Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 08:10 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I would like to ask what is New Atheism all about? What are its aims? What is its level of tolerance towards others that are not aligned with it? Does it seek to remove all religion or coexist? Go.
Next in a series, What motivates the 'New Atheist'?

[All comments were made by the same person] *emphasis mine

my primary purposes here is to say to some christians -- back off. A few christians, even here, who are on a hunting expedition...they want to bag an atheist and convert them (or from some other religion). I simply will not let that stand.”

Most important reason to me is to say to christians -- back off and leave people alone. If we want your preaching, we'll ask for it. Second reason -- you don't own this country and have no special status in it.“

You are the enemy who tries to shove your religion down the throats of people who don't want it.”

"Right wing christians are out for blood (sometimes literally) for anyone that's not like them."

“you're telling us in all these posts that you feel a bit defeated when you're so outnumbered in a forum. Maybe that's a little how we feel when we're so outnumbered in everyday life.”

“Yes, you deserve the grilling you're getting here form numerous posters BECAUSE you are pushing an agenda onto people.”

"you have a Christianity subforum, but I don't see you restricting your postings to that subforum”

“You are right. Most of us do not want to hear "more from what the christians think”.

“This is not a praise forum. You would be closer to that up in the christianity subforum. This is a forum to discuss all forms of religion and spirituality… Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Paganism, Satanism, tarot cards, crystals... anything spiritual. It is not owned by christians. It belongs to everyone.”
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 08:15 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
I would like to ask what is New Atheism all about? What are its aims? What is its level of tolerance towards others that are not aligned with it? Does it seek to remove all religion or coexist? Go.
Generally, it's people that don't feel comfortable telling people in person they don't believe, but they feel emboldened on the internet. I've never met an atheist that can actually have a rational discussion and answer some basic questions. So it's usually quite emotional.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:17 PM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Generally, it's people that don't feel comfortable telling people in person they don't believe, but they feel emboldened on the internet. I've never met an atheist that can actually have a rational discussion and answer some basic questions. So it's usually quite emotional.
You have yet to figure out how this projection thing works I'm guessing.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Uh huh. Sure. If that makes you feel better when you go to bed tonight in Mom's basement.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:28 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
1. Yes. And I do not think that was at all just.

2. If there are, that would not have been my position. I already stated that (well I used to think anyways) Atheists deserved rights as well. In fact, if you go back in my comment history to my earliest comments you will see where I posted this and a link to something that was happening in the schools today.

3. Yes.

You can cite things from the past and they are all correct. That is NOT the subject of this thread. This thread is about New Atheism which is new and has no long standing history as of yet. I am concerned with its aims as its beginning to understand where it is going from here on out.
Actually it is the subject of this thread. Those laws, for example, are still on the books.

And the aim of new atheism -- in my view -- is to put religion in its place. And it has a place. In churches. In homes. In minds. But it has no place in politics. It has no place in schools that serve a multicultural (including a multi-religious) population. Our nation is based on separation of church and state. Separation. It's perfectly all right for religionists to vote their conscience, which is based on their religion, but in my view it is not all right for churches to be lobbying politicians with their fists full of greenbacks.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Uh huh. Sure. If that makes you feel better when you go to bed tonight in Mom's basement.
My mother is shunning me and I haven't talked to her in over 5 years due to me not following her religious beliefs. These beliefs can be dangerous if taken too seriously. That's why they can't be set apart as non-discussable.

Someone mentioned Sam Harris. I am a big fan of his. Here are a few short clips. If someone wants to watch some of the longer interviews I highly suggest it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLKNvBdUtZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLPBxtADQJs

Old 09-01-2019, 08:32 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Don't get too carried away by those Nones figures. Those are padded by people who had spiritual traditions that weren't part of the options. Pagans, NeoPagans, and Wiccans to name a few. We have to select "None" if ours isn't listed.
I'm not getting too carried away. Because the irreligion (None) campaign isn't abut atheism but about non -(organised) religion. That is, atheists, agnostics, pagans and even the religious who see the value of no one religion have authority ver the others are part of it.

Which is why I say that we are all allies or should be, because we have the same objective - equal rights for those of any religion or none.

But still those who should be in the campaig with us oppose us and even end up supporting those who would take away their right to think Differently - just because they are not atheists.

Quote:
I don't know if organized religion will survive or not. But not because Atheism is necessarily the answer but because spiritual believers of all traditions may choose something different than what we have now.
I think that atheism is the answer - but I would, wouldn't I and I might be wrong. That doesn't matter. What matters is a society where all the answers are given an equal chance to make a case and not just One answer -a dogma out of a Holy Book -is imposed.

Quote:
If that quote that Iwasmadenew shared was yours... are you from America? At the beginning you were most concerned about America. Can you explain this?
It was mine - I remember it. I'm British. Mad as a hatter, Lazy and smell of wet overcoats. Oh yes - and terrible dentistry. The UK Isn't where the campaign matters. Life of Brian saw to that. America is the problem and getting worse. If America can become Irreligious. , it will KNOW that it is irreligious. I won't be lip service to religion while it tries to manipulate people on the quiet and maintain its' privileges - it will push religion out of politics, education and the rest of society (not the family - can't help that, it will have to be the 'withering') and the rest of the west will take notice and be aware that it is irreligious. Right now it thinks that everyone else is religious, and just pretend.

A quote by an American atheist "When I joined an atheist group I was astonished to find that other atheists were people I know, but I thought they were religious'.

Uk isn't important; America is where the campaign is won or (perhaps) lost.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
My mother is shunning me and I haven't talked to her in over 5 years due to me not following her religious beliefs. These beliefs can be dangerous if taken too seriously. That's why they can't be set apart as non-discussable.
Curious. Is Mom a Christian? If so...what church? There is nothing to justify a Christian shunning a family member over it. Having said that, I am old enough to know there are often 2 sides to a story.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:36 PM

1,096 posts, read 418,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In my view, new atheism is just more outspoken old atheism.

In my time here in this forum, I have seen little mention of eliminating religion, but more putting it in its place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments
Phetaroi, putting it in its place? Is it a threat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is a threat. A threat to its' power and authority. It is a real threat and they are right to fear it.
Explain this.

Quote:
Don't take me an an authority -this is just what i saw. Thee were Christian Information websites, individual sites and general chatrooms where people exchanged views, arguments and some searing abuse and the occasional hellthreat.

In my early days i started on Atheist sites where Christians rolled up and argued with us. Later Christian websites where I rolled up and argued. If we weren't banned.
So trolling was going on? Maybe on both sides?

Quote:
It's the same problem as calling it a religion. Anthing that people feel needs a campaign can be made to look Evangelical - because it is.
So it is evangelical and a movement.

Quote:
You can even find extremism, militancy and Fundamentalism in all sorts of things - Racial and sexual equality. Activism and militancy is common in causes but does not a religion make, let alone a Fundamentalist one.
Does New Atheism have a belief that only rational thought and science provide answers? Do New Atheists believe that those who don't agree are somehow lacking in intelligence? Are these the tenests of New Atheism?

Quote:
But the fact is that one good laugh at the expense of theist will do far more than two pages of informed argument.
I am certain I would be damned to hell by any Fundamentalist Christian (and who knows who else) but the difference is I don't resort to mocking them. Mocking others is playground stuff.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Curious. Is Mom a Christian? If so...what church? There is nothing to justify a Christian shunning a family member over it. Having said that, I am old enough to know there are often 2 sides to a story.
Yes, she is a Christain. You'd know her sect of you bothered to try and understand anyone else. I've mentioned it countless times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality