Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,173,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Greenway Plaza is literally a stones throw from Rice Village & Montrose so sure, I'll take you up on it.

Id still like to see Las Colinas reach its potential, theres still so much development potential there. Thats one thing we can agree on about the Woodlands, its fairly compact...

Old 06-14-2013, 04:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,086,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Id still like to see Las Colinas reach its potential, theres still so much development potential there. Thats one thing we can agree on about the Woodlands, its fairly compact...
I like Las Colinas. I once had a friend that lived in a multi story apartment smack dab in the CBD. When Highway 114's new construction is finally complete & DART connects with Las Colinas' existing rail it will be the nice little thriving urban center it was originally meant to be.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 PM

420 posts, read 709,073 times
Y'all crack me up with all this skyline stuff. It takes more than office space and a few boring glass buildings to create a true urban experience. The Woodlands is full of masterplanned communities and strip malls with Office Maxes and Chili's. There's nothing remotely urban about it at this point. Same goes for Las Colinas and Greenway. Downtown Ft. Worth is actually urban.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,583,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No, Houston is not NYC compared to Dallas's Vancouver.
And you are right on, Houston has "lots of boring boxy buildings that are cheap to build"
i didnt mean Houston was NYC compared to Dallas Vancouver. Toronto (Houston) to Vancouver (Dallas) might be a better comparison, but that wasnt supposed to be the point. and by "we end up with lots of boring boxes" i was referring to everyone that actually cares about skyscrapers no matter where theyre from.. all cities have lots of boring boxes, including yours truely, Dallas, like i already pointed out a few pages back.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,067,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Greenway Plaza is literally a stones throw from Rice Village & Montrose so sure, I'll take you up on it.
And Highland Village and River Oaks.

I don't think the poster has seen all the new hi rise and mid rise residences that has gone up around greenest

Old 06-14-2013, 05:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,155,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah, when i read dalparadise post i immediately thought he had not been here in a decade
I've been there more recently than that, but I just don't think of "skyline" when I see The Woodlands and I'm not sure why anyone would want to. By "out of place" I was referring to how there is no reason a all to put a building the size of Anadarko I the middle of a forest, looking down on single family homes. It's the antithesis of smart urban planning and it contributes to factors that make the Houston area less visually attractive.

I'll agree that The Woodlands "skyline" compares to Las Colinas, which is an office park.

The Woodlands is a nice area to live. The amenities are better than Chili's and Olive Garden, too. The concert venue, Main St. Development, integration of the forest into the streetscape, etc. are all things that make it appealing. Its notion of building a "skyline" to a corporate ego does nothing to improve it. In fact, it diminishes it to a huge degree.

The Woodlands' analogue in the Bay Area is Walnut Creek. No skyline here, but much more high end shopping and real semi-urban development, linked to the urban centers by mass transit, while remaining respectful of its beautiful natural surroundings. The Woodlands should take notes:

Walnut Creek, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by dalparadise; 06-14-2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I've been there more recently than that, but I just don't think of "skyline" when I see The Woodlands and I'm not sure why anyone would want to. By "out of place" I was referring to how there is no reason a all to put a building the size of Anadarko I the middle of a forest, looking down on single family homes. It's the antithesis of smart urban planning and it contributes to factors that make the Houston area less visually attractive.

I'll agree that The Woodlands "skyline" compares to Las Colinas, which is an office park.

The Woodlands is a nice area to live. The amenities are better Chili's and Olive Garden, too. The concert venue, Main St. Development, integration of the forest into the streetscape, etc. are all things that make it appealing. Its notion of building a "skyline" to a corporate ego does nothing to improve it. In fact, it diminishes it to a huge degree.

The Woodlands' analogue in the Bay Area is Walnut Creek. No skyline here, but much more high end shopping and real semi-urban development, linked to the urban centers by mass transit, while remaining respectful of its beautiful natural surroundings. The Woodlands should take notes:

Walnut Creek, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't know about all that, you heard me say all that? I was responding to your comment about TW being one building. Fact is, if you think TW is one tall building then you indeed have not been there in a while.

Finally, I don't give a crap about where it compares to. You guys like grasping straws when caught up in an exaggeration. I never mention where it was comparable to so why write me back an essay telling me about so and so. I am talking about TW and TW only and I am calling your butt out on that one building comment. Ditch the interactions and respond directly to that. I don't give a damn about Las Colinas where this conversation is concerned

Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I don't know about all that, you heard me say all that? I was responding to your comment about TW being one building. Fact is, if you think TW is one tall building then you indeed have not been there in a while.

Finally, I don't give a crap about where it compares to. You guys like grasping straws when caught up in an exaggeration. I never mention where it was comparable to so why write me back an essay telling me about so and so. I am talking about TW and TW only and I am calling your butt out on that one building comment. Ditch the interactions and respond directly to that. I don't give a damn about Las Colinas where this conversation is concerned
Breathe, dude. I was trying to respond to the whole conversation, not just you. I've seen the buildings in The Woodlands i know that there's more than just one building. I was trying to elaborate on my answer. I think it's a shame that they built Anadarko.

I apologize for not being clear in my last response.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:44 PM

Just as long as you five refer to TW as one tall building

Old 06-14-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Just as long as you five refer to TW as one tall building
I never said "one building". In fact, I listed others in my first reply, including midrise hotels. I do admit that when I mentioned "3-4 story office-campus style buildings," I understated the 5-6 story ones that are there. Cool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas