Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 08:49 AM

29,580 posts, read 19,687,463 times

Advertisements

Looking better and better for me

https://twitter.com/Met_mdclark/stat...24347553992704
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:20 AM

83,588 posts, read 75,560,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^

Don't worry colder weather ahead!
Past couple runs of the GFS has nothing to write home about. In fact got warmer. Ridiculous but you know what, anything is better than what we had!! So I'll take seasonable at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
How bad would it be?? Would it be all time record lows broken as in single digits all the way down to North Florida and gulf coast kind of cold that hasn't been seen since 1985 or just like 2014 and 2015.
Sorry for delay, are you asking me for a hypothetical scenario if the Vortex dropped south? I think we can use February 2015 as an example. Yes, near record lows and highs for Eastern U.S depending on senarios and positioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
My understanding is that in Jan of 1985 it was sitting right over Montreal.

Yup.

January 21, 1985. Vortex was in southern Quebec! 480DAM Heights over Maine. 850mb freezing line only to northern Florida but the 5C line to Central Florida and clear skies.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:38 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,420,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Past couple runs of the GFS has nothing to write home about. In fact got warmer. Ridiculous but you know what, anything is better than what we had!! So I'll take seasonable at this point.

Sorry for delay, are you asking me for a hypothetical scenario if the Vortex dropped south? I think we can use February 2015 as an example. Yes, near record lows and highs for Eastern U.S depending on senarios and positioning.

Yup.

January 21, 1985. Vortex was in southern Quebec! 480DAM Heights over Maine. 850mb freezing line only to northern Florida but the 5C line to Central Florida and clear skies.

Np and yeah I am asking what would happen if the pv split and went south to quebec. That sounds pretty scary to me. Only reason I hate cold that extreme is because of the damage it does to the flora growing here. It would suck to see it all be killed. Past 20 years have been Fairly stable here in NC when compared to decades such as the 80s. Would hate to see a return to that cold.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:40 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,854,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
One just never knows in the eastern US. Any single winter can have that kind of cold. Such is life in the most volatile winter climate on the planet.
As far as this winter is concerned, we still need the west Atlantic ridge to completely buckle if there is any chance at a continuous string of below average weather down here. Even under a zonal flow, the subtropical jet is always heading ENE instead of due E in the outlooks, meaning warmer weather for similar latitudes the farther east you go. I hate it!

Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,472,271 times
Quote:
Np and yeah I am asking what would happen if the pv split and went south to quebec. That sounds pretty scary to me. Only reason I hate cold that extreme is because of the damage it does to the flora growing here. It would suck to see it all be killed. Past 20 years have been Fairly stable here in NC when compared to decades such as the 80s. Would hate to see a return to that cold.
What kind of flora?

Old 12-30-2015, 11:55 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,009,474 times
Eastern Europe is receiving very Cold Northeasterly air lasts days.

Northern Turkey is Being Dumped with Black Sea Effect Snow:

Even Sochi have Snow And Cold in Forecast:

Old 12-30-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
What kind of flora?
My fig tree for one lol. Also a lot more people have been experimenting with palms here. My neighbor has about 4 medium sized sabal palms. Last February killed 2 of them. Also the dmv near my house had 3 sabal palms all were killed last february. Also windmill palms here have survived many winters a sub zero temp would kill all. Pullen park in raleigh has planted at least 30 palms many of the large ones are windmills and also many needles and sabal minors. The windmills there are huge and beautiful i have some pics from the other day if you would like to see. Plus there are a lot of magnolias and I doubt they are all that cold hardy to sub zero temps. Plus long leaf pines tolerate temps down to -8 and lob lollies can survive up to -10. A major drop in the pv that is only slightly colder than 1985 would probably kill a good chunk of our pine forests at least the younger pines.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:03 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,854,525 times
Quote:
My fig tree for one lol. Also a lot more people have been experimenting with palms here. My neighbor has about 4 medium sized sabal palms. Last February killed 2 of them. Also the dmv near my house had 3 sabal palms all were killed last february. Also windmill palms here have survived many winters a sub zero temp would kill all. Pullen park in raleigh has planted at least 30 palms many of the large ones are windmills and also many needles and sabal minors. The windmills there are huge and beautiful i have some pics from the other day if you would like to see. Plus there are a lot of magnolias and I doubt they are all that cold hardy to sub zero temps. Plus long leaf pines tolerate temps down to -8 and lob lollies can survive up to -10. A major drop in the pv that is only slightly colder than 1985 would probably kill a good chunk of our pine forests at least the younger pines.
Sabal minors I've heard can survive down to 0 F. There is an isolated population of them as far northwest as McCurtain County, Oklahoma.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Sabal minors I've heard can survive down to 0 F. There is an isolated population of them as far northwest as McCurtain County, Oklahoma.
Yeah and needles down to -10. windmills that are mature can handle about 0 degrees young ones can get killed by single digit temps. Sabal palms down to about 7 but I believe that they can survive a bit colder temps. Pindo palms, CIDP, and true date palms can survive 15 at coldest.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:15 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,472,271 times
Quote:
Even the native vegetation could be killed?

Quote:
Sabal palms down to about 7 but I believe that they can survive a bit colder temps.
Raleigh's minimum temperature in February was 7 so you must be in a cold spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather