Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 04:10 PM

51,423 posts, read 24,782,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if you are not able to see the flawed logic, I believe you.
However other people are able to see it.
I'm not seeing any rush of people agreeing with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 04:13 PM

1,456 posts, read 521,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What he doesn't understand is that there's a difference between "referencing" something and "talking about" something.

There's nothing wrong with "talking about something", but there is something a bit hypocritical about criticizing someone who uses Wikipedia to gain information as compared to not referencing anything at all.

And I say this as a person who, generally, finds a lot of good stuff in his posts.
I can't speak for what Mircea does or does not understand, even though I do, on occasion, lean toward the latter because I'm not as unbiased as I'd like to be. I can, however, on the basis of my 8 months here, draw an opinion on the quality of someone's responses on this site. Here I've come to observe a great tendency toward gish gallop where quantity is far more important than quality, after all, it's easy to drown out factual errors in white noise.

It's hard to judge something like this without succumbing to an impulse to attribute intentions. I try hard not to do it (and I fail more often than I care to admit) but I just can't help but feel that where there is so much loud white noise and general patting of own's back and singing of one's own praises, many of the inaccuracies are concealed and a lot of the scrutiny and accountability is reduced or removed altogether either by motive of effect. And if it were by motive, not referencing information would seem like a fairly logical step to avoid scrutiny.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:00 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,928,614 times
Default There are many religions; there is only One science.

Quote:
"Anything that is not a fact is not reliable. If it were, all faiths in the world would be one faith, not dozens of faiths."

that's like saying if food was reliable there would only be one flavor of food, not dozens of flavors of food.
if music was reliable there would only be one type of music not dozens of types of music.
if books were reliable there would only be one section in the library, not dozens.
and in that one section there would be only one book, not dozens of books.
if learning was reliable there would only be one degree offered at university.
Incorrect. It is a category of what is valid and what is not. It isn't about many things that can be valid or many things that may not be.

You mention food. There are many different kinds of food and whether one prefers one or another is personal preference. Whether it is edible or not is an empirical fact, not preference.

There are many books on many subjects, and what subject one prefers is personal preference. But they are either true or not. preference or belief about what it true, doesn't make it true though one can fiddle the semantics as 'true' for that person, that merely means 'faith' and isn't true in the empirical sense. Of course we are in the 'complex question' area here, where a book may contain a mix of true, false and half true or even metaphorically true. As with any books we have to use our judgement and experience to evaluate books, just as any other claims or arguments. Which is why we have debates and apologetics.

I concede that this is an easy one to get confused about, but I still say that the same thing applies - Fact and personal preference are not the same thing.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:05 AM

7,682 posts, read 4,218,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Incorrect. It is ab category of what is valid and what is not. It isn't about many things that can be valid or many things that may not be.

You mention food. There are many different kinds of food and whether one prefers one or another is personal preference. Whether it is edible or not is an empirical fact, not preference.

There are many books on many subjects, and what subject one prefers is personal preference. But they are either true or not. preference or belief about what it true, doesn't make it true though one can fiddle the semantics as 'true' for that person, that merely means 'faith' and isn't true in the empirical sense. Of course we are in the 'complex question' area here, where a book may contain a mix of true, false and half true or even metaphorically true. As with any books we have to use our judgement and experience to evaluate books, just as any other claims or arguments. Which is why we have debates and apologetics.

I concede that this is an easy one to get confused about, but I still say that the same thing applies - Fact and personal preference are not the same thing.
A person can have a personal preference and that can be a fact about that one person. Outside of that one person, of course there are facts that are independent of preferences. But we speculate their meaning, their intentions, their implications until we gather more information.

BTW, I am in agreement with you if that was not clear in this post.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:17 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,928,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
I can't speak for what Mircea does or does not understand, even though I do, on occasion, lean toward the latter because I'm not as unbiased as I'd like to be. I can, however, on the basis of my 8 months here, draw an opinion on the quality of someone's responses on this site. Here I've come to observe a great tendency toward gish gallop where quantity is far more important than quality, after all, it's easy to drown out factual errors in white noise.

It's hard to judge something like this without succumbing to an impulse to attribute intentions. I try hard not to do it (and I fail more often than I care to admit) but I just can't help but feel that where there is so much loud white noise and general patting of own's back and singing of one's own praises, many of the inaccuracies are concealed and a lot of the scrutiny and accountability is reduced or removed altogether either by motive of effect. And if it were by motive, not referencing information would seem like a fairly logical step to avoid scrutiny.
I can only say that for the last few pages I haven't seen anything about New Atheism, either explaining it or attacking it; for or against. Has the thread run out of purpose? One explanation is all that is needed.

New atheism is Old atheism with a Voice.

Within atheism you can have all kinds of what old Arach might have called 'sects' like anti -religion or militant/activist atheism. This is atheists who see a need to do more than just disagree with the claims of religion or even to make those disagreements public, but see the grip that religion has on society, and particularly and very powerfully in the US, and want to do something about it.

Not all atheists want to do that. Some are actually against it (Prof. Stavrakopulou is the prime example (1) while there are theists who are on board with us. The 'Nones' (as has been observed) aren't always atheists. Some are irreligious theists. Anti -religion is not in fact limited to atheism, New or Old. It is a campaign against the influence of organised religion, and even Theists can see the need for that initiative.

(1) I do hope that she has rethought her position and realised that we New atheists are fighting for her rights and trying to get rid of the problems that she has complained about - both from established and orthox Theism and sexism.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:48 AM

7,682 posts, read 4,218,955 times
Quote:
I can only say that for the last few pages I haven't seen anything about New Atheism, either explaining it or attacking it; for or against. Has the thread run out of purpose? One explanation is all that is needed.

New atheism is Old atheism with a Voice.

Within atheism you can have all kinds of what old Arach might have called 'sects' like anti -religion or militant/activist atheism. This is atheists who see a need to do more than just disagree with the claims of religion or even to make those disagreements public, but see the grip that religion has on society, and particularly and very powerfully in the US, and want to do something about it.

Not all atheists want to do that. Some are actually against it (Prof. Stavrakopulou is the prime example (1) while there are theists who are on board with us. The 'Nones' (as has been observed) aren't always atheists. Some are irreligious theists. Anti -religion is not in fact limited to atheism, New or Old. It is a campaign against the influence of organised religion, and even Theists can see the need for that initiative.

(1) I do hope that she has rethought her position and realised that we New atheists are fighting for her rights and trying to get rid of the problems that she has complained about - both from established and orthox Theism and sexism.
I was thinking New atheism is Old atheism with consequences that are finally felt. The bite.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:56 AM

51,423 posts, read 24,782,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I was thinking New atheism is Old atheism with consequences that are finally felt. The bite.
That's pretty good.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:22 AM

22,857 posts, read 19,472,618 times
Quote:
Incorrect. It is a category of what is valid and what is not. It isn't about many things that can be valid or many things that may not be.

But they are either true or not. preference or belief about what it true, doesn't make it true though one can fiddle the semantics as 'true' for that person, that merely means 'faith' and isn't true in the empirical sense

It seems like you are saying that unless something is a fact that it is not true. That only facts are true. That is a false dichotomy.

To say all personal preference is faith is saying that your preference and taste in food, music, art, poetry, and exercise are "merely faith."

That to me is convoluted. "Your opinions about food are merely faith" "your views on sculpture are merely faith" "your taste in music is merely faith" that sounds very convoluted.

The words "view" "belief" "opinion" "personal preference"
convey something very different than
"merely faith"

Yet you conflate them.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 AM

22,857 posts, read 19,472,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
and on the spectrum of maturity and development, biting others is a behavior seen in toddlers or young children.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:08 AM

29,655 posts, read 9,860,451 times
Quote:
and on the spectrum of maturity and development, biting others is a behavior seen in toddlers or young children.
These threads are full of people who have all sorts of different perspectives, opinions, levels of critical thinking, ability to reason and styles of writing, brief and/or long-winded...

Always seems to me that being critical about how someone may or may not write the ideal comment far as they are concerned, directly related to the topic or not, is just more "white noise," but easy enough to tune out if you ask me. Simply distill from these threads what matters most to you, discard the rest and comment accordingly.

What's so hard?

Not like even the best of threads can avoid the same dead end regardless...

Right?

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-18-2019 at 11:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality