Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 AM

15,881 posts, read 6,349,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a tract is a tract.
a link to a preacher is a link to a preacher
an exhortation to "hear the word" is evangelizing

flip side of the same coin
She asked about new atheism. I hooked her up to hear the words of one. I'm not trying to change her mind about anything. Those videos don't even really address atheism in as much as how it applies to spirituality. He's discussing his perspective and the problem he sees and not preaching. I watch videos people share for that very same reason. It helps me understand where people are coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 08:17 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,172,313 times
Quote:
a tract is a tract.

links,videos, articles, scripture

nope.
i agree that a person needs to say it in their own words
evangelizing is distasteful and dismissed for all the same reasons
And that person did say it in their own words. What is the problem?

Old 09-02-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
a tract is a tract.

links,videos, articles, scripture

nope.
i agree that a person needs to say it in their own words
evangelizing is distasteful and dismissed for all the same reasons
I guess you decided to add a little finger shaking to your post. It's there, people can add to their knowledge or as you say dismiss it. If you're just going to dismiss everything people say then you're just debating yourself. I interact with this evangelizes. I listen to their arguments. I can't formulate a meaningful response without knowing where the person is coming from.

Edit to add my own finger shaking: I recognize this tendency to assume you have access to the thoughts of another from my Watchtower training.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:28 AM

22,290 posts, read 19,267,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I guess you decided to add a little finger shaking to your post. It's there, people can add to their knowledge or as you say dismiss it. If you're just going to dismiss everything people say then you're just debating yourself. I interact with this evangelizes. I listen to their arguments. I can't formulate a meaningful response without knowing where the person is coming from.
i don't dismiss what people say.
i disregard tracts, links, videos, exhortations to "hear the word," scripture, and evangelizing

that for me is "talking at people" instead of having a discussion.
if a person can't say it in their own words then there is no conversation

just a lot of waving of tracts. and links. and videos. and scripture.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:31 AM

1,096 posts, read 419,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
What do you mean out in the open? In a public setting where anyone has the right to speak just as freely as the person next to them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

I won't be lip service to religion while it tries to manipulate people on the quiet and maintain its' privileges - it will push religion out of politics, education and the rest of society (not the family - can't help that, it will have to be the 'withering') and the rest of the west will take notice and be aware that it is irreligious.

Ask Transponder.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
i don't dismiss what people say.
i disregard tracts, links, videos, exhortations to "hear the word," scripture, and evangelizing

that for me is "talking at people" instead of having a discussion.
if a person can't say it in their own words there is no conversation

just a lot of waving of tracts. and links. and videos. and scripture.
Well, then that's the difference between us. I take it all in. Only then can I look for a point of contact between them and I. For instance, some people believe that a loving God drowned every sentient being on the planet because it was just. I believe that a loving God would not have done that because that is unjust in my mind. Two opposite opinions but our point of contact is that God is just.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:35 AM

22,290 posts, read 19,267,501 times
Quote:
Well, then that's the difference between us. I take it all in. Only then can I look for a point of contact between them and I. For instance, some people believe that a loving God drowned every sentient being on the planet because it was just. I believe that a loving God would not have done that because that is unjust in my mind. Two opposite opinions but our point of contact is that God is just.
the point of contact with a person for me is conversation with someone in their own words.
not hiding behind a tract, a video, a link, or scripture. it was an atheist here on CD who said if a person can't say it in their own words, then it indicates that they can't think for themself. if they hide behind a wall of text, a tract, a video, a link, scripture, "hear the word" "view the link" it is just seen as the behavior of evangelizing.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:37 AM

1,096 posts, read 419,539 times
Quote:
She asked about new atheism. I hooked her up to hear the words of one. I'm not trying to change her mind about anything. Those videos don't even really address atheism in as much as how it applies to spirituality. He's discussing his perspective and the problem he sees and not preaching. I watch videos people share for that very same reason. It helps me understand where people are coming from.

I am here to talk to people that are also here present on the forum. Not to watch a bunch of videos.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
the point of contact with a person for me is conversation with someone in their own words.
not hiding behind a tract, a video, a link, or scripture. it was an atheist here on CD who said if a person can't say it in their own words, then it indicates that they can't think for themself.
You're you and I'm me. I post in way that makes sense to me. Following a link that resonates with someone is the same to me as them sharing their viewpoint. So it follows that me sharing links that resonate with me is the same.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:39 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,172,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Ask Transponder.
He and I have had this discussion before, though, he may not remember. We do not share the same view points. I told him it is not possible. What I did not continue to say was that it is also inappropriate to even attempt to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality