Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,909,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Looks great! Do you have a nice view out that window when you're doing dishes?
Yes,you can wash dishes and look at the mountains...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,157,220 times
Nice Oz! What form of heating and cooling are you using?

Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Nice Oz! What form of heating and cooling are you using?
Wood stove for heat,need to buy a bigger and more efficient one and for cooling window A/C,it doesn't really need a lot of cooling,it is quite cool at nights.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:58 PM

380 posts, read 1,147,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Hey I am laughing with you friend, not at you.

I did the same thing, even going so far as to not put wiring in my inside walls...hey they were coming out when it was a garage right? I ran wires overhead for my garage door openers in my attic and that framed in the walls for them too, and I put my range outlet between those framed in doors so that when it was a garage, my welding outlet would be right where I could wheel my welder out and weld on cars and trucks.

But it was just cheaper to add on to my existing "garage"/"Home" then it was to build a house separately. It took me forever though because I did it the real hard way. Cut the trees down and hauled them out. Sawed them on the sawmill, stacked the wood, waited for it to dry and built just about everything from on-farm forest products from the cedar shingles on the sides, to the black cherry cabinets. Heck even the floors are from some Ash I had.

I got a nice place now, but it took two additions and 15 years to do it. It is certainly not my dream place, but the mortgage is...0 per month. I like that!
man thats some good looking wood...esp. the floor! what different size widths did you use on that floor?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 AM

FINALLY the flooring is there,isn't installed however but that will start next week.

My truck has been in the shop for basically three weeks,love those diesels until they break down....

Hope to post some more pics of the flooring.

For those looking for something pretty cheap and good looking,try Lumber Liquidators.It is white pine so it WILL dent and get marked up but it is less than $1 square foot for tongue and groove 5" planks.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 AM

Looking foward to seeing the pictures of the finished product.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 PM

few pics of the floor,went much slower than I had hoped but am going back up this next week to knock out the rest...then comes the partition walls,kitchen cabinets,staining and painting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/warpaint59/Thefloors008.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/warpaint59/Thefloors006.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-04-2010, 08:43 AM

Oz, the floor looks great!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,301 times
i am a young man and I want to build a small pole barn that I can live in....I have no idea where to start. I have looked up several different plans but haven't found anything that i like....I only want a 1 bedroom and 1 bath with kitchen and living room combined. I am wating to build this and then later build the house on the same property and this barn will become the party barn does anyone have any ideas

Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcwdhm View Post
i am a young man and I want to build a small pole barn that I can live in....I have no idea where to start. I have looked up several different plans but haven't found anything that i like....I only want a 1 bedroom and 1 bath with kitchen and living room combined. I am wating to build this and then later build the house on the same property and this barn will become the party barn does anyone have any ideas
Jcwdhm,

Have you tried drawing out a floor plan on graph paper? Guess you first need to have some different sizes of pole barns in mind, and then try to fit the rooms into the space. When designing plumbing, probably good to keep the kitchen and the bathroom near each other, and plan for your well and septic design, and electricity source, when deciding where to place your building. Also, keep in mind HVAC and phone service, accessibility during all kinds of weather, lay of the land with regards to drainage, sunlight, hmmm...just a few things to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living