Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The problem is Dallas is almost TOO planned.
But not quite. Just the perfect amount of thought goes into projects in Dallas. That's why the majority of people I know prefer Dallas over Houston. Just the other night, I went out to dinner at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen with my boss, who is from Denver. We were talking about territories we cover...out of the blue he says that he "hates Houston. It's one of the ugliest cities and I would never want to move there." Likewise, I smiled and high-fived him.

Every city has flaws, Dallas included, but some seem turn off more people than others.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
"After a major expansion, at 2,350,000 square feet (218,000 m2), it is now the second-largest mall in Texas and the 21st-largest in the U.S. based on total square feet of retail space (gross leasable area) according to the International Council of Shopping Centers."

"With 3 million total square feet of space that includes 2.4 million of gross leasable area with over 375 stores, the Galleria is the largest mall in Texas and eighth-largest in the United States."

theGalleria's square footage isnt including Neiman Marcus or Dillards either. NP isnt bigger than theGalleria..
When did Dillard's become apart of the Galleria?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 238,449 times
Default Houston Is The Winner Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
I know your Galleria is 1,000 feet outside the loop. I've been there before. It's close enough to the loop to be associated with the Everything-worth-anything-is-ITL mentality that is Houston.

A few years ago I was in Houston visiting a buddy, who told me the last time he visited that he was thinking of going in an entirely different, laid-back direction: San Antonio. So it was Christmastime. I love Christmas. I really wanted to see the decorations at the Galleria. As hard as I tried to convince him to go with me, he would not be swayed. "I'm not getting stuck in all that traffic." So I had to go by myself and yes, the traffic was horrendous, but it was worth it. Though some Houstonians have a different take.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...its-age-2.html

#16 All the Galleria needs is a nice facelift remodel - like the one that the Dallas Galleria (which is newer than ours in the base case) got recently.

That thread is three years old, so the management has probably had time to slap some paint on it. Did they ever perform a facelift on the old girl?

When I read stuff like the Dallas Galleria is a "cheap knock off" I know that this can only be written by someone intent on propagandizing. It's the famed Houston inferiority complex rearing its ugly head, the Rodney Dangerfield of the Texas Triangle.

Our Galleria is glittering and upscale--it has to be in order to compete with NorthPark. NorthPark has continually upgraded over the years, spending tens of millions of dollars in the process--and we're not talking facelift here. NP is also aggressively courting high-end retailers, many exclusive to Texas. With these two showcase, regional malls so near to each other, the competition is fierce (not to mention the rivalry with Highland Park Village). Our Galleria is also home to the tallest indoor Christmas tree in the USA. It's a must-see every Christmas season.
http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a...s_original.jpg

Lastly, MM, you know full well that the northeast corner of the Dallas North Tollway and LBJ intersection is one of the prime pieces of real estate in the state of Texas.
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...!2m1!1e3&fid=7

This is what is envisioned for the property, a $3.5B development.
Dallas Midtown
Dallas Midtown | Media Kit

This is not a pipe dream. Per this 8/22/13 article, groundbreaking is near.
Beck Ventures exec details $3.5B Dallas Midtown project (Video) - Dallas Business Journal

Going to the Galleria in Houston is like stepping in Mexico City.
What a jealous rant. The green-eyed monster has Dallas in fits over Houston. Houston does not have an inferiority complex and is undaunted by lil Dallas and could forget it exists. To the contrary, Dallas has an unwarranted superiority complex that no one can substantiate (a Look at me, Look at me psychosis). Some call it 'Delusions of Grandeur.' Houston is running the boards on luxury and Dallas hates it, as usual. As the reports state the Houston Galleria is 'King' in Texas by a wide margin. Accept reality and the facts, Dallas can't match it. Maybe Dallas should build another mall, they're good at malls on every corner. And Dallas Galleria is an attempt at the Houston original. Dallas can thank Houston for its lil Galleria with its cute x-mas tree.

The Houston Galleria (the largest shopping center in Texas) is expanding, including a new Saks Fifth Avenue flagship expansion. That's why a fortune is being spent to renovate the fabulous institution...the Houston Galleria is getting a new Chanel suit.

Going to the Galleria in Houston is like stepping in Mexico City?! Lol, more like stepping into Beverly Hills or Fifth Avenue. I'll tell you what, whomever is stepping into the 'world-famous' Houston Galleria is spending major BANK! 1.25 Billion is extraordinary! Get it Houston!

Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
What a jealous rant. The green-eyed monster has Dallas in fits over Houston. Houston does not have an inferiority complex and is undaunted by lil Dallas and could forget it exists. To the contrary, Dallas has an unwarranted superiority complex that no one can substantiate (a Look at me, Look at me psychosis). Some call it 'Delusions of Grandeur.' Houston is running the boards on luxury and Dallas hates it, as usual. As the reports state the Houston Galleria is 'King' in Texas by a wide margin. Accept reality and the facts, Dallas can't match it. Maybe Dallas should build another mall, they're good at malls on every corner. And Dallas Galleria is an attempt at the Houston original. Dallas can thank Houston for its lil Galleria with its cute x-mas tree.

The Houston Galleria (the largest shopping center in Texas) is expanding, including a new Saks Fifth Avenue flagship expansion. That's why a fortune is being spent to renovate the fabulous institution...the Houston Galleria is getting a new Chanel suit.

Going to the Galleria in Houston is like stepping in Mexico City?! Lol, more like stepping into Beverly Hills or Fifth Avenue. I'll tell you what, whomever is stepping into the 'world-famous' Houston Galleria is spending major BANK! 1.25 Billion is extraordinary! Get it Houston!
Sorry, Houston copied the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Italy.

FYI, the same developer that built the Galleria also built the Galleria Dallas.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
But not quite. Just the perfect amount of thought goes into projects in Dallas. That's why the majority of people I know prefer Dallas over Houston. Just the other night, I went out to dinner at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen with my boss, who is from Denver. We were talking about territories we cover...out of the blue he says that he "hates Houston. It's one of the ugliest cities and I would never want to move there." Likewise, I smiled and high-fived him.

Every city has flaws, Dallas included, but some seem turn off more people than others.
Keep stimulating that Houston economy Dallas!

I bet your idiot boss & possibly yourself didn't even realize ya'll were eating at a Houston based restaurant chain.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-11-2013 at 08:39 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Keep stimulating that Houston economy!

I bet your idiot boss & possibly yourself didn't even realize ya'll were eating at a Houston based restaurant. What a dumb ass he is.
The cursing is unnecessary.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:45 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 238,449 times
Default Houston Is The Winner Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
When did Dillard's become apart of the Galleria?
It really doesn't matter whether it is or isn't. At the end of the day, the 'world-famous' Houston Galleria is much bigger (size and $$$) than NorthPark.

But as Dallasites will surely note, if you add Highland Park Village and Dallas Galleria and NorthPark together, we beat Houston, lol.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
The problem is Dallas is almost TOO planned. Its sterile as heck.

Colorful, eclectic, Bohemian style neighborhoods in Dallas are limited to the Gay district. In Houston, they are found all over the place.

Houston has no zoning which means pretty much anything & everything goes unless you live in an area like River Oaks which has deed restrictions. I happen to like Houston's chaotic feel & unorganized looks. Its like someone took a perfectly planned city like Dallas, mixed it with a little Los Angeles & New Orleans, put it in a blender & wala you've got Houston.
And Atlanta and Orlando

Old 09-11-2013, 08:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
It really doesn't matter whether it is or isn't. At the end of the day, the 'world-famous' Houston Galleria is much bigger (size and $$$) than NorthPark.

But as Dallasites will surely note, if you add Highland Park Village and Dallas Galleria and NorthPark together, we beat Houston, lol.
To me, Northpark just feels like an older, nicely renovated upscale mall where art (some of it terribly designed) seems to be the main focus. With all that money flowing in you'd think they could fix that decrepit parking lot that greats your $80,000 Jaguar's suspension with a thud.

Houston's Galleria feels like a city within a city its so large. One could easily get lost in it that's how big it is. Nothing like walking through the ritzy Houston Galleria with a 900' tall skyscraper looming over your head through the glass ceiling. It gives off a chic, urban vibe which is simply unmatched in the State of Texas.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-11-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:

The Galleria looks like a very generic mall. What's different about it architecturally??

NorthPark has the highest-grossing Dillard's and Neiman-Marcus. NorthPark was the first mall to be featured in vogue magazine and it's one of the 7 retail wonders of the world. It's also filled with art from famous artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas