Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 12:58 AM

581 posts, read 924,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I don't think any of the current proposals are on anything but empty lots.
The point I'm making is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you have nothing but skyscrapers, then you won't have green space and the types of low rise development I posted. Houston does have some of that type of development, but it doesn't have near the potential that Dallas has concerning developing along streets that exist in vacuums. For example, the area along Ross Avenue between the Dallas Arts District downtown and Lower Greenville is really booming with development. The area along Gaston between downtown Dallas and Baylor Medical Center and then between Baylor Medical Center and Lakewood are also vacuums for developments. Lakewood never slowed during the recession. This vacuum also exists along Main Street from downtown Dallas, through Deep Ellum and then to Dallas Fair Park. Yet, all of this is just the east side of downtown.

The philosophy of what is density differs between Houston and Dallas. Houston is an anomaly the way its market must continue supplying its huge envery companes Having a lot of generic fifty story skyscrapers built for the giant oil companies in Houston

Old 09-02-2013, 01:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,080 times
You get a breathtaking view driving in from I-45 and seeing the Reunion Tower...

Old 09-02-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
How much does a skyline affect someone's quality of life?
How much does a skyline affect how much fun someone is able to have?
How much does a skyline affect how nice a city it?

Arguing skylines is pretty pointless, and you could not pick two cities that are more similar. The two largest metros in Texas separated by barely a few hundred miles. Houston and Dallas probably have more in common than any other two large metros in the rest of the country. Just let it go.
Actually, the two cities contrast. One is on the ocean, the other isn't. One has a seaport, the other has four major airports. One has always built lots of skyscrapers to support its oil businesses, the other builds lot of stores.

One is a well planned area, the other doesn't have zoning. One is flat, the other has hills.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:08 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
Actually, the two cities contrast. One is on the ocean, the other isn't. One has a seaport, the other has four major airports. One has always built lots of skyscrapers to support its oil businesses, the other builds lot of stores.

One is a well planned area, the other doesn't have zoning. One is flat, the other has hills.
You're missing the point. Even Mississippi and Alabama have their differences, but by in large they are extremely similar states.

I dare you to find me two American cities that have more in common than Dallas and Houston do.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
How much does a skyline affect someone's quality of life?
How much does a skyline affect how much fun someone is able to have?
How much does a skyline affect how nice a city it?

Arguing skylines is pretty pointless, and you could not pick two cities that are more similar. The two largest metros in Texas separated by barely a few hundred miles. Houston and Dallas probably have more in common than any other two large metros in the rest of the country. Just let it go.
In the grand scheme of things, it is pointless.... But so are sports.

Yet, people love having discussions about them and getting into stats and who's the better team or player. So why not? Just because you personally don't care for discussions like this doesn't mean NO ONE should have them. It's just one small convo on an open forum that makes a boring life just a little less dull. (And don't stress that "boring life" part. Just sayin'...)

The only discussions I feel that should never happen involve getting into other people's personal lives. Especially celebrities. Now THOSE are needless.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:10 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
You're missing the point. Even Mississippi and Alabama have their differences, but by in large they are extremely similar states.

I dare you to find me two American cities that have more in common than Dallas and Houston do.
Uh no! You are exaggerating. (Fellow Alabamian here)

Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Downtown Houston is booming:

List of projects currently under construction or soon to be
(Made by downtownian on HAIF)

Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Downtown Houston is booming:

List of projects currently under construction or soon to be
(Made by downtownian on HAIF)
Could you find out how many total hotel rooms are under construction? Thank you.

I'm surprised at how short the development list in downtown is actually. If this is true, it doesn't come close to matching the activity happening within the central core of Dallas. Of course, by central core, I mean the new developing downtown of Dallas which, as it stands presently, is still in a state of flux. I was reading an article that predicted in five years a total of 26,000 people living in the combined area of downtown Dallas and Uptown. This all depends on planned development actually getting built. Because of the size of the two markets, one can expect twice the numbers of hotels to be built in the inner core of Dallas than in the inner core of Houston.

Here is a list of why the central core of Dallas has so many hotels:

Southwestern Medical District
Dallas Market Center
Dallas Design District
Dallas Convention Center
Dallas Arts District
American Airlines Center
Largest collection of urban shopping centers (upscale) in the Southwest
The Dallas Fair Park and State Fair of Texas
New Terminal at Love Field along with lifting of flight regulations
60 million square feet of office space in the vicinity.

Downtown Houston should build more office buildings in square footage though.

Last edited by binkyman; 09-02-2013 at 01:30 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Atlanta and Dallas have far more in common than do Houston and Dallas. Market centers. Design centers. International airports. Distribution centers. The golden retail corridor of Preston Road and Peachtree. Downtown skylines that snake along in a linear fashion. Massive convention centers. Large hotels.

Houston is a one industry town of greasy oil and gas, lots of engineering firms, along with the world's hugest medical center, as well as a ustabee Nasa that has shrunk down from real manned space flights to remote controlling 700 million dollar roving tonkas toys on Mars.

Man, that was just about the easiest dare I ever did.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
Atlanta and Dallas have far more in common than do Houston and Dallas. Market centers. Design centers. International airports. Distribution centers. The golden retail corridor of Preston Road and Peachtree. Downtown skylines that snake along in a linear fashion. Massive convention centers. Large hotels.

Houston is a one industry town of greasy oil and gas, lots of engineering firms, along with the world's hugest medical center, as well as a ustabee Nasa that has shrunk down from real manned space flights to remote controlling 700 million dollar roving tonkas toys on Mars.

Man, that was just about the easiest dare I ever did.
They sure do.

They're the largest inland metros in the United States. Houston is a coastal city like its cosmopolitan peers.

Uptown Houston snakes along 610 in a linear fashion & is about the same size as Downtown Dallas & Downtown Atlanta. In fact, most 1st time visitors think Uptown Houston is its Downtown the buildings are so tall & the area is so large. Downtown Dallas' tallest building is the same size as Uptown Houston's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas