Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 02:04 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,931,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
For late October/early November, yes. Not for December.
If you don't know it, know it now; the US South, in a natural climactic state, without foreign cold invasions, would be a very warm place during winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Tampico's record low is 29F. Obviously he meant that Hanoi's record low was much warmer.
I know, I was just taking the time to call out his typo.

Regardless though, Hanoi is at a lower latitude than Tampico, so it is expected that the record low is warmer. Honestly, nothing is volatile about the North American continent; the climate is very placid, unless you are in the Great Plains. Even then, South America has a similar region East of the Andes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 02:35 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,958,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The record for snowfall at lowest latitude goes to Beihai, occurring in 1654. Hainan Island was known to be covered with snow and ice during that time:
weather and climate - Snowfall at sea level closest to the equator? - Travel Stack Exchange

During the times of China's cold, citrus crops weren't being grown in areas that grow them effectively today, due to the cold. This shows that things, like the US South's "inability" to cultivate citrus, or surprising tendency to record lows, is merely a temporary condition. It can be that citrus + 9A USDA hardiness zones go far higher naturally in the Eastern US than what we are seeing today.

If Hanoi's temp was much colder, than how would that make North America more volatile?

Because that was a typo. Obviously the 37F in Hanoi is warmer than the 29F in Tampico since the 1950's. I wonder how cold Tampico got in 1890's if Brownsville went down to 12F. I'll be the low 20'sF. Probably the coldest ever for a tropical low latitude elevation. That says something about how volatile winter is in North America.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:03 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,958,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
If you don't know it, know it now; the US South, in a natural climactic state, without foreign cold invasions, would be a very warm place during winter.

I know, I was just taking the time to call out his typo.

Regardless though, Hanoi is at a lower latitude than Tampico, so it is expected that the record low is warmer. Honestly, nothing is volatile about the North American continent; the climate is very placid, unless you are in the Great Plains. Even then, South America has a similar region East of the Andes.

Lol, yeah the 21N of Hanoi vs the 22N of Tampico. You have no credibility in this using the term "foreign cold invasions" as if it is something unusual.

I know you are very young, but it will be interesting to see the reactions of someone like you born after the 1980's if and when we ever get to experience another really cold decade like that.

You won't know what hit you when you see single digit temps on the far southeastern coast and not just one year, but almost year after year. They had dead coco palms in West Palm Beach, and millions of acres of citrus trees wiped out in central FL. Cold epoch my a... It is the climate of N. America. It always was like this, and always will be. There will be no long running epoch of winters this mild, or as mild as they have been the last two decades.

Hey cold epoch, here are the low temps in Savannah, GA from 1981 top 1989. Single digit temps three times, and below 15F 6 out of ten years. Show me where in China this has happened, and in the last few decades, not 500 years ago.

1981 14
1982 12
1983 9
1984 20
1985 3
1986 13
1987 6
1989 22
1989 16

Again, I refer you to this fantastic article written by Dan Gill, the New Orleans newspaper gardening columnist. This tells it like it was.

Repeated freezes are tough on tropical plants, but New Orleans gardens have been through worse | NOLA.com

This is what North America can do to a place below 30N at sea level in winter. Find me some other part of the globe at that latitude and elevation where the things described below happened. Come on cold epoch guy, for once prove it that somewhere else in the world can get as strangely far off from the average low temps as North America with nothing but low pressure and high pressure riding along the continent all winter. And every once in a while the low comes down from the North Pole.

But if we evaluate the winter based on how cold it has actually gotten so far -- that is, the lowest temperature experienced -- this winter has not been all that terrible.

Experiencing just one night of 15 degrees in New Orleans with temperatures staying below freezing for a day or two would be far worse than numerous freezes in the mid-20s. The effect on tropicals in our landscapes would be disastrous, as I well know.

I began my horticultural career in 1980 when I was hired as an LSU AgCenter extension horticulturist in Orleans Parish. During the '80s, temperatures dipped down into the upper teens every few years in New Orleans. That chilly decade culminated in the catastrophic freeze of December 1989. Occurring just before Christmas that year, temperatures in New Orleans reached 11 degrees and stayed below freezing for three straight days.

In December 1989, temperatures in New Orleans reached 11 degrees and stayed below freezing for three straight days. In the midst of the freeze, I remember looking out a window at the snow and ice and actually shedding tears. I knew this freeze would destroy much of the unique beauty provided by our tropical plants, and it simply broke my heart.

And, indeed the freezes were devastating to area landscapes. Golden rain trees (Koelreuteria bipinnata) and camphor trees (Cinnamomum camphora) were widely planted, and every single one was killed. I remember flying into New Orleans in June 1990 and seeing so many dead trees it almost looked like winter. Many people had to completely change their landscape plantings, as yards previously shaded by 30-year-old rain trees were drenched in sun.

There were dead palms everywhere. All but a few of the hardiest palms species were largely wiped out.
Tropical plants were substantially eliminated from landscapes, although some of the hardier types with below ground parts, such as bulbs or rhizomes, managed to survive. Efforts at protecting tropicals were largely ineffective. It was simply too cold for too long for covering to help that much.
The cold was so intense that putting plants in garages did not necessarily save them unless heaters were used. People who had left home for the holidays and turned off their heat came home to find indoor plants that had actually frozen to death inside their houses.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:08 PM

83,588 posts, read 75,560,215 times
Some light snow for Kentucky on the 17th?

Old 12-08-2015, 07:39 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,995,747 times
Washington DC to be 21C and sunny this Saturday?

Surreal.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:10 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,690,461 times
I am looking forward to the PATTERN CHANGE that will be occurring along and after the 15th of the month. I like the direction that the GFS has been trending today, just have to go through another crazy mild week and keep checking the calendar to see what month it really is.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,595,264 times
Meanwhile in the Granite State:

https://twitter.com/MWObs/status/674303871494303744

Undercast lasted all day. Whitefield, NH in the valley had a high of 36°F and overcast, barely any warming in the day. Summit had a high of 31°F with sun.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:37 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,767,092 times
Maybe someone more knowledgable than myself can weigh in on this, but I've been checking out these GFS models and lately, they've been showing a more "El Niño-like" pattern setting up after the 15th or so. Being from California I always check where the storm track is coming from and since fall has started it seems like most if not all storm systems have been originating in the gulf of Alaska, moving south around Oregon, then heading straight east, which usually results in rains for NorCal and snow in the Sierra, but rarely anything south of that.

Lately the longer range ones have shown a more west to east storm track and it looks to be directly in line with California, with storms originating far south of Alaska, more like midway between Hawaii and the Aleutians. I know it's pretty far out, but what have you guys seen lately in some other models?

https://ready.arl.noaa.gov/data/fore...nel2/plt10.gif

Old 12-09-2015, 05:00 AM

GFS6z Storm tracks. There's actually another little weak clipper on the 12th between the Top 2 frames.

At least it's looking active but man I'd love to see that trough dig east more.

I'm not sure which I hate more in winter, Warm Rain or Cold Rains. lol

Dec 10th - Clipper stays at and north of the border

Dec 12th - Weak clipper stays at and north of the border

Dec 15th - Storm cuts to Great Lakes, crosses over the Appalachians and off the New England Coast. This one is changing last minute senarios on the exact track.

Dec 16th - Another storm cutting to Great Lakes. Snows on Northwest side of it. Warm East but jet stream dipping over New England

Dec 21st - Give or take. This one changing solutions a lot still being 11 days out. This one has yet another Lake Cutter with very warm East. Snows for Chicago though

Old 12-09-2015, 05:54 AM

Blowtorch pattern again this morning. Brrrrr.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather