Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 10:57 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,964,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I feel like we're always in a "wintry battle zone" lol. But I'll take it over any extreme/long duration cold.

Yeah, just about every winter forecast has our region as the "battle zone". Joke forecast with such generalities. I like "temps and precip will vary". Lol, that covers everything. They just don't know, and I wish they would give up with these long range forecasts and let the weather happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:55 AM

83,596 posts, read 75,608,496 times
JB changes and goes with a typical El Nino pattern

https://twitter.com/HenryMargusity/s...83011261751296

Old 09-04-2015, 07:44 AM

26,448 posts, read 46,714,863 times
^
Looks like the Northern Plains to Northwest blowtorch, typical El Nino scenario where a split flow pattern is more common, leading to fewer intense arctic air intrusions.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
^
Looks like the Northern Plains to Northwest blowtorch, typical El Nino scenario where a split flow pattern is more common, leading to fewer intense arctic air intrusions.
Yup.. one can hope for good timing with a cold intrusion and a storm.. I love how most folks out there fail to let people know that snow still does fall. below normal in Syracuse means over 100" still. lol Below normal in Hartford can mean 3 feet of snow! That a blizzard and a bunch of snowstorms!
I personally think this may not be a snowpack duration year especially if the arctic air is hard to come by. Snow wont last long on the ground and of course I know what that means here. Ugh. lol

Old 09-04-2015, 09:33 AM

The Weather Network in Canada came out with a forecast. Video with link.. They are thinking a back loaded winter as well Cold 2nd half.

Man I am loving that above normal moisture map. Get me some cold and good timing please!

News - Winter Preview: See when cold and snow arrive for you - The Weather Network

Most of central and eastern Canada will see a period of wintry weather before we get to December, according to this 2015 Fall Weather Forecast. But that will be a false start to winter as a mild weather pattern will dominate almost the whole country during the month. The map above for December looks a lot like the classic El Niño pattern that dominated the strong El Niño winters of 1997-98 and 1982-83. We do not, however, expect that this pattern will persist all winter.

Quote:

Nearly all El Niño winters in the past have featured an active storm track across the southern United States, with a turn up the East Coast to the Maritimes. It looks like that pattern will dominate our winter this year. Therefore, we expect above-average precipitation for the Maritimes. However, below-average precipitation is expected from British Columbia to the Great Lakes.

Coastal areas of British Columbia will likely see a below-average number of rainy days, but the final precipitation totals should approach normal due to a few periods of rather wet weather in which storm systems will tap into subtropical moisture. These periods of active weather, however, will typically be associated with very mild temperatures and bring predominately rain rather than snow to many ski areas.

The long-range models and El Niño winters of the past show a consistent pattern year after year with above-average precipitation just south and east of the Great Lakes in close proximity to below normal-precipitation across much of the Great Lakes. The exact location of the dividing line between the two does vary from year to year (with significant implications for the Highway 401 corridor, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa), so we will continue to fine-tune our complete Winter Forecast to be released in late fall as confidence in the dominant storm track increases.

After a few lake-effect events during the fall, there will be rather limited amounts of lake effect snow during December. When colder weather does return for the end of winter, however, the lakes should still be mostly wide open and able to contribute to some significant mid to late season lake-effect snow events.

El Niño, shown in the oval in the centre of the map above, has a reputation for bringing mild winters to Southern Canada, and the strongest two El Niño events on record prior to this year (1982-83 and 1997-98) were quite mild from British Columbia to Newfoundland. However, a review of other El Niño winters shows that El Niño does not guarantee a mild winter across the country.

When the warmest water relative to normal (the darkest shades of red) is found close to the coast of South America, we usually see mild winters across Canada like we experienced in 1982-83 and 1997-98. When the warmest water is found in the Central Pacific rather than closer to South America, however, the winters over the eastern half of Canada typically turn significantly colder compared to what we expect with a classic El Niño. If the warmest water continues to shift west towards the central Pacific, the threat for a more extended period of classic winter across Eastern Canada will likely increase.

As we progress through the fall we will track changes in the ocean-water temperature pattern, but there are signs that warmest water will be found closer to the Central Pacific and not just off the coast of South America.

Another key to upcoming winter is whether El Niño peaks later this fall and then starts to weaken as we progress through the winter or whether it continues to strengthen during the winter. A strengthening El Niño rather than a weakening El Niño during the heart of winter would likely mean a milder winter for Eastern Canada.

Forecast factor: The blob
A unique feature of the upcoming winter compared to other strong El Niño winters of the past is the persistence of the warmer-than-normal ocean-water temperatures off the West Coast of Canada, shown in the top circle in the map above.

This feature has become known as “the Blob” and has been a key contributor to the dominant weather pattern across North America for the past two years, which has featured extended periods of warm and dry weather in the West and two of the coldest winters in recent memory farther to the east. If “the Blob” persists into the winter, the threat for a cold conclusion to winter east of the Prairies will increase.

Are seasonal forecasts accurate?

A common audience comment to every seasonal forecast article questions the accuracy of our daily predictions, and concludes that we can’t possibly produce an accurate seasonal forecast.

While this feedback is understandable, it is important to keep in mind that seasonal forecasts are fundamentally different from daily forecasts. Our seasonal forecasts provide an overview of the pattern for the upcoming season (such as a mild winter vs. cold winter). We do not attempt to tell you if it will rain or snow at your house on a specific date.

Our forecasts for the past six seasons have been very effective in describing the dominant weather patterns for the upcoming season. This type of forecast is often easier to accurately do than to tell you what you really want to know: whether the scattered afternoon showers will directly affect you this weekend.

Forecast factor: Strong El Niño with a twist
El Niño, shown in the oval in the centre of the map above, has a reputation for bringing mild winters to Southern Canada, and the strongest two El Niño events on record prior to this year (1982-83 and 1997-98) were quite mild from British Columbia to Newfoundland. However, a review of other El Niño winters shows that El Niño does not guarantee a mild winter across the country.
When the warmest water relative to normal (the darkest shades of red) is found close to the coast of South America, we usually see mild winters across Canada like we experienced in 1982-83 and 1997-98. When the warmest water is found in the Central Pacific rather than closer to South America, however, the winters over the eastern half of Canada typically turn significantly colder compared to what we expect with a classic El Niño. If the warmest water continues to shift west towards the central Pacific, the threat for a more extended period of classic winter across Eastern Canada will likely increase.

As we progress through the fall we will track changes in the ocean-water temperature pattern, but there are signs that warmest water will be found closer to the Central Pacific and not just off the coast of South America.

Another key to upcoming winter is whether El Niño peaks later this fall and then starts to weaken as we progress through the winter or whether it continues to strengthen during the winter. A strengthening El Niño rather than a weakening El Niño during the heart of winter would likely mean a milder winter for Eastern Canada.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 AM

29,588 posts, read 19,698,409 times
^^

I think the East Coast is going to have a harsh winter this year. I can just picture storms riding that jet stream up the East Coast.

We may get good action in the second half. I doubt we will have a snowy winter. Maybe some cold shots.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
JB changes and goes with a typical El Nino pattern

https://twitter.com/HenryMargusity/s...83011261751296

I subscribe to WBell, and he hasn't updated his winter forecast. Still has the same forecast. I didn't see him change his analog years either. Not really sure what you are on about.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:45 AM

29,588 posts, read 19,698,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I subscribe to WBell, and he hasn't updated his winter forecast. Still has the same forecast. I didn't see him change his analog years either. Not really sure what you are on about.
From his link he is saying that the SST analog matches his weather bell idea

Old 09-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
From his link he is saying that the SST analog matches his weather bell idea

But he has been saying all along that the models were matching his analog years. The only model he disagreed with was CFS (can you blame him).
This is a non story.

Looks like you won't get much of a winter. But an average winter for you is colder than a below avg winter for us lol.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
read Henry's tweet there. Why would he say he's changed it? "Huge change in thinking from the previous forecast."

I didn't compare maps but maybe there was a preliminary forecast he's alluding to?

I still find it funny how you post in this winter thread and about JB a lot. LOL! Exciting isn't it? LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather