Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 04:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times

Advertisements

I've lived out "in the country" (10 miles from the nearest city, Duluth) almost my whole life, but something that has only caught my attention lately is the preponderance of pole buildings out where I live. It seems that everybody has one. On a roughly 2.5 mile drive down one rural road, out of the houses with yards visible from the road, I counted 10 out of 13 with pole buildings.

These homes mostly had garages separate from the pole building.

We have a decaying barn that serves for our "pole building" (our land, like many in the area, was once used for farming). It is not heated and now lacks a barn door, but we used it for storage.

Others, however, have sometimes gigantic pole buildings with very large sliding doors. Despite their size they seem to be very cheap constructions, vinyl-sided, white, without any aesthetic frills. Surely they would not receive permissions from the HOA or even possibly the city zoning board for construction in a suburb. They do not usually seem to be erected at farming households, and only a few plots of land which they are on own houses. What do they use them for? "Toy" (ATV/dirt bike/jet ski/boat/etc.) storage? Man caves?

Do you own a pole building? What do you use it for? Is it heated / cooled? Do you think pole building ownership, among the general population, positively correlates with country music listening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 04:15 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Pole buildings are inexpensive (relatively) and easy to construct.

Around here many are used for equipment storage by contractors or farmers, municipal garages for public works, and in specific cases commercial construction.

An HOA would likely have covenants concerning them but zoning in areas might not.

What does any of that have to do with country music?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
I just made a pole-barn style garage this past summer. My neighbor and the building supplies people all urged me to build using trusses instead. But it would have been far more expensive to use trusses.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:34 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Pole buildings are inexpensive (relatively) and easy to construct.

Around here many are used for equipment storage by contractors or farmers, municipal garages for public works, and in specific cases commercial construction.

An HOA would likely have covenants concerning them but zoning in areas might not.

What does any of that have to do with country music?
All one has to do it look carefully at any old barn then at any pole building to see that the amount of material to build a pole building is far, far less than any barn.

Material=$ and time.

Pole building=$$

Barn=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I just made a pole-barn style garage this past summer. My neighbor and the building supplies people all urged me to build using trusses instead. But it would have been far more expensive to use trusses.

You didn't use trusses?

What is your snow load??

Old 01-01-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
You didn't use trusses?

What is your snow load??
In this area the code snow-load is 100psf.

The majority of barns around here do not have trusses. By our own survey of garages over 10 years old about half of them do and half do not.

Pole-barns are very sturdy.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:17 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
"Pole building" refers to a framework of vertical poles as opposed to supporting walls constructed of dimensional lumber. You can use trusses or rafters on either type of building, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at with this comment.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
"Pole building" refers to a framework of vertical poles as opposed to supporting walls constructed of dimensional lumber. You can use trusses or rafters on either type of building, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at with this comment.
Vertical posts with horizontal beams and rafters. No trusses.

What I see commonly referred to as a 'pole barn' never uses trusses.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
In this area the code snow-load is 100psf.

The majority of barns around here do not have trusses. By our own survey of garages over 10 years old about half of them do and half do not.

Pole-barns are very sturdy.
It all depends on the roofs unsupported span if they will meet the 100psf load requirement.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
It all depends on the roofs unsupported span if they will meet the 100psf load requirement.
And the pitch of the roof, yes.

To borrow a phrase from a building contractor friend of mine: "some houses in this are were built to be able to park a tank on top of them". My house is like that. Seriously over-engineered.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living