Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,360,645 times

Advertisements

I like how this thread already has 300+ posts, and it's only September 4th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
read Henry's tweet there. Why would he say he's changed it? "Huge change in thinking from the previous forecast."

I didn't compare maps but maybe there was a preliminary forecast he's alluding to?

I still find it funny how you post in this winter thread and about JB a lot. LOL! Exciting isn't it? LOL!
"Huge change" I just don't see that. If that were the case, he would re-issue his maps and update his forecast, which he has not done. And he does have a blog for today. I would think in his blog today he would say "huge change" or re-issue his maps, but he does no such thing. Really, no change as the models have agreed with him all along. No news here.

Re: bolded. Why is that so surprising to you? Let's face it, in our continental climate the only interesting weather is in winter (except for the odd hurricane or tropical storm). This seems a dead year for hurricanes.

So yeah, I appreciate winter for the dramatic storms etc. I'm getting bored with summer now and am ready for the change of seasons. If I lived in a climate that didn't have what I considered "summer", I probably wouldn't be looking forward to Fall. But here, we get just enough really warm months and beach time to be satisfied, imo.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
"Huge change" I just don't see that. If that were the case, he would re-issue his maps and update his forecast, which he has not done. And he does have a blog for today. I would think in his blog today he would say "huge change" or re-issue his maps, but he does no such thing. Really, no change as the models have agreed with him all along. No news here.

Why is that so surprising to you? Let's face it, in our continental climate the only interesting weather is in winter (except for the odd hurricane or tropical storm). This seems a dead year for hurricanes.

So yeah, I appreciate winter for the dramatic storms etc. I'm getting bored with summer now and am ready for the change of seasons. If I lived in a climate that didn't have what I considered "summer", I probably wouldn't be looking forward to Fall. But here, we get just enough really warm months and beach time to be satisfied, imo.
There used to be a poster (lpfan? or something like that) that used to complain that your region had no summers. I think that's laughable to say when your average high is 80+ for more than 3 months (and peaking at almost 90 degrees). Philly has pretty hot and sultry summers.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I like how this thread already has 300+ posts, and it's only September 4th.

At least in our neck of the woods, winter is far more interesting than summer. And I still consider this year a bit of a disappointment. I like huge thunderstorms and higher dewpoints than this dry desert crap. I'm sick of the dry dry conditions.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
There used to be a poster (lpfan? or something like that) that used to complain that your region had no summers. I think that's laughable to say when your average high is 80+ for more than 3 months (and peaking at almost 90 degrees). Philly has pretty hot and sultry summers.

Yeah I remember him. Crackpot. Another thing is how friggin stable our summers are. August had not one day with a temp anomaly of 10F. Just about every day was a few above or below average. So yeah, all summer long high temps are in the mid to upper 80's very consistently. And nights rarely venture below 65F and most nights are 68-74F for the low. Our avg low this August was 70F. No summer??? Yeah right.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
At least in our neck of the woods, winter is far more interesting than summer. And I still consider this year a bit of a disappointment. I like huge thunderstorms and higher dewpoints than this dry desert crap. I'm sick of the dry dry conditions.
Summer was a disappointment here too. Well below average rainfall and storms. We're actually in a big drought right now. Honestly, I usually find summer more interesting than winter here but this year has been **** weather wise. A boring, tropical-like winter, a well above average spring (and dry) and a hot summer with little precipitation. This has been a pretty annoying year weather-wise down here.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah I remember him. Crackpot. Another thing is how friggin stable our summers are. August had not one day with a temp anomaly of 10F. Just about every day was a few above or below average. So yeah, all summer long high temps are in the mid to upper 80's very consistently. And nights rarely venture below 65F and most nights are 68-74F for the low. Our avg low this August was 70F. No summer??? Yeah right.
I would honestly say that Philly has "realer" summers than it does winters.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Summer was a disappointment here too. Well below average rainfall and storms. We're actually in a big drought right now. Honestly, I usually find summer more interesting than winter here but this year has been **** weather wise. A boring, tropical-like winter, a well above average spring (and dry) and a hot summer with little precipitation. This has been a pretty annoying year weather-wise down here.

Your winters are dead boring compared to here. It is very exciting in winter here. You should come up for a two week visit in winter, then you will see exactly what real winter is like compared to where you live. But I like wet lush summers. I hate seeing dead brown grass in summer. Been very dry since the end of June. That is a typical El Nino feature though for our area.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Your winters are dead boring compared to here. It is very exciting in winter here. You should come up for a two week visit in winter, then you will see exactly what real winter is like compared to where you live. But I like wet lush summers. I hate seeing dead brown grass in summer. Been very dry since the end of June. That is a typical El Nino feature though for our area.
Winter is indeed boring as hell here, but we do see some temperature swings from time to time (usually from the 80s to the 50s; probably similar to an April or May cold front in Philly) but honestly if I wanted to visit a place with real winters I would go somewhere colder and snowier than Philly.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:20 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
Quote:
Couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather