Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,368 times

Advertisements

Sounds like an interesting plan. Would you raise the Longhorn cattle for beef?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 03:46 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Sounds like an interesting plan. Would you raise the Longhorn cattle for beef?
Yes,mostly for ourselves as people here have come to believe beef is supposed to only taste a certain way.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:28 AM

So Longhorn beef have a distinctive taste that is different than other beef? Is that clay good for raising veggies, too? How much land is cleared and how much is in trees? Do you have any streams, springs or ponds on the property?

Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 AM

Longhorns have less fat and therefore have a different taste and must be cooked differently.

People up there raise their own veggies for personal use,most commercial farming seems to be hay or apples.

The land needs clearing,it is overgrown with brush and small trees.

We have two small streams on the property and our land borders one large creek.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Longhorns have less fat and therefore have a different taste and must be cooked differently.

People up there raise their own veggies for personal use,most commercial farming seems to be hay or apples.

The land needs clearing,it is overgrown with brush and small trees.

We have two small streams on the property and our land borders one large creek.
From what I've heard, and I'm certainly not an expert, having live water is great for cattle. Guess it depends on if it's near the pasture or not. Did you already drill a well? If so, how is your water? Good pressure and taste?

Last edited by tambre; 06-03-2009 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: not enuf java...

Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,746 times
You have to be careful around streams with any livestock. The NRCS truly discourages the direct drinking of livestock in natural water bodies. In fact they do not pay for fencing as a rule, but when it comes to natural bodies of water, they will pay to fence these areas to exclude livestock. Since it is your property, it is in your best interest to keep these animals from pooing and polluting your streams and natural water bodies as well.

The NCRS in this county anyway, no longer builds farm ponds for this reason. They will however cost share for a well. In my county, we voted to put wells at a 50% cost share, meaning obviously that they pay for half the cost of the well, while you pay for the other half. That's not a bad deal at all. We decided to cap wells at 50% only because we wanted to discourage people from using fed money to install their own water wells for future homes. Typically cost share programs are funded at 75%.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
From what I've heard, and I'm certainly not an expert, having live water is great for cattle. Guess it depends on if it's near the pasture or not. Did you already drill a well? If so, how is your water? Good pressure and taste?
The two small streams are too small for much of anything,although we might try building a pond fed by them.We might be able to run a pump from the large creek to get water in the field near there,however we haven't even been able to walk there for a while due to it being so overgrown.

We had our well drilled a few months back,great tasting water and lots of it, thank God.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The two small streams are too small for much of anything,although we might try building a pond fed by them.We might be able to run a pump from the large creek to get water in the field near there,however we haven't even been able to walk there for a while due to it being so overgrown.

We had our well drilled a few months back,great tasting water and lots of it, thank God.
One thing you can do that is install two tiles in those small seasonal streams. You could line the bottom of the tile with rock and that would let you have an 8 foot well, 4 feet in diameter that would fill up with water. (750 gallons of water...more if you went with 3 tiles...or 4)

I plan to do this near a seasonal stream on my farm. It is too far away from any dwelling to get electricity too, but if I hook up my small generator to a sump pump, it could fill up a stock tank within a reasonable distance especially if I use that inexpensive black plastic pipe. That would get your stream to help water your livestock and not pollute your stream with cattle poo.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Uhhh, what he said

Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 7,094 times
Default Pole Barn House

www.lilhouseguru.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living