Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,395,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I've got to be honest, and I know I'm going to get hated on for saying this, but that was very underwhelming. Admittedly my favorite part of the design is the bottom of the deck, which hardly anyone ever sees. I love Calatravas work but I'm glad Houston didn't shell out almost 200 million for an 1,800' long bridge that's used by only 20,000 vehicles a day. Houston has a similar "signature" bridge (the Fred Hartman ship channel bridge), but it's over two and a half miles long, was over 65 million dollars cheaper to construct, has over 50,000 vehicles cross if a day (that number will grow when the grand parkway is complete), is an innovative design (and the longest span like it in the state), and has pylons that are 36' taller than the 400' arch on the Margaret hunt hill bridge. I bet you guys didn't realize Houston not only takes the cake with tallest buildings, but also tallest bridge.

Hartman Bridge is not in Houston. That would be Baytown and La Porte.

Houston doesn't have a signature bridge.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:25 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,796,882 times
Quote:
I've got to be honest, and I know I'm going to get hated on for saying this, but that was very underwhelming. Admittedly my favorite part of the design is the bottom of the deck, which hardly anyone ever sees. I love Calatravas work but I'm glad Houston didn't shell out almost 200 million for an 1,800' long bridge that's used by only 20,000 vehicles a day. Houston has a similar "signature" bridge (the Fred Hartman ship channel bridge), but it's over two and a half miles long, was over 65 million dollars cheaper to construct, has over 50,000 vehicles cross if a day (that number will grow when the grand parkway is complete), is an innovative design (and the longest span like it in the state), and has pylons that are 36' taller than the 400' arch on the Margaret hunt hill bridge. I bet you guys didn't realize Houston not only takes the cake with tallest buildings, but also tallest bridge.
That's the thing though, Dallasites aren't hating on any Houston bridge and quite frankly they could care less. I say this because although I'm aware of of the Hartman bridge, I'm pretty sure most Dallasite's don't pay much attention to Houston area bridges.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,581,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Hartman Bridge is not in Houston. That would be Baytown and La Porte.

Houston doesn't have a signature bridge.
smhhh.. when i said Houston i meant H-O-U-S-T-O-N... just as when most of you say Dallas your actually referring to DFW.

btw, Houston (the city) doesnt have signature bridges?

they will look even nicer when the new LED lighting is installed on the arches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
That's the thing though, Dallasites aren't hating on any Houston bridge and quite frankly they could care less. I say this because although I'm aware of of the Hartman bridge, I'm pretty sure most Dallasite's don't pay much attention to Houston area bridges.
of course they arent. there is nothing to hate on about the Houston bridge. it was built at a reasonable cost, is unique, and we never hyped it up like its the best thing since sliced bread. i can guarentee you if there were half as many press releases and publicity surrounding the Houston bridge when it first opened as their were the Dallas bridge, plenty of Dallasites would of raised an eyebrow or two.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,796,882 times
Quote:
smhhh.. when i said Houston i meant H-O-U-S-T-O-N... just as when most of you say Dallas your actually referring to DFW.

of course they arent. there is nothing to hate on about the Houston bridge. it was built at a reasonable cost, is unique, and we never hyped it up like its the best thing since sliced bread. i can guarentee you if there were half as many press releases and publicity surrounding the Houston bridge when it first opened as their were the Dallas bridge, plenty of Dallasites would of raised an eyebrow or two.
The only people that are giving the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge any publicity are Houston homers. Dallas got over it a long time ago. Houston homers...still haven't let go.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
The only people that are giving the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge any publicity are Houston homers. Dallas got over it a long time ago. Houston homers...still haven't let go.
TBH i have no idea who originally brought the bridge up into this discussion.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:57 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,487,896 times
Well the second one is under construction now so it'll be even better when Its built. When all the development is done in west Dallas and the two lakes are put up under the bridges you Houstonians wont have anything to say then...time: cures everything. Look at London with the Eiffel Tower,they hated it at first now its an icon out of this world.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:00 PM

16,518 posts, read 26,453,911 times
Quote:
Some people just lack comprehension skills. A river, is a river, is a river, is a river! No matter the width, it still has to be crossed by pedestrians or vehicles. Your not going to force your citizens to swim if they want to get to the other side. Why not cross it on a bridge with style.
To be honest. I've always liked the way the bridge compliments the skyline but after seeing that picture...

What the heck is the point? It looks stupid from above, does it look that bad when crossing it?
Quote:

Those aren't signature bridges.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
To be honest. I've always liked the way the bridge compliments the skyline but after seeing that picture...

What the heck is the point? It looks stupid from above, does it look that bad when crossing it?

Those aren't signature bridges.
Agree with most everything up until you said the Montrose bridges weren't signature bridges.. They are indeed signature bridges that are iconic to that stretch of 59/69. They just aren't tall signature bridges.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:07 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,790,780 times
They are a nice addition, but far from unique. Faaaaar from unique.

…that style is one-in-a-million:

Old 12-14-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
They are nice, but far from unique.

…that style is one-in-a-million:
i never said it was a one off design or unique. i said they are unique to that area. whats so innovative/groundbreaking about a central arch with a bunch of cables coming off of it?
there arent any bridges like the Montrose bridges anywhere else in the Houston area that i can recall. they help connect the eclectic areas of Montrose and the Museum District, and do so with a style thats not too subtle, but not too pretentious/over the top either like the MHH.

i guess we can agree to disagree on the definition of a signature bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas