Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 01:53 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Also... a good reminder to self... I gave up on winter in December last year. We had a Top 10 warm December here with rain all the time and 60s on Christmas. Storms were cutting to the Great Lakes.. I waved the white flag... Then BOOM, bottom drops and we had a Jan, Feb, Mar winter. lol So pattern can change abruptly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:57 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,374,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Also... a good reminder to self... I gave up on winter in December last year. We had a Top 10 warm December here with rain all the time and 60s on Christmas. Storms were cutting to the Great Lakes.. I waved the white flag... Then BOOM, bottom drops and we had a Jan, Feb, Mar winter. lol So pattern can change abruptly.
I'd prefer a cold December for this year. God, I hope it's not like 65 degrees when I go to Washington in December, I'll be so damn pissed.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:41 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times
Down here, I don't care what kind of winter we get, honestly. The key factor for me is *not hot." If it's *not hot*, that goes a long ways to making me a happy camper. If it's wet, even better - I love rainy days, any time of the year. I especially love those all-day rains, whether it be cold or mild.

Cold winters are great of course, but the frustration factor comes in when it's not quite cold enough to snow, or it's frigid for a few days, but dry, and when the moisture does come in, it's warm. Sometimes it's just better to have an endless stretch of days in 50's and 60's, so I can get out and enjoy the outdoors like it's meant to be. The air is still cool and refreshing, the nights are long and still chilly, and the bare trees allow me to see the ever-changing patterns of the sky. Again, the key factor is not having to deal with it being hot.

Wintertime rocks, period. I can't wait.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:42 PM

29,549 posts, read 19,640,423 times
90F at MDW, but dew points have nosedived down to the 50s

Old 07-29-2015, 03:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Down here, I don't care what kind of winter we get, honestly. The key factor for me is *not hot." If it's *not hot*, that goes a long ways to making me a happy camper. If it's wet, even better - I love rainy days, any time of the year. I especially love those all-day rains, whether it be cold or mild.

Cold winters are great of course, but the frustration factor comes in when it's not quite cold enough to snow, or it's frigid for a few days, but dry, and when the moisture does come in, it's warm. Sometimes it's just better to have an endless stretch of days in 50's and 60's, so I can get out and enjoy the outdoors like it's meant to be. The air is still cool and refreshing, the nights are long and still chilly, and the bare trees allow me to see the ever-changing patterns of the sky. Again, the key factor is not having to deal with it being hot.

Wintertime rocks, period. I can't wait.

Lol, when has Atlanta ever had a "hot" winter. Avg high there in Jan is like 52F. That is March here. Even a "hot" March around here is never really what I would call "hot". More like cool to warm.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Lol.

https://www.facebook.com/WxRisk/phot...type=1&theater

Quote:
*** ALERT ***FIRST WINTER FORECAST IS OUT !!!! ***

Ok not really... FOLKS...I wanted to bring this to your attention because as we move towards September we are going to see a lot of this sort of bull**** over the next several months. This is the third time in the past 30 days that someone has posted THIS particular map ---which means that this map keeps getting re-posted on social media and few inf any are using any critical thinking skills to figure out if this is legitimate or not

Let's start with the basics. FIRST No one who has any serious forecasting skill/ background has issued any winter forecast like this . SECOND if you do a gloogle search you will quickly see that this map was from LAST winter!!! . THIRD this winter snowfall forecast map is a FAKE. The map comes from some teenage weather weenie who wants to pretend he is the next JIm Cantioe or Joe Bastardi Notice that on this particular map the heaviest snow is over the big cities the northeast which amazingly enough.... is where the teenage kid who made this map lives (Funny how that worked out )

Now I am sure somebody is going to come back and say to me ...." hey DT what are getting so worked up over it's just some kid winter forecast...."

The fact of the matter is that this country suffers from serious lack of science education and critical thinking skills. Forecasts like this that are issued on the the social media and Internet end up contaminating a lot of people's perspective about the winter forecast. This ends up hurting the science of meteorology to a significant degree because most people do NOT make a distinction between a professional meteorologist's winter seasonal forecast and some 15 year old kid living at home playing Jim Cantore and who wants to to get a lot of attention

A complicating factor is that do are all sorts of social media sites some of which are news and entertainment which will post stuff like this just to draw comments and ' CLICKS" . Indeed I actually call the radio station where this map has been recently posted and they appear to be well aware that it is not a serious winter forecast.

Now that's all fine and good for them since they are in the entertainment and news business and they want lots of clicks on stupid stories which are not true (CLICK BAIT). But WxRisk doesnt " do" the whole clickBait stuff because it's anti science and anti thinking and quite frankly we have enough of the crap in this country as it is. Yes Accuweather and The Weather Channel so this sort of fake news / CLICKBAIT crap which you can find all over their various websites and face book pages (Believe me with Wxrisn at 128,000 Likes I could easily "do" CLICK BAIT and bring a whole new stream of cash ) .

The point here is to remind you that not only are many things in social media and on the Internet not true and accurate ....but they are often posted to bring about dis-information as opposed to actual facts science and information.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,374,279 times
Below normal snowfall for FL? Is it possible to get negative snowfall?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:22 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Exactly. I remember that quite well. I'd rather have a cold & snowy December this time around though.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:23 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times
Jokes aside, I really, really wish we get a super volcanic eruption sometime in my lifetime, so we all can experience a true, hard-core winter. Blizzards from coast to coast, lasting from November to April. And a frigid summer to follow. Even Florida gets to enjoy highs in the 70's in July.

One whole year of it not getting hot whatsoever, nationwide. Sure would be nice, huh?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Jokes aside, I really, really wish we get a super volcanic eruption sometime in my lifetime, so we all can experience a true, hard-core winter. Blizzards from coast to coast, lasting from November to April. And a frigid summer to follow. Even Florida gets to enjoy highs in the 70's in July.

One whole year of it not getting hot whatsoever, nationwide. Sure would be nice, huh?
Not really. I mean, weather-wise, sure. But that would be a pretty big disaster event. Better just to move to your ideal climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather