people wanted to move back (whether or not they could) because they liked San Diego better than the place they moved to. Some of them moved to comparatively awful places; others missed the feel of the familiar, including family; and others simply missed that good water when the well ran dry--yes--there is much about San Diego to love.

I think it's important for you to determine which area you're right for. Hendersonville isn't wrong for us; we're wrong for Hendersonville (and right for Black Mountain). And for us, all the palm trees and Spanish roofs in San Diego can’t hold a candle to the beauty of one chipmunk in Hendersonville, much less an Asheville mountain silhouetted against the sunset. If San Diego is a chocolate ice cream cone, this area is a triple banana split! We could be happy, no doubt, in many places in the USA, but nowhere happier than here.

And never happier than today!!! We had our Black Mountain friends over for more than five hours of reunion, mirth, and plans to play music together! (Pinch me.) Because of them, I’ll soon be teaching hammered dulcimer in Black Mountain! (Pinch me again.) They’ve also arranged to bring us to two social gatherings this week at the homes of some of their friends. (Wow.) They really want us to move to Black Mountain, and we hope we will! While our hearts were still dancing in the afterglow of their visit, two couples called from my original PA hometown. We talked for hours. They’re tickled that we’re so much closer to them—just seven hours’ drive now. We invited them down; they’re coming this winter. (Oh joy!) And tomorrow we should be getting our first real offer on our San Diego house. I can hardly believe the wonderful things that have happened to us in just these past two weeks!!! An “attitude of gratitude†has never been easier....

The sourwood tree outside our beautiful sunroom is all aglow, and today the white squirrel returned!! We named her Sugar. We can’t take our eyes off of her....!!!!!!!

Jan
Thank you, Jan, for that thoughtful reply. I love what you said about no regrets because you could move back if you wanted to. I am hoping we will be able to hold onto both places for a long time so that we can have the luxury of making that choice. While we are pretty happy in our new town in Florida, we don't want to make the mistake of letting our Asheville home go too soon, as we are convinced that it will continue to become more and more expensive to buy over time and we would be priced out.

As a Florida native, my entire life I longed for hills and mountains, woods, wildlife and four seasons (I love the cold!). Asheville (and all of WNC) has all that in spades. Here in Lakeland, we have some of that - beautiful lakes, bird sanctuaries, unique fauna and flora (I'm a garden lover), but it is a completely different vibe.

Well, we are years away from having to make a choice, but I asked because sometimes I wonder if we should be owning the two houses, we can afford it (believe me they are two small VERY modest homes) but if we sold the one in WNC we could pay off the one in Florida.

Bottom line, I guess I should heed my own advice I give to people, that "when in doubt, DON'T!" lol Thanks again, Jan, I just love that you are so happy and excited! I wish I could see your little white "Sugar!"

Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
It's amazing how much we all have in common....pinching...LOL!!!!! I also own 2 homes, I loved fl for the 23 years I lived there, great lifestyle, wonderful biz, fabulous house, etc. Truthfully, when I turned 50 and the hot flashes started...I began to hate the heat. I went to the Drs office and they discovered a high count in a blood test and he warned me to STAY OUT of the sun. I changed, Fl didn't. My XHubby is my roomie in Fl. My Mom is in a nursing home in Fl and the RE market tanked so I plan to own 2 homes for the time being. I adore the mountains! I am SOOOO glad I found this forum, it's fun sharing our experiences and enthusiasm

Old 10-22-2007, 12:03 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
It's amazing how much we all have in common....pinching...LOL!!!!! I also own 2 homes, I loved fl for the 23 years I lived there, great lifestyle, wonderful biz, fabulous house, etc. Truthfully, when I turned 50 and the hot flashes started...I began to hate the heat. I went to the Drs office and they discovered a high count in a blood test and he warned me to STAY OUT of the sun. I changed, Fl didn't. My XHubby is my roomie in Fl. My Mom is in a nursing home in Fl and the RE market tanked so I plan to own 2 homes for the time being. I adore the mountains! I am SOOOO glad I found this forum, it's fun sharing our experiences and enthusiasm
LiveLoveLaugh - I was at a dinner party Saturday and my host turned to me and said "I'm having my own little Summer right now" as she fanned herself!!
Life is such a great journey isn't it?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM

11 posts, read 36,784 times
We checked out St Andrews. And yes it is a terrible one-way road. For the most part of the road it looks like a wagon rd. The next closest is St Eugene, behind Ingles on Merriman rd in N Asheville btw exits 24 and 25 on I-26.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina