Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 04:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,600,834 times

Advertisements

Hmm. Any idea if this snowstorm made it to 5 on the NESIS scale? Oh, it's called RSI now:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-i...cietal-impacts

Even if only New York City got 20", it would still rank highly. The amount of people who had more than 20" must be really high. '96 storm was 28.9 million.

Last edited by nei; 01-24-2016 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 04:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I don't have that good feeling about it yet. Remember when I had that slight north shift feeling with the Blizzard while all Meteos, NWS and models (except NAM) said no? I went from a 3-5" to 10-15" storm. I knew it was coming up. Joe Cioffi and Bernie Rayno never gave up on the NAM either. I felt like the Upper Low would not allow that push East and instead it would push it north.
Nope, don't remember. Good reread that. Anyhow, for the current storm, I'll follow it more carefully. Here's what NWS Boston has to say,

LOW CONFIDENCE ON THIS FORECAST BECAUSE OF THE SPREAD IN GUIDANCE.
WATCHING THE POTENTIAL FOR AN OCEAN STORM TO DEVELOP OFF THE
CAROLINA COAST AND MOVE UP TOWARDS SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. HOW THE
GUIDANCE HANDLES THIS SYSTEM AS WELL AS THE NORTHERN CLIPPER MOVING
IN FROM THE GREAT LAKES WILL TAKE A FEW DAYS TO RESOLVE. RIGHT NOW
THE MAJORITY OF THE MODELS TEND TO FAVOR AN OFFSHORE SYSTEM WITH ITS
NORTHERN EDGES IMPACTING THE CAPE AND ISLANDS. THIS WILL ALSO FRO
THE CLIPPER SYSTEM TO BRING SOME PRECIP TO THE REGION. RIGHT NOW
APPEARS THAT THE 12Z EC IS THE OUTLIER WHICH DEVELOPS A COASTAL LOW
IMPACTING SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. WE WILL CONTINUE TO WATCH THIS
SYSTEM CLOSELY OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:23 PM

Neat sunset photo taken at a Metro North station in Westchester today

https://www.instagram.com/p/BA7-gnhGRTZ/

Old 01-24-2016, 06:19 PM

83,589 posts, read 75,571,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Nope, don't remember. Good reread that. Anyhow, for the current storm, I'll follow it more carefully. Here's what NWS Boston has to say,.
Here's Upton. Timing & strength of the High will matter. They do note another chance of snow. Thats one thing for sure. Would be snow that falls.

Whats with the weak Canadian highs lately? 2 more coming

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
641 PM EST SUN JAN 24 2016

HIGH PRESSURE WILL BE BUILDING IN FROM THE WEST GOING INTO THURSDAY
BUT IT WILL BE BRIEF AS ITS MAGNITUDE IS CONVEYED BY MODELS TO BE
WEAK. IT QUICKLY RETREATS INTO THE CANADIAN MARITIMES BY FRIDAY WITH
ANOTHER AREA OF LOW PRESSURE MOVING SOUTHEAST OF LONG ISLAND. MODELS
DIVERGE WITH THE SOLUTION HERE BUT THERE WILL BE ANOTHER CHANCE OF
SNOW HEADING LATE INTO THE WEEK. TOO MUCH UNCERTAINTY FOR ANY
SPECIFICS YET ON AMOUNTS AND TIMING OF ANY PRECIPITATION. WEAK HIGH
PRESSURE FOLLOWS FOR THE START OF NEXT WEEKEND WITH ANOTHER FRONTAL
SYSTEM APPROACHING FOR LATE NEXT WEEKEND

Old 01-24-2016, 06:43 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,420,794 times
I'm worried about the end of February into the first half of march because of this SSW -ao/nao and weakening el nino talk. If we get a February 2015 repeat....lord forbid. Then again that's still a month away. I read same talk happened in 2012 and in the end the pv went to Europe and froze them and we were mild. oh well I guess just a year in weather.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:43 PM

Yea, I care much more about March than February. February is cold no matter what, anyway, an early start to spring would be nice.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:59 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,696,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, I care much more about March than February. February is cold no matter what, anyway, an early start to spring would be nice.
Northern New England has seen hardly any snow so far, many ski areas definitely would like to see heavy snow for the next month or two as I see the Twitter updates often on the snowmaking there. My parents in central NH only have a few inches of snow on the ground presently, last year was just a huge snow year there.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:36 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,473,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I'm worried about the end of February into the first half of march because of this SSW -ao/nao and weakening el nino talk. If we get a February 2015 repeat....lord forbid. Then again that's still a month away. I read same talk happened in 2012 and in the end the pv went to Europe and froze them and we were mild. oh well I guess just a year in weather.
This is nothing like 2012 for us. So far it's averaging colder than last January.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:49 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,960,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post

You should be worried. Bret Anderson of Accu-W, not a cold lover, has been mentioning over and over that Feb could be really bad due to the SSW. Despite George from Chicago going on and on about Europe getting cold in Feb, the fact remains that every time, and I mean every time, there is a SSW event, eastern NA has brutal cold for weeks after. This is based on history, and is mentioned over and over on weather blogs.

The breakdown of the vortex means that it ALWAYS comes down on North America. Don't be surprised with low teens on the Gulf Coast, and single digits where you are.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:30 AM

29,580 posts, read 19,691,638 times

Jet stream shifts/splits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather