Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 10:38 AM

29,737 posts, read 9,910,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
That is why religion is not discussed at dinner parties.
Or politics, and why I come to this forum. To scratch that itch hard to do otherwise, though even in this forum the "conversation" can get less about the topic at hand and more about personalities and emotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 10:49 AM

7,690 posts, read 4,232,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Or politics, and why I come to this forum. To scratch that itch hard to do otherwise, though even in this forum the "conversation" can get less about the topic at hand and more about personalities and emotions.
Conversations always come in two parts: content and emotions. It doesn't matter where we are, dinner parties or forums. If the emotion is not taken care of, the content will not be processed in the way the person intended. This is not my idea but of an author who wrote a book about it.

For example, you made an assumption about pushing boundaries. The truth is that nobody pushes my boundaries more than I do, of course, in safe situations. I am not talking about somebody trying to hurt me physically.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Conversations always come in two parts: content and emotions. It doesn't matter where we are, dinner parties or forums. If the emotion is not taken care of, the content will not be processed in the way the person intended. This is not my idea but of an author who wrote a book about it.

For example, you made an assumption about pushing boundaries. The truth is that nobody pushes my boundaries more than I do, of course, in safe situations. I am not talking about somebody trying to hurt me physically.
Yes, true, thanks, but it's not an "assumption about pushing boundaries."

Simply read the many comments from lots of people in this forum and it's obvious many a personal "boundary" of all different sorts gets pushed. Maybe I've not pushed yours, yet, but give me time...

Old 09-22-2019, 11:10 AM

7,690 posts, read 4,232,614 times
Quote:
Yes, true, thanks, but it's not an "assumption about pushing boundaries."

Simply read the many comments from lots of people in this forum and it's obvious many a personal "boundary" of all different sorts gets pushed. Maybe I've not pushed yours, yet, but give me time...
I didn't say you can't push my boundaries, just that you can't push mine further than I do. It is actually a skill I learned from the book.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:30 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,296,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Pretty much. Courts are very strict on evidence. Claims must be stated in factual terms and no opinion other than that of an expert is admissible. (Of course, I can't speak for what exceptions there might be outside of the UK.)
In the US there are two different sets of rules.

There's the Rules of Evidence for Civil Procedure and the Rules of Evidence for Criminal Procedure.

They are not the same. Rules of evidence in civil matters is far more liberal than criminal matters.

In US tele-dramas and films, there's the "Surprise Witness."

That's fantasy and never happened ever.

The rules of evidence for both criminal and civil procedure require all parties to notify opposing parties of every witness they intend to put on the stand at trial far in advance of trial. Occasionally, a witness pops up, but the opposing party is given the opportunity to depose the witness at a deposition and challenge the introduction of their testimony long before they take the stand.

In civil court, documents must be authenticated before being allowed to be introduced as evidence. Government documents at any level of government are self-authenticating.

The bible is not self-authenticating.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:08 PM

1,456 posts, read 522,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
In the US there are two different sets of rules.

There's the Rules of Evidence for Civil Procedure and the Rules of Evidence for Criminal Procedure.
Same in the UK. One of the difference between the two in the UK, for instance, is standard by which they measure relevance of evidence, like hearsay. Neither, however, consider opinions relevant and strike them from witness evidence as a rule, with certain exceptions such as expert witnesses of course.

I've only had a brief look and from what I can see there are similar restrictions in the US but the matter of relevance plays a much bigger role and can potentially make such evidence admissible. An appeal in Devincentz v. State illustrates both.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:58 AM

50,159 posts, read 21,014,227 times
Quote:
Oh yes. Though I would argue that this comes from the theists side in trying to discredit the atheist argument by attacking atheists in themselves, and from the atheist side by criticising the argument -methods of the theists. Or at least anti -atheists

The difference is (I'd say) is that one tries to cut out false arguments and get a rational discussion going and the other is merely attempting to win by propaganda smearing.
Quote:
Again I'm not sure about all this "taking sides" business, but no doubt I'm not the only one who has met the wrath of people who don't much share the same "side" or opinion or style or temperament or civility...
Since I have known your posts, i have never been sure of whether you saw yourself as a theist or atheist and, so far as I recall, I never asked, because your posts were making points that deserved an answer anyway. In your case at least the question of your 'bias' never came up because i never really saw any.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Oh yes. Though I would argue that this comes from the theists side in trying to discredit the atheist argument by attacking atheists in themselves, and from the atheist side by criticising the argument -methods of the theists. Or at least anti -atheists

The difference is (I'd say) is that one tries to cut out false arguments and get a rational discussion going and the other is merely attempting to win by propaganda smearing.

Since I have known your posts, i have never been sure of whether you saw yourself as a theist or atheist and, so far as I recall, I never asked, because your posts were making points that deserved an answer anyway. In your case at least the question of your 'bias' never came up because i never really saw any.
I've seen all manner of approach in this forum, "good, bad and ugly." I've not noticed strong evidence that either "side" has been without the bad and ugly.

As for my posts, I can't imagine anyone who has paid half attention to my comments somehow thinking I cold be a theist. Or even wondering. Especially if you understood my Ten Truths.

If you can find a one post of mine that might suggest such a thing, I'd be curious to see it pointed out.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:50 AM

2,962 posts, read 877,030 times
Quote:
I've seen all manner of approach in this forum, "good, bad and ugly." I've not noticed strong evidence that either "side" has been without the bad and ugly.

As for my posts, I can't imagine anyone who has paid half attention to my comments somehow thinking I cold be a theist. Or even wondering. Especially if you understood my Ten Truths.

If you can find a one post of mine that might suggest such a thing, I'd be curious to see it pointed out.
FWIW, your Ten Truths are clearly making a case for a materialist atheist worldview. No hint of belief in anything supernatural. There was no ambiguity that you are an atheist.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
FWIW, your Ten Truths are clearly making a case for a materialist atheist worldview. No hint of belief in anything supernatural. There was no ambiguity that you are an atheist.
Thank you. I didn't think there was much ambiguity either and though I don't really agree with your summation here (and because it's time for me to sign off again), I am hesitant to add only this...

I don't view my Ten Truths as making a case for other than how we might all approach an agreed upon basis and process by which to pursue our universal truth, whether it be spiritual or non-spiritual. Mostly for purposes of keeping the peace between competing notions and/or so we don't kill one another in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality