Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,896,235 times

Advertisements

Ingenious solution to the problem,surprised the county allowed it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 10:24 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,486,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ingenious solution to the problem,surprised the county allowed it...
I agree...a lot of gov employees are into crushing lives.

I bought all the needed permits and finished construction regarding those permits. County showed up and and left notice that I needed permits. Easy to straighten up but why did I have to?

I consider selling now. I wanted to get away from it all and bam.....there is the county. They put up road signs and rebuilt a 38 year old road leading to my barn. I may wait to see what their tax plans are.

I really want to get away from it all. I already had an 'undercover' tell me he could shoot me (at 1000 yards-distant bluff) with his .308. Used to brag about his .50 with the $4400 scope, not its all about the .308. He lives in the area.

Does gov hire psychos or do they become that way with almost unlimited power?

Sorry...rant over.

Nice job with the house Oz.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM

It is government that is the problem.

Yet so many people look to it for answers.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mct737 View Post
Hi I live in Indiana and am new to this forum.

I am a divorced 50 year young man that took an early retirement as an airline pilot for a major airline 6 years ago. I sold my home and bought a new big 45 ft motorhome/bus to travel in. After 2 years I decided to move back to Indiana and have a home base 6 months out of the year. I bought 4 acres out in the country. I didn't want to build a house just yet and instead built a 50x100x16 pole barn to store / live in my motorhome. I then built an upstairs home along one side of the building inside. (16x100). Somehow the county found out and said that was ok but what was I going to do about septic as the only place for the septic was clear on the other side of the property ( the ground testing for the septic). That was a $$$$ thing. So I installed a 60 gal. motorhome gray tank and a 40 gal black tank just like my motorhome and about every 3 or 4 weeks I take it in a 100 tank in the back of my truck to the truck stop about 5 miles down the road and dump for free. The county guy just shuck his head and drove away. That was a year ago.
That was an innovative solution, lol. Necessity is the mother of ingenuity. At least you gave the county employee a good story to tell: "just when I thought I'd seen it all...."

Old 01-18-2011, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 12,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That was an innovative solution, lol. Necessity is the mother of ingenuity. At least you gave the county employee a good story to tell: "just when I thought I'd seen it all...."
Well they couldn,t say any thing about me living in my motorhome outside the shop on my own land, so I moved it inside the shop and nothing was said. In fact they wanted to see in the big machine like they had never seen anything like that. So I figured if they didn't care about my motorhome then why is my barn any different.
I just love government ha ha ha.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Hi I live in Indiana and am new to this forum.

I am a divorced 50 year young man that took an early retirement as an airline pilot for a major airline 6 years ago. I sold my home and bought a new big 45 ft motorhome/bus to travel in. After 2 years I decided to move back to Indiana and have a home base 6 months out of the year. I bought 4 acres out in the country. I didn't want to build a house just yet and instead built a 50x100x16 pole barn to store / live in my motorhome. I then built an upstairs home along one side of the building inside. (16x100). Somehow the county found out and said that was ok but what was I going to do about septic as the only place for the septic was clear on the other side of the property ( the ground testing for the septic). That was a $$$$ thing. So I installed a 60 gal. motorhome gray tank and a 40 gal black tank just like my motorhome and about every 3 or 4 weeks I take it in a 100 tank in the back of my truck to the truck stop about 5 miles down the road and dump for free. The county guy just shuck his head and drove away. That was a year ago.
Are you also doing some personal ads? That first sentence kind of has that air about it.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 12,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Are you also doing some personal ads? That first sentence kind of has that air about it.
I am sorry that you thought that came out that way. I just wanted to give everybody a little back ground on me. I have been lucky enough to be able to retire early. I have no plans on another relationship as I have heart disease and have 5 to 10 years before I need a new heart which I will not get as I am a former smoker so I am just telling everyone and the government, I don't really care what they think. But I thought I would put in my 2 cents and give everyone a little experience that I had. I also know that most of the counties are broke so what are they going to do anyway. Sue me I would love that.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I am sorry that you thought that came out that way. I just wanted to give everybody a little back ground on me. I have been lucky enough to be able to retire early. I have no plans on another relationship as I have heart disease and have 5 to 10 years before I need a new heart which I will not get as I am a former smoker so I am just telling everyone and the government, I don't really care what they think. But I thought I would put in my 2 cents and give everyone a little experience that I had. I also know that most of the counties are broke so what are they going to do anyway. Sue me I would love that.
Sorry...didn't mean to sound serious. Most of the time, I'm trying to entertain myself or others. That doesn't always convey on the net.

I have recently given thought to running a personal ad so I guess my "radar" is going online. I just don't know how to advertise for the somewhat virtuous yet somewhat horny girls.

Glad you had luck with the county. I am considering selling now that my property has appeared on the radar of the county. That in spite of the fact that I got all permits and all is OK. Just can't stand the thought of gov CONSTANTLY watching my every move. The Patriot Act chafes my ass 24/7. That is why I fled into an area without a road....I thought. Then they reconstituted a 38 year old road. Crap.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,437 times
Default any advice?

I love my horse barn as much as I do my house. My husband and I are now in the process of turning the upstairs and 2 of the stalls into a living space. I think it will be wonderful.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 AM

I love barns and outbuildings more than homes,probably why we will be living in one soon....

Will post some pics of the new addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living