Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 09:33 PM

297 posts, read 476,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
who said Dallas was on par with Houston? the Dallas vs Houston rivalry is a giant pissing match.. that is why this thread is so long. if you hadnt noticed, most of the thread is a bunch of side tracked off topic crap like many of the posts over the past week or so. not debating wether Dallas' skyline is better than Houstons (we all know the answer to that). Houston is in a class between Dallas and Chicago, so its not appropriate to compare it to Chicago. otherwise one might as well compare Houston to NYC. there are however, plenty of Houston vs (insert comparable skyline here) threads in the other subforums of this website, but since this is the TEXAS subforum, someone (whose allegiance clearly resides with NYC, not Houston, i might point out..) decided to make a Texas themed skyscraper Vs thread, and Houston and Dallas have the larger skylines in Texas so those were the two that were chosen. You do realize there are Houston vs LA and Houston vs Miami skyline threads, right? i agree, they are way better comparisons in terms of skylines than Houston vs Dallas.
as for Houston having "a couple of taller buildings than Dallas. Thats it.", lmao. you do realize that 7 of the 10 tallest buildings in Texas are in Houston? only 2 in the top 10 are in Dallas. i could see where your coming from with the "thats it" part, uptown and downtown Dallas (the majority of Dallas' highrise concentrations) is fairly close to downtown Houstons size, but Houston still has Uptown, the Texas Medical Center, Greenway, the Energy Corridor, Memorial City, The Woodlands, and a few other skylines to add into the mix. with all of those additional skylines, Houston has almost 200 more high rises than Dallas.
Dallas is hardly "holding its own" to Houston. it might be holding its own against downtown Houston, but thats about it. those numbers are hardly pathetic. as has been pointed out numerous times, DFW and Houston are practically the same size and density. if Dallas were able to annex the amount of land Houston annexed, the cities would be very comparable. which leads me to my next point.. since the Dallas area (DFW) and Houston are practically comparable, dont you think DFWs skyscraper numbers are pathetic? (see how that works?) DFW isnt even close to competing with the Houston metro in terms of skylines and number of high rises and DFW is the bigger metro.
I agree with you on that. I researched awhile back, and it's true. Houston has more towers than the DFW.

But... DALLAS STILL HAS THE BEST SKYLINE.

OMG, it's SOOOOO Pretty ! Driving South on the I-35 into Downtown ,
and then taking the Houston Exit (Woodall Rodgers freeway) and driving down the center
is awesome. People actually slow-down to take it all in.

I didn't feel that in Houston.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
I seen that. In that Bank of America lot, next to the Woodall Rodgers freeway.

I want to see that happen.
I really hope nothing significantly tall gets built there. It would block Fountain Place.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
And BTW Houston is nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE near Chicago. Houston and Dallas are comparable. Does anyone down in Houston travel and visit other cities?
I never said Houston was near Chicago, just as I never said that guy wasn't from Houston.. I did say Houston was in between Dallas and Chicago, because it is in the second tier when it comes to US skylines, along with LA and Miami. Dallas would be in the third tier with cities like Boston and Philly.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:53 PM

286 posts, read 406,758 times
Quote:
I never said Houston was near Chicago, just as I never said that guy wasn't from Houston.. I did say Houston was in between Dallas and Chicago, because it is in the second tier when it comes to US skylines, along with LA and Miami. Dallas would be in the third tier with cities like Boston and Philly.
If that makes you feel better, have at it...

Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
I agree with you on that. I researched awhile back, and it's true. Houston has more towers than the DFW.

But... DALLAS STILL HAS THE BEST SKYLINE.

OMG, it's SOOOOO Pretty ! Driving South on the I-35 into Downtown ,
and then taking the Houston Exit (Woodall Rodgers freeway) and driving down the center
is awesome. People actually slow-down to take it all in.

I didn't feel that in Houston.
I feel that in Houston, only more so coming into downtown on I-45 both south bound & north bound. No other view like it in Texas or the South for that matter. Its a pure adrenaline rush.

Also, there's no other view like approaching the Galleria from the south seeing Williams Tower pop up in the distance over 610. It looks & feels like Chicago seeing the Sears Tower for the first time in person its that dominating.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:46 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
And BTW Houston is nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE near Chicago. Houston and Dallas are comparable. Does anyone down in Houston travel and visit other cities?
No...because United ditched Houston for Chicago!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
No...because United ditched Houston for Chicago!
who flies United anyways? do we really have to bring up airports again.. Bush > DFW for international flights. DFW > Bush for regional/national flights.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
who flies United anyways? do we really have to bring up airports again.. Bush > DFW for international flights. DFW > Bush for regional/national flights.
Houston has 2 international airports now. Southwest, a Dallas based carrier chose Hobby as its first airport to fly outside the continental US.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:18 PM

297 posts, read 476,146 times
Quote:
I really hope nothing significantly tall gets built there. It would block Fountain Place.
Yeah, I agree. I noticed that too.

Fountain Place is a LANDMARK. And unique in all the U.S. I believe.
That would be messed up to block it.

I wonder how Perot plans on dealing with that...

Old 12-13-2013, 11:23 PM

286 posts, read 406,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I feel that in Houston, only more so coming into downtown on I-45 both south bound & north bound. No other view like it in Texas or the South for that matter. Its a pure adrenaline rush.

Also, there's no other view like approaching the Galleria from the south seeing Williams Tower pop up in the distance over 610. It looks & feels like Chicago seeing the Sears Tower for the first time in person its that dominating.
Are you on drugs? Seriously. Have you ever been to Chicago? This is my point about these delusional Houston boosters comparing their city to New York and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas