Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times

Advertisements

The link you posted is not working, but went to the address, and saw the different houses, including the pole barn house. Very cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:29 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
We built a 30 x 40 shop, 16' walls and 22' to the peak.
It cost $30,000, has 4 windows, one man door and one 16' x 14' that will let any RV fit, lots of electric including 220 and provisions for a generator.

After it was finished, I looked at it and asked the builder what it would take to make this building compliant with residential codes. He said he thought some stuff near the ground for infiltration, IIRC.

It's insulated with GreenGuard, some stuff in the roof, no vent though because the builder said we don't need one.

My idea is to dig a deep basement, perhaps even two stories deep, then put up a pole barn on top of it. With hyperinsulation and some underground quarters the heat and air costs should be pretty reasonable.

I was wondering if you could just build the shell and then spray the inside with styrofoam, as they do with monolithic domes, then pshotcrete over that. You'd have an almost airtight building with the insulation qualities of a dome.
Might be just as easy to do the dome. Monolithic

Anyway, I'd think you could get into a pretty nice place for well under 100 grand.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
We built a 30 x 40 shop, 16' walls and 22' to the peak.
It cost $30,000, has 4 windows, one man door and one 16' x 14' that will let any RV fit, lots of electric including 220 and provisions for a generator.

After it was finished, I looked at it and asked the builder what it would take to make this building compliant with residential codes. He said he thought some stuff near the ground for infiltration, IIRC.

It's insulated with GreenGuard, some stuff in the roof, no vent though because the builder said we don't need one.

My idea is to dig a deep basement, perhaps even two stories deep, then put up a pole barn on top of it. With hyperinsulation and some underground quarters the heat and air costs should be pretty reasonable.

I was wondering if you could just build the shell and then spray the inside with styrofoam, as they do with monolithic domes, then pshotcrete over that. You'd have an almost airtight building with the insulation qualities of a dome.
Might be just as easy to do the dome. Monolithic

Anyway, I'd think you could get into a pretty nice place for well under 100 grand.
I like the domes, really interesting site. Especially like the ones with the windows, as natural light is important to me. Maybe you could talk to an engineer to see if that method of spraying with styrofoam/pshotcrete would be structually feasible in a pole barn building. What is GreenGuard?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:21 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
The worst part about pole barn living is being on concrete. Same with houses on slab IMHO. As you age that concrete can get very hard on the back and knees, joints generally. Have an injured back and it just gets worse. I wondered if there was a way to put low suspended floor joisted floor over the slab - but it would certainly add to the cost, add in a few extra windows, doors etc. and pretty fast a pole barn is almost as expensive as a stick built or modular.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Just to report back on my friend's barn home I posted about earlier....that thing made it through Hurricane Ike (it was 3 blocks from the water) w/ very little damage. Strangely enough, the doors and base were so thoroughly sealed that only 3 inches of water made it into the building...there was about 2.5 outside the building. No wind damage at all. It was strange seeing that place there being all cheery, when only a few other houses in the immediate area were still standing. The unattached shop and gardens did not fare so well. Salt water really does in tools and landscaping.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 34,834 times
Default In the process

We are in the process of building our 40x56 storage/living with attached 28x32 great room/kitchen combination. Hopefully we will have pictures up once construction is finished and then my hubby will be working on the inside!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 PM

68 posts, read 373,468 times
*bump*

Old 09-02-2009, 09:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
The bathtub with the platform built up around it,the top will be tiled with slate and we are building a shower curtain to go all the way around.

The pine door and wood walls,still trying to decide what to put on the walls,we want the would to show its natural color.

Floors will be slate tile,next weekends project.

Vanity counter top with copper sink.Unfortunately Mrs oz was not able to finish the plumbing as the sink required a special piece....another project for next weekend.Unsure of what to place on the counters,that is Mrs oz's territory,she has the good taste.

Another view of vanity,it is actually three kitchen cabinets and measures six feet long.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 PM

That's beautiful! Love the rustic bathtub.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFamilyIn2010 View Post
We are in the process of building our 40x56 storage/living with attached 28x32 great room/kitchen combination. Hopefully we will have pictures up once construction is finished and then my hubby will be working on the inside!
Would love to see pictures of the process, and of course the finished living space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living