Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 03:45 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Like its in the middle of a forest.
...No......not the tree debate......pl...ple...please don't...

Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 PM

Washington dc:

Dallas:

Last edited by dallasboi; 09-17-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 03:55 PM

568 posts, read 901,601 times
lol

Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Then again, DC can't shake a stick to Texas when it comes to skylines, airports, or COL.

Back on topic...

Old 09-17-2013, 08:58 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
and how does it make Houston look?
I'm on the Housotn side and I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that.

Oh and sunbelt cities have the urban neighborhoods, they are just empty lots and ghettos while older cities have them developed.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
So the new is less dense and mature then the old. I could be wrong here but it could be because they are newer. Same as everything else from trees to people to diseases and everything else that grows.
Yes, and I said that such is the way of new city planning and architecture, to make things less dense and more sprawl.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:55 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Dallas' cutting edge Arts District broke ground on another office tower. Hall Arts Office Tower will stand 18 floors high above what the locals call "stonehenge" complete with modern LED lighting strips cladding the glass and metal skin.

Quote:
Legacy Dallas lawfirm Jackson Walker LP will be renting just over 100,000 square feet of space in a new office tower going up in downtown Dallas.

Jackson Walker will join accounting firm KPMG and UMB Bank as lead tenants in the 18-story, 500,000-square-foot high-rise that is being built by Hall Financial Group. Hall – a Frisco-based real estate and investment firm – will also move its headquarters to the project.

Work has already begun on the tower, which will be called KPMG Plaza.

“We actually started construction this past Monday,” developer Craig Hall said Wednesday at an event kicking off the development. “We expect to complete the first building by March 31 of 2015.

“We will have some tenants moving in very shortly after that.”

KPMG Plaza is the first phase of the 3-building Hall Arts complex at Ross Avenue and Leonard Street.

A 30-story condo tower and another large office high-rise are also planned.

“Ultimately there will be around three quarters of a billion dollars of construction when we are done,” Hall said.

The next tower in Hall Financial’s development is already in the works, and will likely contain a combination of condominiums and hotel rooms.

“We are talking to some hotel partners that would own and operate the building – that’s what we are after,” Hall said. “If we find the right hotel partner that’s what we are doing.”

Last edited by BCB; 09-18-2013 at 11:04 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 11:40 PM

Great. ....hopefully this is the beginning of a snow-ball of development for downtown. DUST OFF THOSE CRANES BABY!!!:

Old 09-19-2013, 02:27 AM

298 posts, read 416,728 times
I don't like it. The design could be better, and it doesn't look like it does any good at streetlevel too, which the Arts District really needs. But oh well, at least something is going there.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 AM

297 posts, read 476,271 times
Default Most of Dallas' "city" is on the North side of the River

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
That 8th picture is what irritates me about Houston. From certain vantage points you see this big, endless city in the distance. It has that wow factor. But when you try to approach the city that wow factor turns into wow, where is the big city that I saw out there? It vanishes, it's a mirage, it doesn't exist, it's just a creation of the lack of zoning. Buildings spread out and about throughout the vastness of Houston city limits.

Dallas on the other hand doesn't seem as big from a distance when compared to Houston. But when you approach it, it is huge and continuous. You can actually go into the city that you saw from afar and get lost in it.
I agree. What alot of these Houston people don't get, And what makes Dallas look less dense, is the fact
that Downtown Dallas sits next to a vast Green strip of land (on the South/south West side) that belongs to the Trinity River levee.
All of that area is a flood zone, thus, they don't build on it.
It makes Dallas look like there is no civilization around it. But there is. Lots of it, but its on the north side of the Levee area (btw, that ares is being turned into the Biggest Natural reserve/city park in the U.S. -Bigger than Central Park in New York). They are going to try and make it like the RiverWalk in San Antonio.
that is a ways off, though.

As for what is on the North Side of Downtown, it is DENSE.
Maybe not as "tall" as Houston, but it is Dense, probably more dense than Houston.
And like I mentioned before, Dallas is surrounded by small cities with their OWN downtown.
If Dallas were to Expand it's City border, and Its County line, it would Most Definitely Be Bigger than Houston.
Someone (above) tried to laugh at my comment , that we have a ways to catch up with Chicago..
and added Houston in there, as a city that Dallas needs to Catch up to. lol.
Whatever man.
I guarantee that person has not even BEEN to Dallas.
But I HAVE been to Houston.
And I was not impressed. Not at all.
DALLAS IS MORE IMPRESSIVE. And anyone who says it isn't, hasn't been to Dallas (North Dallas),
or has not been here, THIS YEAR.
(try going up the 75 toward plano, or up the 35, and then say Houston is bigger. hahahahhaa !

Last edited by TheDarkSide; 09-19-2013 at 07:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas