Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 02:42 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,566,370 times

Advertisements

thanks Urbannizer. im starting to wonder if some of these people have ever been IN these parts of Houston or if theyve just seen them from afar while driving through the city.

First24, that picture of uptown is OLD.

heres some Uptown Houston density for you..

and some of the new towers currently planned/under construction for Uptown. not including the new towers that have recently been completed that arent in your linked picture of uptown, like BBVA Compass, the Waterwall apartments, ect

you have to remember uptown Houston is much bigger than uptown Dallas, so we have that much more work to do to in order to get the same results.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 PM

146 posts, read 352,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
thanks Urbannizer. im starting to wonder if some of these people have ever been IN these parts of Houston or if theyve just seen them from afar while driving through the city.

and some of the new towers currently planned/under construction for Uptown. not including the new towers that have recently been completed that arent in your linked picture of uptown, like BBVA Compass, the Waterwall apartments, ect

you have to remember uptown Houston is much bigger than uptown Dallas, so we have that much more work to do to in order to get the same results.
Lol that photo he used has to date back to the 1990's. Villa D'Este, Montebello, Cosmopolitan and several other high-rises are also missing!

Old 09-15-2013, 03:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:

I lived Uptown. It's not dense, or at least it wasn't in 2011. And I mean that skyline wise and street level.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I lived Uptown. It's not dense, or at least it wasn't in 2011. And I mean that skyline wise and street level.
I agree it's not "dense" for the most part, but it sure is improving and isn't as scarce looking as that picture he posted from 20 years ago.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:01 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,879 times
Belfiore reminds me of a less historic/classical version of The Residences at Stoneleigh

Old 09-15-2013, 09:19 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Outside of which city has a more "impressive skyline", which city do you guys think is more cultural?

Which city gives off a more distinctive vibe? Which city has more influence? More diversity? More memorable? Being awed by a city's expansive and inspiring skyline is one thing, but remembering the city for the way it made you feel is vastly more important.

Anyone wanna take a stab at it?

Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Outside of which city has a more "impressive skyline", which city do you guys think is more cultural?

Which city gives off a more distinctive vibe? Which city has more influence? More diversity? More memorable? Being awed by a city's expansive and inspiring skyline is one thing, but remembering the city for the way it made you feel is vastly more important.

Anyone wanna take a stab at it?
more distinct vibe, Dallas. more influence, Houston. more diversity, Houston. more memorable, toss up on what your doing and where your at in each city. maybe for image Dallas since its got all the flashy lights on everything (including parking garages for hospitals.. wtf?).

Old 09-15-2013, 11:44 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
more distinct vibe, Dallas. more influence, Houston. more diversity, Houston. more memorable, toss up on what your doing and where your at in each city. maybe for image Dallas since its got all the flashy lights on everything (including parking garages for hospitals.. wtf?).
I guess it's debatable. There are untold amounts of similarities between the two cities, but I had always thought and kind of hoped that Dallas kept a cultural edge over Houston and its capitalistic corporate feel.

New Orleans and Atalanta are on two different scales when it comes to economics, population, influence, etc. However, I think New Orleans is more unique and impressionable.

Same can be said for San Francisco vs any other California city except L.A.

New York and L.A., though very different beasts are both huge producers of culture. I think New York has more sway and is a larger contributor, plus it's been around a lot longer.

Dallas and Houston both seem to have a somewhat generic vibe, Houston more so since it is corporate dominated. Though I confess I don't know much about either city.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I guess it's debatable. There are untold amounts of similarities between the two cities, but I had always thought and kind of hoped that Dallas kept a cultural edge over Houston and its capitalistic corporate feel.

New Orleans and Atlanta are on two different scales when it comes to economics, population, influence, etc. However, I think New Orleans is more unique and impressionable.

Same can be said for San Francisco vs any other California city except L.A.

New York and L.A., though very different beasts are both huge producers of culture. I think New York has more sway and is a larger contributor, plus it's been around a lot longer.

Dallas and Houston both seem to have a somewhat generic vibe, Houston more so since it is corporate dominated. Though I confess I don't know much about either city.
Really?

Old 09-16-2013, 05:26 AM

568 posts, read 901,930 times
Houston wins in culture, no contest. This is a skyline thread though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas