Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,785,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The whole better shopping topic is lame to me because it usually turns into which one has the most upscale stores; as if we all shop at those type of places.

I think both offer great shopping when it comes to shopping for what I need.
You are right!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,291,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York, Saks Fifth Avenue I can go on and on!
And Houston doesn't have Nieman Marcus and Saks stores in the galleria? Am I missing something?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 AM

457 posts, read 908,694 times
Skylines...

Old 01-13-2010, 02:21 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,086,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If you haven't guessed, Matt does not like Dallas.
Coming from someone who has lived in & spends a significant amount of time in both cities, my preference at the end of the day is Houston. I like Dallas, but I love Houston. I could list everything that is different between the two & that I find to be more attractive as a city, but that would be pointless, especially to you, Lakewooder.

If I HAD to live in the Metroplex area again, I'd pick Fort Worth over Dallas in a heart beat. As a matter of fact, as I'm typing this I'm in Denton right now.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,785,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Coming from someone who has lived in & spends a significant amount of time in both cities, my preference at the end of the day is Houston. I like Dallas, but I love Houston. I could list everything that is different between the two & that I find to be more attractive as a city, but that would be pointless, especially to you, Lakewooder.

If I HAD to live in the Metroplex area again, I'd pick Fort Worth over Dallas in a heart beat. As a matter of fact, as I'm typing this I'm in Denton right now.
You would choose Ft.Worth over Dallas because you simply HATE Dallas!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Im not sure about that. What it does seem is that whenever comparing Dallas or DFW and Houston, Houston will always have more of whatever it is even if its a bad thing.

I seem to recall a thread where he was touting how many more prostitutes Houston has than DFW.
Correction

How many more massage parlors & Adult oriented businesses Houston has which is true.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I do. Houston's density inside the loop is the densest in the state which is over 5,000 ppsm. Plus all 3 of Houston's sports stadiums and the awaiting Dynamo Stadium are all located within the 610 loop. Dallas has only one. You have to go to other parts of the metroplex as with the case with the new cowboys stadium in Arlington.

Houston's downtown, while probably not to the point of San antonio or fort Worth yet is showing great signs from the recent developments of the new Discovery Green Park and all the surrounding developments popping up on that side of town. Houston Pavilions is starting to show promising signs as it continues to open more stores. All within the 610 loop, you have the museum district, Theater District, Montrose, Kirby district, Greenway, Rice area, TMC, and the Uptown/ Galleria area is a stone's throw away.

Not taking anything away from Dallas. Dallas is a great city. But let's face it, Dallas's comes out strongest by the suburban make-ups. I mean Dallas needs Fort Worth and the surrounding cities to be able to compete as a major player. Again, not saying anything is wrong with that. It's just the way it is. Dallas was fortunate to be so close to another major U.S. city only 30 miles away.
However fortunate or unfortunate this is very true.

Just like New York City has New Jersey, Minneapolis has St. Paul, San Francisco has Oakland, Los Angeles has Long Beach, etc.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 PM

17 posts, read 42,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
However fortunate or unfortunate this is very true.

Just like New York City has New Jersey, Minneapolis has St. Paul, San Francisco has Oakland, Los Angeles has Long Beach, etc.
I dont understand this logic. Facts are facts, Dallas is larger than Houston, anyone that measures city only has not traveled out of the US!

If we were only measuring city limit population/specifics, you could not cross LBJ/635 and other "lines" and be considered part of the city(Dallas).

Dont make excuses about your city or anyone elses for that matter. It is what it is, whatever the reason for any city to grow where it did. If you go back two hundred(however long)years and someone settled where a current city is and then someone settled another city only a few miles away and today make a large urban area, then I would look back and be happy and feel fortunate for cities like Dallas and Minneapolis. The areas gave something that caused them to grow that way.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:56 AM

659 posts, read 1,381,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade4567 View Post
I dont understand this logic. Facts are facts, Dallas is larger than Houston
No, DFW is larger than Greater Houston. Greater Houston's GDP is in fact a bit larger than DFW's and is arguably a more important metro due to the port, petro chemical complex and medical institutions.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 AM

7,743 posts, read 12,681,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
I personally think Houston's skyline is by far the best in Texas, and amongst the best in America. I am interested in other peoples opinions.
I wouldn't say Houston's is among the best in America. I mean really? Let's keep it 100 in 2010. But I would say it's definitely 100x better than Dallas' skyline. Dallas was so small when I first saw it! I was like, wait, is that it? This is Dallas? I had always thought Dallas was this HUGE city when I was younger. I guess I was imagining things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas