Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,491 times

Advertisements

^^^DNT/Sam Rayburn intersection.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:15 PM

328 posts, read 471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
D/FW can add up all its skylines it still won't equal whats in the Houston region (The Woodlands, Galveston, Greenspoint, Westchase, Memorial, Energy Corridor, etc.)

There are more skyscrapers inside Houston's 610 Loop alone than that of Dallas & Fort Worth combined. Whats that a 4-8 mile radius compared to a 30+ mile radius?
You and numerous other Houston homers reinforce what I've written about before: Houston completely dominates the metro area, and "ITL" totally dominates the city of Houston. Reading these posts over the years, it's as if living anywhere other than the much vaunted "Inside The Loop" dooms one to a horrible life of deprivation: deprived of the luxury shopping, deprived of the skyscrapers (the horror, the horror), deprived of the museums, deprived of the theater, deprived of the symphony, deprived of the opera, deprived of the ballet, deprived of the diversity, deprived of the density (such as it is, which is not very dense), deprived of the hottest restaurants, deprived of the cool clubs, deprived of the Galleria, deprived of the "hip" neighborhoods, deprived of the best hotels, deprived of light rail, deprived of the sports venues.

If must be hell to live outside that roughly 6-mile radius from downtown Houston.

(I still can't believe a metro area of 6.2 million people can only support a single Central Market. DFW has five CMs.)

Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 PM

298 posts, read 416,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
D/FW does mop up Oklahoma....Bryan County Oklahoma.

Pathetic

Dallas is trying to steal East Texas too to artificially inflate its population numbers. Athens is now a part of Dallas' CSA & it has a Tyler area code!!! More people from Athens commute into Tyler & Smith County for work than Dallas.
No. Bryan only accounts for 50,000 people in our CSA. we do not need Oklahoma or east Texas to boost our population. Heck, we even let go of Delta County in our MSA.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
You and numerous other Houston homers reinforce what I've written about before: Houston completely dominates the metro area, and "ITL" totally dominates the city of Houston. Reading these posts over the years, it's as if living anywhere other than the much vaunted "Inside The Loop" dooms one to a horrible life of deprivation: deprived of the luxury shopping, deprived of the skyscrapers (the horror, the horror), deprived of the museums, deprived of the theater, deprived of the symphony, deprived of the opera, deprived of the ballet, deprived of the diversity, deprived of the density (such as it is, which is not very dense), deprived of the hottest restaurants, deprived of the cool clubs, deprived of the Galleria, deprived of the "hip" neighborhoods, deprived of the best hotels, deprived of light rail, deprived of the sports venues.

If must be hell to live outside that roughly 6-mile radius from downtown Houston.

(I still can't believe a metro area of 6.2 million people can only support a single Central Market. DFW has five CMs.)
Good point.....It all boils down to image and perception. ...H.E.B is a Houston brand and it's founders/ owners don't see fit to build anymore locations in Houston. ..EVEN THEY choose Dallas over Houston. Dallas is the more polished, organized and visually pleasing of the two...and it creates the ideal atmosphere for the Central market Series...Same reason those same founders/ Owners wouldn't dare open a regular H.E.B in DFW. ...It just doesn't fit us....They go perfectly well with the Houston fabric. ...That's why its one on every corner down there....And if im not mistaken I think I read on this very same forum that H.E.Butt. actually lives in Dallas...ha...go figure!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:10 PM

328 posts, read 471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Good point.....It all boils down to image and perception. ...H.E.B is a Houston brand and it's founders/ owners don't see fit to build anymore locations in Houston. ..EVEN THEY choose Dallas over Houston. Dallas is the more polished, organized and visually pleasing of the two...and it creates the ideal atmosphere for the Central market Series...Same reason those same founders/ Owners wouldn't dare open a regular H.E.B in DFW. ...It just doesn't fit us....They go perfectly well with the Houston fabric. ...That's why its one on every corner down there....And if im not mistaken I think I read on this very same forum that H.E.Butt. actually lives in Dallas...ha...go figure!
Touché. Whether I am at home, at work, at my parent's place, or at my sister's and her husband's, I always want to know I am no more than 20 minutes away from hand-sliced Italian prosciutto, fingerling potatoes, organic pears, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and hand-rolled premium sushi, as well as the best selection of wine and beer in the area. I can get that at any of the five Central Market locations in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Dallas Lovers (flagship)
Dallas Preston Royal
Fort Worth (my hometown)
Plano
Southlake

I thought The Woodlands was supposed to be upscale. Don't they have any foodies up there?

Last edited by casimpso; 09-10-2013 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:

1. Luxury shopping is had outside of the loop at the middle-middle upper class Memorial City Mall as well as The Galleria.

2. Skyscraper stretch from Galveston Island to The Woodlands, Katy to Clear Lake, & everything in between. In fact, Houston is the only major city where one can have a 300-900' skyscraper literally sprouting up out of their backyards like a beanstalk in the sky.

3. Fort Bend County (Sugar Land) is the most diverse county in all of Texas. Harris County (Alief) is next. Hell the whole area of SW Houston as a whole is EXTREMELY diverse. Going to The Galleria is like stepping into the United Nations.

4. You for some strange reason keep saying The Galleria is inside of the Loop. That right there tells me you know nothing about Houston. Its in fact outside of the loop.

Notice I stressed The in every one of my sentences. Its because Dallas' Galleria is a cheap knock off of Houston's with an abandoned Ford (or was is Chevy) dealership in the front.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-10-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Casimpso and Dallasboi really showing how much they know. Heb a houston brand? Hahaha

Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
That's like, your opinion man. If you can provide a link to what your saying I would greatly appreciate you Matt. I have yet to see combined skyscrapers for the entire metros and that info would be really interesting to look at.
What he said is actually pretty accurate. In the loop Houston and even slightly outside packs more punch in terms of skyscrapers and buildings than the entire DFW region.

Just look at it this way, if the skylines of each metro were a set of teeth, Houston would have teeth in every place across the mouth. DFW's mouth would have so many gaps and spaces, it would be the Jerome "Yuckmouth" Romey Rome off Martin. That's the best way to put it.

Quote:
Who cares? HEB is expanding like crazy in the Houston market. There are some pantry stores but plenty of higher end stores like the newest Montrose location and the Buffalo Speedway location. Many of those same types of things can be found in those stores as the CMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
H.E.B is a Houston brand and it's founders/ owners don't see fit to build anymore locations in Houston.
HEB is not a houston brand.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Who cares about high end grocery stores when its just that, an over priced grocery store.

I could shop at Fiesta, which is a Houston chain BTW & be perfectly happy. You won't see a supermarket in Texas as diverse as the Fiesta off of Bellaire in SW Houston. I used to shop there all the time when I lived in Chinatown off Beechnut.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
What he said is actually pretty accurate. In the loop Houston and even slightly outside packs more punch in terms of skyscrapers and buildings than the entire DFW region.

Just look at it this way, if the skylines of each metro were a set of teeth, Houston would have teeth in every place across the mouth. DFW's mouth would have so many gaps and spaces, it would be the Jerome "Yuckmouth" Romey Rome off Martin. That's the best way to put it.

Who cares? HEB is expanding like crazy in the Houston market. There are some pantry stores but plenty of higher end stores like the newest Montrose location and the Buffalo Speedway location. Many of those same types of things can be found in those stores as the CMs.

HEB is not a houston brand.
I stand corrected. Ive always thought it was a Houston brand with a few in SanAntonio. Just like Minyards is a Dallas brand. Another reason I thought that is because there's a gazillion of them in Houston. Any normal person who's been to Houston would probably think that since they are really nowhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas