Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 09:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
you do realize every building in the foreground and to to the left in that picture of Dallas is UPTOWN Dallas, not downtown... and thats not the greatest representative picture of Houston. its like a decade old and taken from the north side where all the tall buildings are blocking the shorter buildings behind them.
believe me, i didnt go through pictures on the internet looking for the "puniest looking" pictures of Dallas.. i could have done better if that were the case.

i love how everyone pokes fun at Houstons parking lots.. i call them POTENTIAL. while Dallas may have less surface lots (though it might all come down to Houston just being the bigger city, automatically having that many more parking lots) it doesnt have nearly as much room for expansion. just imagine Houston in the future when the majority of these parking lots are filled with towers and parks. There will be no comparing the two cities. Dallas will be having to knock down old buildings in order to build new buildings on their plot, while Houstons downtown keeps filling in with more towers.
Don't get all homery! What a joke, try something new. That's a great pic of Houston, but that's all there is. That pic is 4 years old and Houston hasn't exactly been building much. I picked good pics of each. The difference between uptown Houston and uptown Dallas is that uptown Dallas is adjacent to downtown and is more of a branding then a real separation.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM

Once Dallas builds some taller building in uptown, dtD will look much larger than dtH

Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 PM

6,696 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Once Dallas builds some taller building in uptown, dtD will look much larger than dtH
I don't think Uptown can have taller buildings, because of the height restriction. I think The Tower at Cityplace will always be the tallest building in Uptown.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I don't think Uptown can have taller buildings, because of the height restriction. I think The Tower at Cityplace will always be the tallest building in Uptown.
There is still plans for one more 45 story building in uptown directly south of the MATA turntable. The developers of that plot are currently building a temporary restaurant there for the time being until the market warrants the start of construction. THe lease on the restaurant is 10 years.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 PM

That's ok too I'd rather see lots of density there and fill in downtown will make a huge difference

Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
In 10 years downtown and all the areas in the new extended bounderies of dt will be one big massive blob. And when they finally start construction on that 45 storey tower it will indeed be directly in the center of it.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Don't get all homery! What a joke, try something new. That's a great pic of Houston, but that's all there is. That pic is 4 years old and Houston hasn't exactly been building much. I picked good pics of each. The difference between uptown Houston and uptown Dallas is that uptown Dallas is adjacent to downtown and is more of a branding then a real separation.
it is a nice shot towards downtown, but if your trying to get good pictures of the skyline, thats not the greatest angle. if it is 4 years old, where is all the development around discovery green? forgive me for not seeing many of the newer buildings built over the last decade, but like i said thats a horrible angle where the majority of the skyline is being blocked by the wall of tall skyscrapers on the north side of downtown, so maybe the stuff around discogreen is actually present in the pictures, just hidden with the other side of downtown.

from that angle it looks like the downtown skyline consists of maybe 10-20 buildings. but from other angles like the south and east sides the shorter parts of downtown arent blocked from view.

this photo gives a sense of density that you would never get from that first photo. doesnt even look like the same city.

not the greatest picture but one i found that captures most of the skyline from the east side.

an arial view that actually does the skyline justice. most photos need to be taken from ground level to capture the boldness of the skyline.

Quote:
errr say what? a couple taller buildings in uptown arent going to suddenly double Dallas' skyline.. youve guys got a long ways to go before ever coming close to the size of DTH, and thats assuming Houston stops building to let you guys catch up..

besides, Dallaz mentioned that thing we call height restrictions in uptown, which downtown also has, so Dallas will never even have a supertall.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
it is a nice shot towards downtown, but if your trying to get good pictures of the skyline, thats not the greatest angle. if it is 4 years old, where is all the development around discovery green? forgive me for not seeing many of the newer buildings built over the last decade, but like i said thats a horrible angle where the majority of the skyline is being blocked by the wall of tall skyscrapers on the north side of downtown, so maybe the stuff around discogreen is actually present in the pictures, just hidden with the other side of downtown.

from that angle it looks like the downtown skyline consists of maybe 10-20 buildings. but from other angles like the south and east sides the shorter parts of downtown arent blocked from view.

this photo gives a sense of density that you would never get from that first photo. doesnt even look like the same city.

not the greatest picture but one i found that captures most of the skyline from the east side.

an arial view that actually does the skyline justice. most photos need to be taken from ground level to capture the boldness of the skyline.

errr say what? a couple taller buildings in uptown arent going to suddenly double Dallas' skyline.. youve guys got a long ways to go before ever coming close to the size of DTH, and thats assuming Houston stops building to let you guys catch up..

besides, Dallaz mentioned that thing we call height restrictions in uptown, which downtown also has, so Dallas will never even have a supertall.
Awesome post and pictures.

Plus 1000000000000000000000000000000000

I will post pics from UH central later. From there you see most of downtown.
The skyline district is on the west side so it everything east of it. Dallas buildings are not as organized into a skyline area. So there are clusters of the tallest buildings.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 PM

6,696 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
There is still plans for one more 45 story building in uptown directly south of the MATA turntable. The developers of that plot are currently building a temporary restaurant there for the time being until the market warrants the start of construction. THe lease on the restaurant is 10 years.
I know. That area was originally for the Tower at Cityplace twin tower. If a tower is built, it will be the same height as the Tower at Cityplace.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Awesome post and pictures.

Plus 1000000000000000000000000000000000

I will post pics from UH central later. From there you see most of downtown.
The skyline district is on the west side so it everything east of it. Dallas buildings are not as organized into a skyline area. So there are clusters of the tallest buildings.

, can you clap and stomp your feat any harder, yeahhhh!!

photos copyright, Bill Cobb. Welcome to SkylineScenes.com - City Skyline Pictures, Prints, Canvas, Digital Stock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas