Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 07:33 AM

29,556 posts, read 19,649,268 times

Advertisements

The latest forecast with the most recent 10 days initialized from the CFSv2. Even warmer for the CONUS

Don't put away the shorts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,944,693 times
^^^

Man, thats one depressing map. We've been having warmer winters out here in Colorado, and this has allowed all sorts of insect pests to survive the winter in large numbers. Come spring, they all hatch out to munch on our aspen and pine trees. You can now see large stands of dead trees in the Colorado mountains - very sad. And there's an insect species that specializes in each tree species, so no trees are safe these days. Its like we're experiencing the 7 plagues of Egypt around here.

I did see where the coming El Nino year is supposed to bring more precip to the American West? If so, good because we really need a good winter snow pack in the mountains to help break the over-all drought we've been experiencing. Fingers crossed on that one.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^^^

Man, thats one depressing map. We've been having warmer winters out here in Colorado, and this has allowed all sorts of insect pests to survive the winter in large numbers. Come spring, they all hatch out to munch on our aspen and pine trees. You can now see large stands of dead trees in the Colorado mountains - very sad. And there's an insect species that specializes in each tree species, so no trees are safe these days. Its like we're experiencing the 7 plagues of Egypt around here.

I did see where the coming El Nino year is supposed to bring more precip to the American West? If so, good because we really need a good winter snow pack in the mountains to help break the over-all drought we've been experiencing. Fingers crossed on that one.
The good news is (or bad news depending on your preference) that the CFSv2 is notoriously bad in forecasting downstream feedbacks.

Also we may have an El Nino that morphs into a Modoki by December

https://twitter.com/Met_mdclark/stat...95958482432000

Old 09-13-2015, 10:41 AM

https://twitter.com/mfdwx/status/633032776699265025

Old 09-13-2015, 10:53 AM

I think this winter will play out in one of the four scenarios I have boxed

Old 09-13-2015, 11:20 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,282,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^^^

I know what your saying.

Western forests have been devastated by mountain pine beetle,
over 60 million acres of trees from central BC to northern NM.

Meanwhile we in southern Ontario are dealing with the "emerald" ash borer, killing millions of ash trees.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:06 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,944,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I know what your saying.

Western forests have been devastated by mountain pine beetle,
over 60 million acres of trees from central BC to northern NM.

Meanwhile we in southern Ontario are dealing with the "emerald" ash borer, killing millions of ash trees.
Yep, I've seen pictures of the damage done to Canada's forests as well. And that damn emerald ash borer is showing up in Colorado now, too. For example, the city of Boulder is starting to lose all its ash trees due to it. Since 1996, approximately 3.4 million acres of lodgepole, ponderosa and five-needle pines have been impacted by the outbreak of mountain pine beetle in Colorado. I HATE, HATE, HATE these unusually warm winters we've been experiencing because I know they will bring about the deaths of even more trees in our forests.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:24 PM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times
EPWA weekly video is heavy on a winter outlook preview and El Nino's effect on it.

He likes the 57-58 analog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JSKr2R6Xz8

Old 09-13-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
EPWA weekly video is heavy on a winter outlook preview and El Nino's effect on it.

He likes the 57-58 analog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JSKr2R6Xz8
That was an excellent discussion. He makes a good case for a 57-58 analog (a JB has been saying all along). Btw Tom, he stated that the winter of 57/58 Philly received 42 inches of snow

Though in not so sure this September will end up cool in the Central US which was the case in 57/87 as he showed at the beginning of the video

First half of September anomalies, significantly warmer than normal. Models don't suggest any major long cool spell for the second half of the month

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 09-13-2015 at 07:02 PM..

Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 AM

35,118 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Paulie P video today with Accu Pro.. 3:00-3:30

December precip anomaly map. He sounds worried..

"Look at the moisture plume coming here off the, this makes me nervous about the Northeast because, you can still get an above normal month for month of December...lack of Arctic airs.. but doesn't mean you can't get any snow... I'm a little nervous, everyone is saying we're waiting to February for everything to happen...I'm a little nervous that some point in December maybe late December we start getting nailed with some snow events in the East"

(picture omitted)

On that note..

Richmond got 4.5" November 11, 1987. That month was above normal with temps. So if the moisture is available and the timing is right, we can still get snow even though consensus is showing above normal!

I just don't like how there is absolutely no arctic air being shown.
I believe last year we were seeing it being projected by now. Maybe not
Even in relatively snowless 1972-3 winter (for New York City 2.9" inches for the winter, almost all 1/29/1973), another winter with a similar super El Niño, we had a near-miss on December 15, 1972. Central Park got nothing, in Scarsdale we got about 2", then an icy mix, then back to a snow-sleet mix. When all was said and done about 4", a major mess, and iron cold (my tuba valve froze) on 12/16-18/1972. And I don't know if December 2002 wound up above or below normal (it was close) we had 5" of fluffy, dry snow on December 5, and about 8" of rain changing to snow on Christmas Day. Ditto December 2009. All major El Niños.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I think this winter will play out in one of the four scenarios I have boxed
Let's pray for the Modokai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather