Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,950,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadybrooke View Post
My husband and I are looking at building a home starting with a 60x40 pole barn. We have the plans all drawn up of turning this pole barn into our dream home. Any ideas on where we should start?
Start by looking up Morton Building's website. They are the best out there, one stop shop, they have their own crew and your home will be up in less than a week....they will hand you the keys !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 PM

375 posts, read 1,382,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Any pictures?
Like this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Pole barn used as a home-91424.jpg  

Old 11-12-2010, 08:53 AM

If done correctly , its hard to see a post/beam building as any different than other construction. Siding can be what ever anyone wants , not always the standard metal " barn" /Farm siding. Some of the builders , like Morton for example , build churches, office buildings , banks, auto parts stores...and yes , houses. The sky's the limit , only restricted by your wallet.
The nice thing about using the metal panels is they go up quick, are offered in many colors, and require little maintance. If you use them inside as well as out, the finnish work wil be very fast and quite cost controled. Most folks use dry wall in at lest part of the interior as its less " industrial" in look, but does take longer to build.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,884,443 times
I like the look of these,a bit pricey though.

Barn Pros - Barn House Kit Series

Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,151,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
Like this one?
Looks good, but does it have living space?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:37 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,952 times
We built a similar one in Colorado in six days. Classic Steel was the company that erected it - It was 40x120 with a machine shed and two garages + two bedrooms and an office. One large wc and shower. The posts were placed three weeks before and the concrete floor allowed to cure. We sprayed foam insulation to R60, then put fire proof "rock" all the way around. On the backside, there's a pallet burner that supplies hot water heat to the entire building.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:13 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,151,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
We built a similar one in Colorado in six days. Classic Steel was the company that erected it - It was 40x120 with a machine shed and two garages + two bedrooms and an office. One large wc and shower. The posts were placed three weeks before and the concrete floor allowed to cure. We sprayed foam insulation to R60, then put fire proof "rock" all the way around. On the backside, there's a pallet burner that supplies hot water heat to the entire building.
Did you live there? How did you handle the ceilings, i.e., cathedral, or did you make a lower ceiling and then sheetrock? That spray foam insulation is great stuff, but very expensive. Would you care to say how much the building, as described cost?

Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 AM

When I built my 30' x 45' Morton Building it cost me 23,000. ( That was over 12 years ago however). Included was everything, electrical, interior walls, plumbing, centeral ducted gas heat, prured cement floor,... I had a 10' celing all metal and well insulated above with blown in fiber. I did the walls in 10' smooth Hardie Panel, no need for drywall mud, just paint. ( Now today they offer pre painted as well). There was 3 Guys on my build, and the basic was done in less than a week. This was in NC at 4,000 feet, so the winters were extream. The Morton was warmer than my house and much less cost to heat. I had 2 wall windows,2 man doors w/glass, and a sliding barn door on tracks, insulated , for axcess.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Did you live there? How did you handle the ceilings, i.e., cathedral, or did you make a lower ceiling and then sheetrock? That spray foam insulation is great stuff, but very expensive. Would you care to say how much the building, as described cost?
Of course I lived there, why do you thing I built it!

The bedrooms are upstairs, the machine shop and garages downstairs.

Foam is $4/sqft to one inch liquid thickness - expands to three inches. Foam was used on the ceiling and sides of the metal building. The rock was in the bedrooms and wc.

Us with the labor and them with the materiels and equipment - I believe it was $9,870 for the concrete work and steel corners; $48,500 for the shell + another $26,550 for insulation and rock. We got a large discount from the insulation company for doing the entire job in one day. Another $25,000 for the interior bedrooms and wc. The pallet burner out back and adding the hot water heating units and plumbing was another $11,000 = $120,920. A 4800 sq ft building for $25.19 sq ft. duh

Our elev was 8100 ft. Because we used wood burner, instead of electric or LP, the cost of keeping the place a warm 70F was about $200/mo.

The Morton buildings I remember were all quonset huts we had in the military. Great construction, but a pain the insulate - they're half-rounds.
Blown in paper fiber is the cheapest insulation you can buy and actually does a better job than "pink". Hardi-planks are cement covered masonite boards. Not much insulation value in them. Did you get them before or after the settlement?

Old 11-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Morton Buildings are not " quonset buildings." .. No where close. You are thinking of another company. They are cheaper than Morton , but , yes , are very hard to insulate , and finish off inside.
I am finishing up a new LVL Rocio Romero designed home. Its all steel, 12" thick wood framed panels, flat roof, metal siding. I have R70-80 all around , except where the glass is , and thats more than 50 per cent. WE used Fiber cement as an outside combo with the metal panels. hardie makes a great product, and , its only a wind screen, not intended to insulate, nor is dry wall. I dence packed all my under roof, and walls with blown in celouse., best and cheapest. Some areas are Polyiso 4" sheet rigid insulation... closed cell, the best.... Just finished the last panels outside yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living