Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 07:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,183,772 times

Advertisements

Victory Park, Arts District, Uptown, The Cedars/Southside, Bishop Arts, Fort Worth Avenue, Design District, Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs, West Village, Knox-Henderson, Mockingbird Station, Park Lane/North Park, Lower Greenville, East Dallas/Lakewoood, Deep Ellum/Expo Park, Fair Park. Hardly a suburban mentality.

Compare and contrast that with Houston.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,013,981 times
You can pretty much scratch Victory Park off that list. Its a ghost town when the Stars or Mavs aren't playing.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 PM

882 posts, read 2,247,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Victory Park, Arts District, Uptown, The Cedars/Southside, Bishop Arts, Fort Worth Avenue, Design District, Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs, West Village, Knox-Henderson, Mockingbird Station, Park Lane/North Park, Lower Greenville, East Dallas/Lakewoood, Deep Ellum/Expo Park, Fair Park. Hardly a suburban mentality.

Compare and contrast that with Houston.
For those of us who don't know all those neighborhoods well enough, you might want to give a short summary for some of them.

But, ill throw these out for Houston, just don't know if they'll match with Dallas neighborhoods.

-Theater District
-Museum District
-Texas Medical Center
-Montrose
-The Heights
-Midtown
-The East End
-Upper Kirby
-River Oaks
-Westchase
-Midtown
-Neartown
-Uptown
-Reliant Park
-East Downtown
-Chinatown
-Energy Corridor

Like i said, i wouldn't know which neighborhoods to mention, if i dont know what some of the ones you mentioned are made up of, or what purpose they serve, or what kind of people live there.

*I thought Victory Park was Uptown, or a big part of it. I was under the impression that it was of a similar stature of the Galleria in Uptown, where the 2 are associated with the same thing.

Don't know how these "urban" localities have anything to do with a skyline comparison though.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
*I thought Victory Park was Uptown, or a big part of it.
It is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Don't know how these "urban" localities have anything to do with a skyline comparison though.
They don't. Lakewooder is just trying to cover up for me mentioning Downtown Dallas' high office vacancy rate compared to Houston's by listing other semi-urban areas scattered about the city.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 PM

457 posts, read 905,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It really doesn't matter what you, Dallascaper considers to be "full" Class A office space. What does matter, is the developers with billions of dollars of their own money on the line who are building these towers in Downtown Houston. Companies from all over the world are recognizing Houston as a great city with an excellent economic climate (especially in this recession) & one with a prosperous future ahead.
If it doesn't matter, why did you bring it up in the first place? Anyway...

Do you write brochures for Houston? I could almost hear the trumpets playing as I read your spiel.

Safe to say, developers and governments have spent a great deal of money in both Dallas and Houston in recent years, and they continue to do so. Good news for Texas.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:

They don't. Lakewooder is just trying to cover up for Downtown Dallas' high office vacancy rate compared to Houston's by mentioning other semi-urban areas scattered about the city.

Whatever. Just remember, every time a Houstonite mentions TMC an angel has his wings ripped off.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 PM

965 posts, read 1,887,589 times
Quote:
It is.

They don't. Lakewooder is just trying to cover up for me mentioning Downtown Dallas' high office vacancy rate compared to Houston's by listing other semi-urban areas scattered about the city.
Exactly. I see no one exactly disputed or disproved my obeservations on DT Dallas or the high vacancy rate, which is pretty sad for the 8th-Largest city in the nation. Deep down, they know the truth and can't stand to have it thrown at them.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 AM

Back on topic, this is as good as it get in Texas:

Photo by Maconahey, CLICK HERE (http://www.flickr.com/photos/maconahey/4241767958/sizes/o/ - broken link)for full size:

Old 01-09-2010, 10:37 AM

Psshh

Photographer: Kevin Boydston

Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,769,187 times
Why does it seem like almost everyone on this thread hate Dallas! You guys try to always find something bad to say. You think we don't know Downtown Dallas is Dead! You guys try to blow up stuff in our face like we don't know what is going on! We already know that Houston has the tallest buildings in Texas! So what is the point of you bringing it up all the time! You don't hear us saying we have the largest light rail system in the state! Some people can't except the fact that the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is the largest metro in the state! I am tried of people bashing Dallas! I wish we all could get along.............LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas