Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,980,924 times

Advertisements

We've been telling ourselves the same thing... it's just a post-framed cabin in the woods, not the Taj Mahal! I doubt there is a smooth, square or straight corner to be had in our place... that's why we're planning on using nice, flexible rope for the trim on the inner corners and crown. Since we're running the electrics outside the wall behind the baseboard, we get to use nice simple 2x3 with sharp edges sanded down a little because we're routing the wiring chase out of the back... no reverse coping miters and trying to get the profiles to line up! And since that's the base treatment, the door and window casings will also be square (might use medallions at the corner or just simple butts).

Cheater cheater pumpkin-eater!! ROFL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 PM

229 posts, read 441,720 times
Medallions are very authentic. I'm sitting here looking at the doorway trim in my 114 year old house and see lots of them. Corner blocks were often used instead of miter joints.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,980,924 times
Medallions make door and window casing sooooo much easier. So do simple butt joints |_| with styles and rails like inset panel cabinet doors.

I'll never again install any kind of angled or profiled crown molding without those handy block corbels that let you butt up straight cuts in the corner (and even mid-span joins if you want to be fancy and can line them up evenly across the room). They make corner blocks for base molding as well. If I ever use profiled base mold again, I'll definitely go that way since they made the crown astronomically easier to install. You can get some of the decorative milled pre-cut blocks, or just use your own simple square blocks and notch out the backside of them for outside corners which isn't too hard with stacked dado blades on a table saw, a large rabbet bit for your router, or a decent circular saw and a sharp chisel.

Back in the day, most folks didn't have all the fancy tools and years of apprenticeship required to master and reproduce the advanced woodworking and trim techniques... all they wanted was a quick and easy way cover up a gap at a joint. Now that we average folks have access to fancier millworks at a somewhat affordable price, we seem to have forgotten that square and simple works, too! You can even call it "modern" design style with its "clean, crisp lines" and "understated ornamentation" if you like

Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,924,281 times
Thanks there.

A few more pics.
We have only the ceilings in the bathroom and laundry room to go and we are DONE!!!
The 'big room' looking towards the sliding glass doors and the driveway outside.

The doorway behind the old fridge is the front bedroom,we have dragged that big ass armoire round and round the room getting it out of the way...

The door a little to the right is to the storeroom/pantry,the other doorway is the laundry room.That hulking big door leaning against the wall used to be our side door...

Back bedroom,it doesn't have as nice views as the front.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,062,439 times
Looks great. I notice in the final photo above that it appears the grade of the backyard slopes toward the house. I hope you have a plan to keep it away through positive grade or drain system to shoot that water away and downhill from the house.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Looks great. I notice in the final photo above that it appears the grade of the backyard slopes toward the house. I hope you have a plan to keep it away through positive grade or drain system to shoot that water away and downhill from the house.
It has been that way since we built it five years ago,no problems to speak of.

Although we would dearly love something other than brambles and thorny plants to grow in the bare spots....

Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It has been that way since we built it five years ago,no problems to speak of.

Although we would dearly love something other than brambles and thorny plants to grow in the bare spots....
Lucky you. I guess different soils in various parts of the country mean different drainage.

As for the bare spots, why not contact your county extention office and find out what native plants grow best? Take a soil sample with you to be tested.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/county/beaufort/

Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Lucky you. I guess different soils in various parts of the country mean different drainage.
It is,especially considering the soil up there is basically red clay.
Hopefully one day(not sure when one days actually arrives...) we will gravel round there as it is a 'road' of sorts to the back part of the property.

Quote:
As for the bare spots, why not contact your county extention office and find out what native plants grow best? Take a soil sample with you to be tested.

Beaufort : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina
Once up there permanently we might just do that.
Seems there is always 'something' going on that stops us.
I want to look into having a pond dug down the bottom of the hill,would like some advice on it but never have the time....as it is right now we can't even get to the bottom of the hill it is so overgrown again...

Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 AM

A few more pics of the progress.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It is,especially considering the soil up there is basically red clay.
Hopefully one day(not sure when one days actually arrives...) we will gravel round there as it is a 'road' of sorts to the back part of the property.

Once up there permanently we might just do that.
Seems there is always 'something' going on that stops us.
I want to look into having a pond dug down the bottom of the hill,would like some advice on it but never have the time....as it is right now we can't even get to the bottom of the hill it is so overgrown again...
You need to offer up your yet to be landscaped area to someone with goats to graze. They'll make quick work of that overgrowth.

Great new photos. What kind of concrete stain did you use? I love that look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living