Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 PM

8,181 posts, read 9,292,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I sure did. I'm from Massachusetts, just like him. He was very funny, and a nice guy. My husband is an auto tech, too, and we actually run an auto repair shop.

I didn't bash Leno. He seemed to come off as "forced" once he took over the "Tonight" show, though. And I still think Letterman is the best.

My beef is the thread was predicated on a non-issue. Letterman is not nuts although he said he was. It's called comedy. If you don't get it, I understand. Really. I do.
Forced is key, this guy hit the nail on the head about Leno. My Beef With Jay Leno - Matthew Greenberg - Worst Episode Ever - True/Slant

Here is some classic Leno on Letterman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaJtZ4XA-nU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBRCX...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 03:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,619,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Forced is key, this guy hit the nail on the head about Leno. My Beef With Jay Leno - Matthew Greenberg - Worst Episode Ever - True/Slant
Really good stuff, Hilgi. Loved the opinion piece and I forgot how entertained I was by Leno, back in the day.

On a side note, it was hilarious to see the first clip, clearly shot in 1984 and during the heyday of Miami Vice-wear.

Recent Dave regarding Jay and Conan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98_-EeXS_I

And one to make everyone smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcEx767TIas

Old 10-16-2010, 03:57 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,363,789 times
Thanks for the clips, lmao here. Yes, Leno was better before he hit the Tonight stage floor, IMO.

I once heard Billy Joel wrote this song about/for Letterman back in the day....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85sIJcC8zbs

Old 10-16-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Thanks for the clips, lmao here. Yes, Leno was better before he hit the Tonight stage floor, IMO.

I once heard Billy Joel wrote this song about/for Letterman back in the day....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85sIJcC8zbs
Actually, he's referring to Richard Lewis.

Thanks for the song, though. There is never too much Billy Joel.

I was thinking about the opinion piece that hilgi put up. I think this sums up where Leno went wrong.

According to Bill Carter’s wonderful “The Late Shift,” which chronicled NBC’s decision to replace Johnny Carson with Leno instead of Letterman, when Leno became the regular guest host of “Tonight,” he essential started a multi-year campaign to keep the seat his whenever Carson decided to finally step down. There wasn’t an up-front meeting, affiliate luncheon or car dealership opening that Leno wasn’t happy to make an appearance at. Whatever NBC needed from him, he did.

Hey, I don’t begrudge the man trying to win the most coveted job in the comedy world. What really bothered me during this period is the way his comedy changed.

What made these guys so funny was their comedic edge.

The first time I saw Letterman it was 1980 and I was home with horrendous morning sickness. It was morning television but his crazy guy was actually calling a New York judge. I was in tears. I had never seen anyone do something like that and it was hilarious.

Letterman never kow-towed to anyone. Whoever signed his paycheck instantly became his target and as uncomfortable as that made management, there was nothing that could be done because the more he poked fun at them, the more money he was making them.

And that's why Matt Greenburg's piece is so dead-on.

By the time he took over “Tonight” in 1992, Leno was the “everyman,” comedian of the little guy, always on the side of Larry Lunchbucket, where ever Larry Lunchbucket happened to be, even if Larry Lunchbucket’s stance made no sense. You never know where Leno stands now, because he stands everywhere: Republican, Democrat, black, white, establishment or outsider — whoever you are, Leno agrees with you that the other guy is crazy. He tries so hard to be ingratiating, that it just ends up grating.

We, as a nation, easily bend whichever way someone blows. This thread is a perfect example of that.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:37 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,363,789 times
"Actually, he's referring to Richard Lewis."

Thanks, hic. I heard some discjockey say that it was Letterman one time, so I thought it was true. Duh, I've been telling people that for quite some time now. LOL Time for me to keep my mouth shut!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM

8,181 posts, read 9,292,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Actually, he's referring to Richard Lewis.

Thanks for the song, though. There is never too much Billy Joel.

I was thinking about the opinion piece that hilgi put up. I think this sums up where Leno went wrong.

According to Bill Carter’s wonderful “The Late Shift,” which chronicled NBC’s decision to replace Johnny Carson with Leno instead of Letterman, when Leno became the regular guest host of “Tonight,” he essential started a multi-year campaign to keep the seat his whenever Carson decided to finally step down. There wasn’t an up-front meeting, affiliate luncheon or car dealership opening that Leno wasn’t happy to make an appearance at. Whatever NBC needed from him, he did.

Hey, I don’t begrudge the man trying to win the most coveted job in the comedy world. What really bothered me during this period is the way his comedy changed.

What made these guys so funny was their comedic edge.

The first time I saw Letterman it was 1980 and I was home with horrendous morning sickness. It was morning television but his crazy guy was actually calling a New York judge. I was in tears. I had never seen anyone do something like that and it was hilarious.

Letterman never kow-towed to anyone. Whoever signed his paycheck instantly became his target and as uncomfortable as that made management, there was nothing that could be done because the more he poked fun at them, the more money he was making them.

And that's why Matt Greenburg's piece is so dead-on.

By the time he took over “Tonight” in 1992, Leno was the “everyman,” comedian of the little guy, always on the side of Larry Lunchbucket, where ever Larry Lunchbucket happened to be, even if Larry Lunchbucket’s stance made no sense. You never know where Leno stands now, because he stands everywhere: Republican, Democrat, black, white, establishment or outsider — whoever you are, Leno agrees with you that the other guy is crazy. He tries so hard to be ingratiating, that it just ends up grating.

We, as a nation, easily bend whichever way someone blows. This thread is a perfect example of that.
The funny thing about Leno is his bit about asking people basic questions, is basically showing his audience. I don't want to sound elitist but his humor is pretty lowbrow to me.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The funny thing about Leno is his bit about asking people basic questions, is basically showing his audience. I don't want to sound elitist but his humor is pretty lowbrow to me.
It's not the first time someone or a show has pandered to the largest common denominator, either. "Married With Children," "Happy Days," Montel Williams, Jerry Springer and Maury Povich I am looking at you.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,612,355 times
I didn't see him with Rachel Ray, but when Jamie Oliver was on talking about bad eating habits, trying to do a cooking demo, Letterman was being so obnoxious, it was really very sad.

I think it's pretty funny when one day he can have Bill Clinton on, have a deep, intelligent conversation and the very next day have to do an interview with SNOOKIE!!!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I think it's pretty funny when one day he can have Bill Clinton on, have a deep, intelligent conversation and the very next day have to do an interview with SNOOKIE!!!
That's the nature of talk shows.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:05 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,456,722 times
If he would bring back the old lady who used to get up in the audience and swear at him like in the old NBC show, I might watch. She knew how to talk to him the way he deserves to be talked to. He's just too mean anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV