Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM

328 posts, read 471,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Lets face it, Dallasites deep in their hearts are jealous of Arlington getting the new stadium. It would've worked out much better IN the City of Dallas or even in Irving/Las Colinas again. Arlington just got lucky with all the tax breaks & incentives that lured Jerry World there & now the fine people of the city are having to pay for it.
We're no more envious of Arlington for having Cowboys stadium than we are envious of Fort Worth for having the Kimbell Art Museum, the Texas Motor Speedway, or better barbecue.

Besides, for the money Jerry got a whole lot more bang for the buck in Arlington than he ever would have in downtown Dallas.

That's the beauty of the Dallas/Fort Worth area. There is a myriad of attractions from one end to the other: art museums, symphonies, performance halls, sporting venues, shopping, parks, lakes, nature opportunities, restaurants, movie theaters both large and independent, and the list goes on and on.

I guess that's why the area is getting closer to 7 million people residents every day.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:34 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
You should visit Houston, a lot has changed since the 80s.....
And it has changed a lot more than Dallas, has, i assure you.

Let's go down the list....
Just since 2000, and just constructions, not renovations, expansions, conversions, or garages. Houston would have a ton of those...

MainPlace 46 stories|630 ft. (u/c)
1500 Louisiana 40 stories|600 ft
Reliant Energy Plaza 36 stories|518 ft.
One Park Place 37 stories|501 ft.
Hess Tower 29 stories|490 ft. (u/c)
717 Texas 34 stories|453 ft.
Hilton Americas Hotel 24 stories
Embassy Suites Hotel 19 stories (u/c)
Harris County Civil Justice Center 18 stories|378 ft.
5 Houston Center 27 stories| 376 ft.
Metro Admin. Bldng. 14 stories

Other Developments:
Houston Pavilions
Discovery Green
Minute Maid Park
Toyota Center
Downtown Aquarium
MetroRail Line
Hobby Center for the Performing Arts
Houston Ballet Center (u/c)
Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral(12 story bell tower)
South Texas College of Law-Library (6 stories)
UH-Downtown Academic Bldng.(128,000 sq. ft)
UH-D, 4 story bldng.
Holiday Inn-Express
Communication Workers of America Union Hall(3 stories)
Main St. Square
Fire Super Station

What about Downtown Dallas?
So all of this is in Downtown Houston!?!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Yep

Old 01-07-2010, 04:25 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Quote:
Yeah, and i chose not to include conversions of office buildings into residential or hotels, expansions, renovations, or parking garages. Otherwise that list might've been twice as long.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Still, Houston's 10th tallest - One Shell Plaza is the same height as Dallas' 2nd tallest - Renaissance Tower, to the roof lines. When OSP's antenna is included at a dizzying 1,000 ft. in height, its taller than Dallas' 1st tallest - Bank of America Plaza at 920 ft. by 80 ft.
Why do you always got to compete in everything? Everyone in Texas know that Houston has the biggest and tallest skyline in Texas! Dallas doesn't need alot of skyscrapers! Metro Matt a tall skyline doesn't define a city. What if the economy tanked? All those buildings would be vacant! I might be wrong ,but it seem like Houston is just building for the heck of it. One thing Dallas does well is think things through. Dallas would not build anything unless it will benefit Dallas or the Metroplex! Yes, Dallas only have one building over 900 ft some cities don't even have that! Some people on this thread act like Dallas is in another state! I am tired of people bashing Dallas!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Why do you always got to compete in everything? Everyone in Texas know that Houston has the biggest and tallest skyline in Texas! Dallas doesn't need alot of skyscrapers! Metro Matt a tall skyline doesn't define a city. What if the economy tanked? All those buildings would be vacant! I might be wrong ,but it seem like Houston is just building for the heck of it. One thing Dallas does well is think things through. Dallas would not build anything unless it will benefit Dallas or the Metroplex! Yes, Dallas only have one building over 900 ft some cities don't even have that! Some people on this thread act like Dallas is in another state! I am tired of people bashing Dallas!
You see Ladarron, Houston's economy isn't going to go anywhere, but up & won't tank anytime soon...maybe never (knock on wood) especially with the new technologies being invested in renewable energy (wind & solar) natural gas, etc. Not to mention the HUGE amount of medical facilities/institutions (largest in the world). The Port of Houston ranks 1st in the US for foreign tonnage, 2nd overall (both imports & exports), & is the 10th busiest seaport in the world!

Houston builds its tall buildings because its necessary. Class A office space in Downtown Houston is at full capacity & has been for several years now...too bad Dallas can't say the same thing. We learned a lot from the collapse of Enron & are benefiting greatly from it.

Thanks for caring.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Quote:
What if the economy tanked?? Greater Houston's economy is extremely diverse, even more so than the city.

And Houston doesn't build for the heck of it, were not Miami. (No offense, Floridians) If i recall correctly, Downtown Dallas has higher vacancy rated than Downtown Houston.

Office Buildings constructed since 2008.
Houston Pavilions office portion is leased 100%(although the retail portion is in not in the same state), Hess Tower is leased 100%, and i think Main Place is less than 1/4 leased, but its a lot bigger.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
You see Ladarron, Houston's economy isn't going to go anywhere, but up & won't tank anytime soon...maybe never (knock on wood) especially with the new technologies being invested in renewable energy (wind & solar) natural gas, etc. Not to mention the HUGE amount of medical facilities/institutions (largest in the world). The Port of Houston ranks 1st in the US for foreign tonnage, 2nd overall (both imports & exports), & is the 10th busiest seaport in the world!

Houston builds its tall buildings because its necessary. Class A office space in Downtown Houston is at full capacity & has been for several years now...too bad Dallas can't say the same thing. We learned a lot from the collapse of Enron & are benefiting greatly from it.

Thanks for caring.
It can happen!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
What if the economy tanked?? Greater Houston's economy is extremely diverse, even more so than the city.

And Houston doesn't build for the heck of it, were not Miami. (No offense, Floridians) If i recall correctly, Downtown Dallas has higher vacancy rated than Downtown Houston.

Office Buildings constructed since 2008.
Houston Pavilions office portion is leased 100%(although the retail portion is in not in the same state), Hess Tower is leased 100%, and i think Main Place is less than 1/4 leased, but its a lot bigger.
Ok! The United States economy is too! It tanked too!

Last edited by ladarron; 01-07-2010 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM

457 posts, read 904,787 times
Quote:

Thanks for caring.

MM, you are not fooling anyone. Houston's Class A downtown office occupancy in Q3 09 was at 91.5%, rents are down, net-absorption is down, and city-wide occupancy is down. Source: Bizjournals (http://networking.bizjournals.com/post/Coy4/blog/colliers_market_report_3q_09_houston_office_market _challenge.html - broken link).

Now, these numbers are not bad considering we are in a recession, and they are better than Dallas. But I have to ask, do you conduct even the most basic research before making such easily refutable claims? I understand you are a Houston-homer, but can you at least try to post accurate information? This site is called City-Data, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas