Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,803,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ha yes.. its on map and I said "feels like" hoping it was implied. Should of made it clearer maybe.
Temps weren't far off in the low 40s.

Speaking of low 40s... It feels like November out there mid morning. Light rain and 41°F?

Don't worry guys, 70s and 80s will be here soon. Even maybe some heat waves in the summer.

I took this photo on Route 7 in Wilton, Norwalk River this morning..
That's a pretty photo. You've had some good photos lately, seems like you do a decent job at getting around your area even if you don't leave western CT much. I've been slow at contributing the last few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 AM

12,623 posts, read 14,021,846 times
Here is Accu-W's take on the upcoming summer for the Great Lakes and East. George is in for a cool summer, lol if he gets a lot of winds out of the east. Maybe he shouldn't have cheered on the cold winter so much, as the ice coverage from the winter on the Lakes is the primary reason.

All sounds good to me, but shame I don't believe a word of it. They have never been right on their summer predicitons from what I remember. Cold pattern is here to stay for the next year, or until that huge pool of warm water goes away in the NE Pacific.

Summer 2014: Series of Storms to Attack Central US, Mid-Atlantic

With their second highest ice coverage on record, the Great Lakes reached their peak ice coverage on March 6, 2014, with 92.19 percent of the lakes encrusted in ice. Despite the spring season, as of April 16, the lakes were still 38 percent covered by ice.

"There are no years in the last 30 years that are even close to that, so it's very unusual this late in the season to have that much ice coverage," Pastelok said.

This image, acquired by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA's Aqua satellite, shows the Great Lakes on Feb. 19, 2014, when ice covered 80.3 percent of the lakes. (Satellite Image/MODIS)

The extent of the ice coverage still present on the lakes will make water temperature recovery very difficult and, as a result, may have a huge impact on the summer weather for the region including some of the U.S.'s major cities, such as Cleveland, Detroit and Buffalo, N.Y.

"It's going to affect the overall atmosphere around the region," Pastelok said. "It may be a bit on the cooler side."

In addition to cooler weather for the area, the lagging lake temperatures could lead to less severe weather near the lakes, as storms track farther south.

Strongest Heat Arrives Late Summer in East

A relatively normal summer weather pattern is in store for much of the East this year with temperatures expected to be back and forth in June and July.

In the I-95 corridor, temperatures will average out to near or slightly above average for the summer, as thunderstorms sporadically pop up in the area, according to Pastelok.

Despite normal temperature ranges in the midsummer months, areas from Washington, D.C., up through Boston are expected to heat up quickly in May before returning to more seasonal temperatures in June and July.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:10 PM

83,711 posts, read 76,196,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Mobile, AL got 11.24in of rain yesterday, 17" for the month. Pensacola got over 11" yesterday as well. Wow, that is a lot of rain in one day. Glad I wasn't there then.
I got over an inch here in last 24hrs and things are just soggy. We've gotten 5 inches here in a day or so and it shows with local poor drainage flooding and river swells/flooding. I cant imagine over a foot in such short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's a pretty photo. You've had some good photos lately, seems like you do a decent job at getting around your area even if you don't leave western CT much. I've been slow at contributing the last few months.
Thanks. I appreciate that. I didn't like my last photo with the river. Its a challenge on cloudy days with the bright white. plus that was with my old cell phone. I'm more of a landscape shooter than architect.

I took a few more last hour as I had to drive 45 minutes NW over the NY border. Better pics in the Photo Thread.

Here's one for now of a swamp. lol and of a farm.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Big chunk of U.S real Estate well below normal right now thanks to Upper Level Low. West coast well above

Only 43°F here at 3pm! Feels like 37F

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/DEPHR/last.html

There it is... orange lines = 500mb heights. ULL right over Iowa

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/sfctest/new/...r=19&parm=pmsl

Last edited by Cambium; 04-30-2014 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Added my OBS

Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,287,312 times
Storms Slamming NJ all day long.

Going to get hot after this, and I am seriously worried about the humidity.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:30 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,453,240 times
these poor guys getting slammed all day too.. mom and dad doing their best to keep babies warm & Dry

Duke Farms - Eagle Cam

Old 04-30-2014, 01:41 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,351,426 times
Quote:
Big chunk of U.S real Estate well below normal right now thanks to Upper Level Low. West coast well above

HOURLY DEPARTURE FROM 1981-2010 AVG

SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis
This is our fourth day of well below average temps here in Denver. But the WIND! Horrible wind each day, and last night the house was creaking But we've stayed above freezing at night, and we're supposed to be in the 80s this weekend.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:46 PM

592 posts, read 466,256 times
Quote:
I wonder how often it feels like this south of me. I know it's not too common here but does happen this time of year even into May.

Here's how it feels outside with the wind. Some Folks are Bundled up out there. April 29, 2014.
Winds still gusting to 30mph here like there's a NorEaster.

Oh man, I made the mistake of taking a 15 minute walk last night in just a sweatshirt and shorts; my fingers felt exactly the same way they do when I shovel snow without gloves in the wintertime! I also remember back in late May, 2005, we had a class field trip to Dorney Park and it was in the 40s and drizzly all day; I even saw my breath lol

Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,447,421 times
Quote:

HOURLY DEPARTURE FROM 1981-2010 AVG

SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis
I see where yall are getting back to some warmth starting tomorrow. Im sure many will be happy.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:49 PM

1.50" and counting. Max temp 42.8°F so far.

Max temp difference tomorrow compared to today. Basically 40s today, 60s/70s tomorrow!

BY THE WAY... that Upper Level Low is like a Polar Vortex over the U.S again. Obviously with different affects now. Imagine if this was January and that ULL was placed there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather