Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Good luck.
HA. we have three light rail lines under construction at the moment and unlike Dallas light rail lines, Houstons actually link MAJOR hubs which is why we have a higher ridership per mile. not to mention we have one of the best bus/HOV systems in the country. while our rail is behind, we have other modes of transportation that more than make up for it until we build our light rail system out to spec.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
While Houston hasn't had any "supertalls" since the 1980's, its had lots of 600, 500, 400, & 300 footers go up within the past decade. Most US cities would be lucky just to get one of those.
Well, Houston has had one 600+ footer go up in the last decade, as has Austin. Dallas hasn't had anything over 600 ft go up since the 80's, and in fact only had one building over 480 ft go up since 1988 (Museum Tower at 560').

Old 06-06-2013, 04:32 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
HA. we have three light rail lines under construction at the moment and unlike Dallas light rail lines, Houstons actually link MAJOR hubs which is why we have a higher ridership per mile. not to mention we have one of the best bus/HOV systems in the country. while our rail is behind, we have other modes of transportation that more than make up for it until we build our light rail system out to spec.
Let's see how the ridership will be when it's totally built out.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:34 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Well, Houston has had one 600+ footer go up in the last decade, as has Austin. Dallas hasn't had anything over 600 ft go up since the 80's, and in fact only had one building over 480 ft go up since 1988 (Museum Tower at 560').
Ok, a lot of the new construction in Dallas are low rise buildings, which help densify the urban core. I would rather have ten 200 ft buildings than two 600 ft buildings.

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-06-2013 at 04:46 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I bet the escalators at The Galleria have higher ridership per mile than MetroRail, though.

Light rail is a bit of a boondoggle, if you ask me. It's a toy for city boosters to market to selection committees of conventions and events. That's fine, as long as you understand the game and aren't hoping for a true rapid transit solution.

The bigger the system gets, the worse the service becomes. And the second it runs on the surface, it becomes a slow, inefficient street car.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Let's see how the ridership will be when it's totally built out.
It should drop, but not sink like a rock like DART.

You have to understand hun, Dart is a completely new implementation while metrorail was superimposed and replaces successful bus routes.

The east line replaces about ten eastern bus routes. buses run every five to ten minutes in that area. That route may be just as popular as the red line.
The north line replace the 56 and others such as the 102, 14, 9 etc. the 56 rank among the westheimer buses in terms of passengers carried. The 56 during peak run every ten minutes. Three 102 runs every 15 during peak, and is ridiculously packed during that time.

The southeast line replaces the 52, 5, 60, etc. ridership on the 52 has grown like crazy. Iike the 56 it carries tons of people and run frequently.

You have to understand too that the core of Houston is filled with amenities and metrorail is limited to an urban rail system. Dallas has fewer amenities in its core and DART is urban rail mixed with commuter length distances. Houston will never have those useless miles because it is a city only system. Not even city, but core of The city. When the commuter rails go in, they willnot affect ridership because it well be a different type of system. Anyway, yes our ridership will most likely dip, but no where near as bad as DART. Dallas should have had commuter rail to the burbs and kept the light rail to the core

Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Dallas has a much more interesting skyline with better building/architecture.
Houstons is slightly larger/taller but not significant to the average citizens eye.
In the grand scheme theyre about the same.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Houstons is slightly larger/taller but not significant to the average citizens eye.
im sorry, i thought you said Houstons skyline is SLIGHTLY larger/taller? i must have misread your post. 7 of the 10 tallest buildings in Texas are in Houston, and Houstons downtown has over twice as much square footage of office space as downtown Dallas.
while i agree many of the older buildings in Houston from the 70s-80s lack inspiration and Dallas has a few more stand out skyscrapers, thats partly due to the fact Dallas has about half as many skyscrapers to be competing with those pretty buildings. remove the bland skyscrapers in Houston and both cities would have much more comparable skylines in terms of size and stand out architecture.. then this would actually be a competition.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:34 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Ok, a lot of the new construction in Dallas are low rise buildings, which help densify the urban core. I would rather have ten 200 ft buildings than two 600 ft buildings.
I bet you would, but that's not how it is in reality.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Houston is a lot taller than Dallas. I noticed that my first time in Houston 13 years ago. I'll admit, its skyline even felt intimidating & overwhelming at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas