Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 07:10 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,455,397 times

Advertisements

^ Does that above normal snowfall area really just miss my area?! Or is it cut off because it would extend beyond that map?

Seriously, though, either way, that looks pretty good. It can't be that precise anyway. Good chance such a thing would affect us favorably as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:34 AM

269 posts, read 238,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Without checking the temps or if clouds lingered around next day I'm checking the snow depth reports.

Macon, Georgia has 12" morning of 10th.
12" morning of 11th.
4" morning of 12th.
3" morning of 13th.
Gone on the 14th

Columbia, SC had snow on ground for 7 days until all gone. 5 days not including patches or thin spots.
Snowcover.. 2/10/73: 9"
14"
8"
6"
3"
T"
T"
0 Gone on the 14th.

SAV Savannah,GA only had a Trace the next morning on Feb 12th

Atlanta got a Trace with that storm which if I had just checked their data I would of never known there was a huge snowstorm down there that month.
7" recorded around here in Feb 1973, the most on record. My grandmother measured 8" at her house!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:10 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,474,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather Guy View Post
7" recorded around here in Feb 1973, the most on record. My grandmother measured 8" at her house!
What part of Alabama do you live in?

Old 08-18-2015, 12:37 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,231,075 times
Just got a Sneak Peak at what the Red Farmers almanac is Predicting for the winter for Indiana, and I don't know whether to believe it yet but its saying a Frigid and Snow Filled winter for people in the Great Lakes and Midwest, I also hear that the Old Farmers Almanac is also likewise predicting another cold winter for Indiana, either way I know this winter will NOT be a Carbon Copy of Last Year or the year before. I am not gonna hold my breath with those predictions for this winter but I am planning on the worst and hoping for the best. And I thought that El Nino would mean that we could get a break this winter I guess that is not necessarily always the case............

Old 08-18-2015, 12:50 PM

2,537 posts, read 1,877,420 times
I'm hoping for strong cold fronts, a deep jet stream and multiple nights of freezing temperatures. Last December was pretty nice. It'd be in the 40s in the morning but get into the 70s during the day and cool off significantly when the sun set. It was also sunny with very low humidity and low dew points.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 PM

269 posts, read 238,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
What part of Alabama do you live in?
Southeast. Not far from Dothan.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 PM

26,445 posts, read 46,702,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Just got a Sneak Peak at what the Red Farmers almanac is Predicting for the winter for Indiana, and I don't know whether to believe it yet but its saying a Frigid and Snow Filled winter for people in the Great Lakes and Midwest, I also hear that the Old Farmers Almanac is also likewise predicting another cold winter for Indiana, either way I know this winter will NOT be a Carbon Copy of Last Year or the year before. I am not gonna hold my breath with those predictions for this winter but I am planning on the worst and hoping for the best. And I thought that El Nino would mean that we could get a break this winter I guess that is not necessarily always the case............
LOL, you think winter is cold in Indiana? I lived in Wisconsin and New Hampshire for awhile, but they actually know how to plow the snow quickly and efficiently there unlike many areas of Indiana. Yes, I'm hoping for a bit more snow this winter (here in southern Indiana) as I do not prefer continual 30s for highs with pitch grey skies with little snow. However, I do like the additional moisture during the winter as I really dislike it when it gets too dry.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:32 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,252,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
From a Meteo in North Carolina. Impossible to post entire write up. Very lengthy and detailed. Maybe one of you catches something else interesting or important and posts it for us.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/wxsou...11862635510457

Interesting read. Hopefully winter will be stormy, even if it comes in the form of rain. 2009-2010 had some good rain events IIRC, but decent snow as well.

Quote:
So right now, all we have is potential for a Wet and Wild Winter. Will the cold come down often and mix with the extra moisture? Like in 82, 83, 87, 92, 93, 02, 03, 09, 10 Winters ?? Or will this be a warm Winter for much of the US like the 98 Nino? Each one is different. But I lean strongly right now for some areas to have an extremely active Winter with close calls, lots of cold rain, and some locations getting hit with snow ,after snow , after snow. One of my main forecast methods is the ocean layouts--warm waters, cold continents. It usually works. But that cold can be just like last year if there is a strongly positive AO, rather than a few negative NAO patterns. Meaning, we have the cold, we have the moisture, but hard to time the two. How often did we see heavy rains last Winter in the South and East (south of NYC) to see it rain, then turn cold.....with a the main longwave trough axis remaining just west of the Apps. Usually a Nino Winter will have an axis just east of the Apps. But at this stage, its too early to guess. For reasons above though, I've outlined that white rectangle region as one of the regions that might get hit time and again with precip + cold, simultaneously.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,390,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
LOL, you think winter is cold in Indiana? I lived in Wisconsin and New Hampshire for awhile, but they actually know how to plow the snow quickly and efficiently there unlike many areas of Indiana. Yes, I'm hoping for a bit more snow this winter (here in southern Indiana) as I do not prefer continual 30s for highs with pitch grey skies with little snow. However, I do like the additional moisture during the winter as I really dislike it when it gets too dry.
Northern Indiana by Lake Michigan gets more snow than Madison, WI. I believe South Bend averages about 80 inches of snow or so. I wouldn't say anywhere is particularly "warm" in winter, maybe compared to Wisconsin. Indianapolis is colder than say, Evansville though.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:05 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,231,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Northern Indiana by Lake Michigan gets more snow than Madison, WI. I believe South Bend averages about 80 inches of snow or so. I wouldn't say anywhere is particularly "warm" in winter, maybe compared to Wisconsin. Indianapolis is colder than say, Evansville though.

Thank You Alex985, and it if you saw earlier post on this forum you would perhaps be wondering if the prospects for snow in August in the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming and Colorado means whether the Eastern Half of the Lower 48 may be in for another long hard winter, and based on one of the winter predictions from the Farmers Almanac, IT WILL BE another Hard Winter for much of the Eastern Half or Eastern Two Thirds of the U.S....For the Third Year in a RowI guess the reasoning behind their predictions of another doozy of a winter has to do with that Damn Blob of Warm Water Over the Northeast Pacific Ocean, that has refused to budge since the winter of 2013-2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather