Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 04:36 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,416,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
This is nothing like 2012 for us. So far it's averaging colder than last January.
lol for sure this is nothing like 2012. in the end the ssw event would translate to the pv infiltrating north America towards the end of February so it wont be as bad as last year as it will be in a time with a higher sun so at worst case scenario I think, we end up in the lower teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You should be worried. Bret Anderson of Accu-W, not a cold lover, has been mentioning over and over that Feb could be really bad due to the SSW. Despite George from Chicago going on and on about Europe getting cold in Feb, the fact remains that every time, and I mean every time, there is a SSW event, eastern NA has brutal cold for weeks after. This is based on history, and is mentioned over and over on weather blogs.

The breakdown of the vortex means that it ALWAYS comes down on North America. Don't be surprised with low teens on the Gulf Coast, and single digits where you are.
Well from my understanding 2012 was a year that did not happen. Europe got the cold not us. Also from my understanding the brunt of the cold will be in Eurasia with some over here so it wouldn't be 2015. But who knows, in the end the pv might not even come here or all of it will, who knows.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:44 AM

29,555 posts, read 19,666,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You should be worried. Bret Anderson of Accu-W, not a cold lover, has been mentioning over and over that Feb could be really bad due to the SSW. Despite George from Chicago going on and on about Europe getting cold in Feb, the fact remains that every time, and I mean every time, there is a SSW event, eastern NA has brutal cold for weeks after. This is based on history, and is mentioned over and over on weather blogs.

The breakdown of the vortex means that it ALWAYS comes down on North America. Don't be surprised with low teens on the Gulf Coast, and single digits where you are.

El Nino may protect North America from sustained cold in February this time around

and the Euro is showing the same thing

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/statu...58281600405505

https://twitter.com/WinterExpert/sta...59482048299010

Old 01-25-2016, 05:08 AM

83,563 posts, read 75,484,590 times
Friday storm Update:

Its a coastal storm but they are not merging with the Northern Jet Stream which has the clipper.
They are staying separate. Timing. Timing. Timing. It's just off this time and that's why it's not a big storm.

Doesn't mean it cant come closer and give us snow but as I always say, timing is a big part of weather and storms.

Here are the latest 4 models.

GFS- Only light snow showers to Eastern MA

Euro- definitely closer with the storm and brings a couple inches up & down I-95 from North Carolina to Eastern MA. Missing nei again.

Canadian- Disorganized and faster. Has the storm off the coast Thursday.

NAM - Long range and not all there yet but looks like its slower.

Not a big storm or big deal, but again, a 100 mile shift West and we're in for half foot. Plenty of cold around

Old 01-25-2016, 06:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,842,685 times
The storm 'Jonas' which dumped feets of snow in the US East Coast will arrive in Europe later this week. However, the nature of the storm changes dramatically: it will bring heavy rain and milder temps across most of Europe.

Rain mostly, snowy precipitation is striped:

Afternoon temps. Subfreezing conditions have almost disappeared:

Old 01-25-2016, 07:38 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,852,724 times
Thick coating of frost this morning. This will probably be the last time I see this for a while. My 10 day forecast has no more freezing lows and Groundhog Day could approach 75 F.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:43 AM

29,555 posts, read 19,666,897 times
https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/s...30110290522116

Old 01-25-2016, 07:58 AM

83,563 posts, read 75,484,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The storm 'Jonas' which dumped feets of snow in the US East Coast will arrive in Europe later this week. However, the nature of the storm changes dramatically: it will bring heavy rain and milder temps across most of Europe.:
Fascinating. So the energy came from eastern Asia, storm developed southern U.S, up the Eastern U.S, now heading to Europe...then where? Maybe will come back around to the U.S in couple weeks. Maybe the LRC is actually onto something. (Recurving cycle)

Old 01-25-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Thick coating of frost this morning. This will probably be the last time I see this for a while. My 10 day forecast has no more freezing lows and Groundhog Day could approach 75 F.
Yeah first week of February is trending warmer and warmer.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:00 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,842,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Fascinating. So the energy came from eastern Asia, storm developed southern U.S, up the Eastern U.S, now heading to Europe...then where? Maybe will come back around to the U.S in couple weeks. Maybe the LRC is actually onto something. (Recurving cycle)
It has already weakened, and when it does landfall you can hardly call it a storm anymore, but only a low pressures system. Gale, yes, but not a storm.

It will move over Russia and probably disintegrate there.

Not anything like this in any case

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather