Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 04:12 PM

9,221 posts, read 16,007,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
With all due respect, this sounds like a bunch of excuses. You can be an apologist for Dallas and Houston if you want, but the fact is they have shamefully dated skylines. None of the older towers like NYC, Philly, or Chicago; and no signature towers built after the 80's. The infill that is happening is good, but unremarkable -- during the same time the small amount of infill has happened, a HUGE amount of cheap, suburban sprawl has been allowed to occur.
This has happened all over the US and not just in Houston and Dallas.

Quote:
Bottom line, MONEY is the reason you haven't seen a 650+ ft tower built in Texas in 20 years. And the ONE 650ft+ skyscraper currently under construction in Texas isn't in even Dallas or Houston.

Houston and Dallas have been building on the cheap, I suppose because the demand in their CBD doesn't warrant the kind of rents or purchase prices it takes to build a tall skyscraper. All the while it has only become more expensive to build tall, something that will probably guarantee that the look of Dallas and Houston skylines will remain largely the same.
I won't speak for Dallas, but Houston goes on the market. It has some of the lowest CBD vacancies in the country (Austin and Dallas are the opposite). Also, why build a tower over 650 feet when you can build two for 300 or so? I'd much rather have two 500 foot towers than a 1000 foot tower.

Quote:
You are correct, our little skyline here is VERY new. I'm pretty sure Austin leads any other city in Texas in terms of 500+ footers, 40+ story buildings and 50+ story buildings u/c or built since 2002, and of course the tallest building under construction in Texas in 20 years. I'm not saying that makes Austin's skyline anywhere in the league of H-Town or Dallas; I'm just saying it shows both those big cities have been stagnating in terms of their real skylines. That's largely why those two cities skylines are more similar than different, really.
Austin is just now trying to get where Houston and Dallas were over 20 years ago. Austin's skyline, with all that is proposed and under construction, really only matches Uptown Houston and a MAYBE at that. Uptown Houston has a tower taller than anything in Austin. Good luck filling those condos in Austin though. Last thing I heard was that they are sitting vacant.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:12 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,087,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Good luck filling those condos in Austin though. Last thing I heard was that they are sitting vacant.
Could Austin become the next Miami?

Old 02-15-2009, 05:54 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,944,871 times
Quote:
This has happened all over the US and not just in Houston and Dallas.
Again: look at Philly, Cleveland, Charlotte, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Miami... I could go on. All over the country cities have built signature tall buildings since the 80's that have made big impacts on their skylines. Dallas and Houston have not. That's really my only point, that although they are impressive the skylines are more similar than different -- both are very much defined by their signature buildings built in the 1980s.

Quote:
I won't speak for Dallas, but Houston goes on the market. It has some of the lowest CBD vacancies in the country (Austin and Dallas are the opposite). Also, why build a tower over 650 feet when you can build two for 300 or so? I'd much rather have two 500 foot towers than a 1000 foot tower.
The only reason for building two 300 foot towers vs. one 650 foot one is money. Period. Land cost, development cost, etc. I'd rather have a 300 foot tower than a parking lot, sure, but two 300 footers vs a 650? Nope. I'd take the higher density per land use -- discourages sprawl, more "green", and makes a visual impact for the CBD.

Quote:
Austin is just now trying to get where Houston and Dallas were over 20 years ago. Austin's skyline, with all that is proposed and under construction, really only matches Uptown Houston and a MAYBE at that. Uptown Houston has a tower taller than anything in Austin. Good luck filling those condos in Austin though. Last thing I heard was that they are sitting vacant.
I only mentioned Austin because it was brought up by Metro Matt. You could really substitute most any decent size city (see above) and observe that tall, skyline-changing skyscrapers have been built since the 80's in many places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt
Could Austin become the next Miami?
You never know. Maybe. We are building a lot of condos.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,087,750 times
My final response to this thread is Houston skyline by day & Dallas skyline by night.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 AM

20,544 posts, read 33,705,678 times
Quote:
Hell, there is a new 500 footer just down the freeway from my house in Houston in the Memorial City area.
that's one thing I don't really care for. Skyscrapers plopping up around the city. I like a certain vincinity of skyscrapers in an area. That's one of two things I wish Houston did not do so much.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
that's one thing I don't really care for. Skyscrapers plopping up around the city. I like a certain vincinity of skyscrapers in an area. That's one of two things I wish Houston did not do so much.
Uh, if you have seen Memorial City these past three or so years, you'd know it's not just a random place. You have City Centre, Memorial Hermann's complex before the new 500 footer, a new Westin Hotel, some new condominiums and office towers, plus, you have Westchase just down Beltway 8.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,884,593 times
The World's Tallest Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate

World's Top 10 Tallest Downtowns
1. NYC
2. Hong Kong
3. Dubai
4. Shanghai
5. Chicago
6. Shenzhen
7. Tokyo
8. Houston
9. Singapore
10. Los Angeles

Houston being in the top ten in the world is pretty impressive.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,291,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston also has the 3rd tallest US skyline after Chicago.
I don't think we can make that claim anymore. Miami overtook us last year!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:53 PM

But we took it back!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:16 PM

20,544 posts, read 33,705,678 times
Quote:
Uh, if you have seen Memorial City these past three or so years, you'd know it's not just a random place. You have City Centre, Memorial Hermann's complex before the new 500 footer, a new Westin Hotel, some new condominiums and office towers, plus, you have Westchase just down Beltway 8.
That is miles away from the city center. You can describe three other districts around the city of Houston as well and that does not interest me. This is why I prefer Chicago, New York, and San Francisco skyline over Houston's. I'd rather that be in downtown. Just my preference though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas