Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 01:56 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Come on now.

Christianity says that god made man in his image.
Hinduism portrays Ganesh as a weird looking elephant.
and calculus is filled with squiggly lines and weird doodles.
whether someone makes sense of something depends on their ability to understand the material.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 02:05 PM

so phet if this is where you are, that's OK.
by all means stay there. practice what you know.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-27-2019 at 02:29 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 02:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
how do you explain the extreme difference in descriptions of Los Angeles from one person to another?

It's called "subjectivity."

That which is subjective exists in your mind only and nowhere outside your mind.

Quote:
that which their soul connects them to

And what good is that?

People being connected to god hasn't stopped people from committing crimes, so what value is there in being connected to god?

Old 09-27-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's called "subjectivity." That which is subjective exists in your mind only and nowhere outside your mind.
Los Angeles exists. people describe it differently, based on their experience and interactions and impressions and ideas. People are different so they experience Los Angeles differently. Wildly varying descriptions do not change Los Angeles.

Creative Source exists. people describe it differently based on their experience and interactions and impressions and ideas. Wildly varying descriptions do not change Creative Source.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
People being connected to god hasn't stopped people from committing crimes, so what value is there in being connected to god?
people commit crimes. so what value is there in being human.
that's the logic you are presenting.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-27-2019 at 03:53 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 03:25 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Tough being a persona non grata, but there are countless people I admire who were much more so than I can ever imagine myself to be, proven on the side of right over time. I ask anyone in this forum if they are inclined toward silence when asked by people of different mentality what the truth about such things might be. You clearly have no such hesitation...

Is the idea to get reps? Earn followers? Or is speaking the truth about something else entirely? Regardless how the truth might be received?

Also to learn something in the event we might be missing something and this is why I asked what is meant by a "materialist atheist." I don't consider myself a materialist, but I am an atheist, so I find the term a little puzzling if not off-putting. The suggestion that an atheist can't be sensitive or emotional or in tune with what beauty and marvel there is to explore and enjoy in life, for example, if this is what you mean? Including the great mysteries of life we all share. Your notion about being "materialist" in this regard is simply not correct at best and something of a brag that you are somehow better able to be in touch with reality any better than the rest of us.

Or maybe I'm just not following you too well. Hard to know...
You read an awful lot into my post that had as its ONLY intent to explain my view of the "supernatural." The persona non grata was in regard to the Forum's treatment of your "Truths" NOT you. Materialist atheists proclaim the default as No God until they see empirical evidence of it in our reductionist science. They dismiss the possibility or plausibility resident in legitimate extrapolations from known science into the gaps on the frontiers of science AS IF they were equivalent to entirely made-up, fantasies, or fabrications from whole cloth.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:07 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
The problem with atheists is that they are driven completely by their feelings and emotions. A fact that one of their own mods practically spelled out. But they refuse to acknowledge this fact.

It's also something that many former atheists turned Christians have acknowledged.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:23 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
and calculus is filled with squiggly lines and weird doodles.
whether someone makes sense of something depends on their ability to understand the material.
Isn't that clever. Of course, you didn't really respond to what was stated.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Isn't that clever. Of course, you didn't really respond to what was stated.
yes, i did. succinctly. clearly. and directly.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-27-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 04:28 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
yes, i did. succinctly. clearly. and directly.
why you see funny shapes.
No, you didn't. I asked you how you explain the difference between Ganesh and god (that god) supposedly created man in his image.

Of course, I've never seen a photo of you. Perhaps you look like Ganesh...but I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality