Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 10:19 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
Just head down to Macon, GA. They got 16" that year in their snowiest winter on record.
That's pretty remarkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:44 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
That's pretty remarkable.
And the weird thing is that Atlanta got almost nothing. I know someone who was living near Macon when that colossal snowstorm hit - he said it was pretty epic..lol.

We just need one of those to hit Atlanta this winter.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:33 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
Just head down to Macon, GA. They got 16" that year in their snowiest winter on record.
http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/c...0211-12.52.jpg

Weird how every part of Georgia except the mountains got snow from that storm. Places as far south as New Orleans, Tallahassee, and Jacksonville picked up accumulations.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:08 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/c...0211-12.52.jpg

Weird how every part of Georgia except the mountains got snow from that storm. Places as far south as New Orleans, Tallahassee, and Jacksonville picked up accumulations.
Overview and explaination of the storm with maps and snowfall reports from some locations.

Flow was from Siberia with a Polar Vortex digging a trough in Northeast with active sub jet. Arctic front down south, 850mb 0C line down to Florida, low forms in gulf, mid level low forms over Florida, and temps crash at surface, blizzard conditions for coastal Carolinas.

Good info and details here

Feb 9-11 1973 SC Superstorm Study

Old 08-17-2015, 02:19 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,512 times
Temperature dropped to 2°C in some parts last night and there's a possibility of frosts in the near future. Meanwhile highs are getting near 25°C. What a strange August.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:27 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Overview and explaination of the storm with maps and snowfall reports from some locations.

Flow was from Siberia with a Polar Vortex digging a trough in Northeast with active sub jet. Arctic front down south, 850mb 0C line down to Florida, low forms in gulf, mid level low forms over Florida, and temps crash at surface, blizzard conditions for coastal Carolinas.

Good info and details here

Feb 9-11 1973 SC Superstorm Study
Of course my town was left out. They just suck when it comes to recording precip (which is why I often have to mix Savannah totals with my crappy unofficial station for rainfall amounts).

Though by looking at that map, it looks like roughly 5-6" fell in my neck of the woods during that storm, far lower than the 12"+ nightmare across central Georgia. Wonder how long it took for all that to melt. Probably not long given our stronger sun angle.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Of course my town was left out. They just suck when it comes to recording precip (which is why I often have to mix Savannah totals with my crappy unofficial station for rainfall amounts).

Though by looking at that map, it looks like roughly 5-6" fell in my neck of the woods during that storm, far lower than the 12"+ nightmare across central Georgia. Wonder how long it took for all that to melt. Probably not long given our stronger sun angle.
Without checking the temps or if clouds lingered around next day I'm checking the snow depth reports.

Macon, Georgia has 12" morning of 10th.
12" morning of 11th.
4" morning of 12th.
3" morning of 13th.
Gone on the 14th

Columbia, SC had snow on ground for 7 days until all gone. 5 days not including patches or thin spots.
Snowcover.. 2/10/73: 9"
14"
8"
6"
3"
T"
T"
0 Gone on the 14th.

SAV Savannah,GA only had a Trace the next morning on Feb 12th

Atlanta got a Trace with that storm which if I had just checked their data I would of never known there was a huge snowstorm down there that month.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:50 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,354,882 times
Alexandria, LA got 4 inches of snow from a separate event in 1973 (Jan 10-12) but no accumulating snow that February.

The heaviest snow event recorded here was 9.1 inches on Feb 12-13, 1960. This was during a neutral winter.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:36 PM

Typo before but obvious. lol Columbia, SC snowpack was around for almost a week, snow was finally gone on the 17th, not 14th..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
Alexandria, LA got 4 inches of snow from a separate event in 1973 (Jan 10-12) but no accumulating snow that February.

The heaviest snow event recorded here was 9.1 inches on Feb 12-13, 1960. This was during a neutral winter.
Interesting. Check out the NAO value those days. Major Blocking! Arctic air must of came straight down and hung around? I'll wild guess for many days with that kind of blocking? Havent checked any maps.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:03 AM

From a Meteo in North Carolina. Impossible to post entire write up. Very lengthy and detailed. Maybe one of you catches something else interesting or important and posts it for us.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/wxsou...11862635510457

Quote:
This isn't a forecast yet, but looking over the data I have been viewing a few months now, and how the drought and heat has worked out, and where the rain, snow haves/Have Nots has been located--this is looking like a classic drought busting El Nino on the Way. Both for the West Coast and for the Southeast.

The Warm Waters representing Nino are near 97/98 levels, but the difference will be how the Pacific looks in it's anomalies. The last 2 Winters, a warm north Pacific has produced strong west Coast Ridging and a cold Canada and interior United States--opening the door for cold air to press down big time, many times. Usually though, in a Nino Winter, that is hard to do.
Quote:
My early inclination at this point , based on the drought, how it has been, how the ridge has shifted between Texas to Carolinas and the anomalous northwest flow pattern and lack of Bermuda ridging, combined with a ton of other factors I can't list here, are leading me to think that possibly a very stormy Winter is upcoming. When the switch in the pattern occurs is usually around November or December. That's when the overrunning cool rains usually materialize in the Southeast, with damming east winds and far south tracking low pressure systems.

One of the couple of most similar analogs so far (again broadly speaking from a flow and SST standpoint) is the 86/87 and 02/03, and maybe 09/10 Winters, when the Nino came on suddenly ending a hot and dry-ish pattern. And the Appalachians and immediate east and west sides of the chain saw well above snows and ice events.

So based on the number of Gulf systems this Winter, not even counting the chances for Greenland Blocking, I think an active storm track from the Texas Gulf Coast, up the Eastern Seaboard is in the offing. Now if blocking in Greenland were to truly develop, then I think an Historic Winter would erupt down south. We are in a weird state of affairs as far as the PDO , the blocking signals and the forecast strength of the PDO and the Nino this time. A weird alignment where anything is possible but in the worst forecast, it would actually forecast extreme cold + extreme precip.....which would equate to an 1800's time line in Winter in the South---something we've never seen down south in our lifetimes. I"m not going to say we're headed there, obviously. But the indices are quite unusual right now (again though things can change by December).

One of the spots I'm highlighting so far is the uplands of the Southeast and interior MidAtlantic.

Roughly, this region:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather