Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 11:30 PM

1,456 posts, read 518,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
ASC? Autism Spectrum Condition? As in Asperger's?
Yeap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 12:05 AM

11,087 posts, read 6,032,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Then you are in good company.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:36 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,888,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I believe the term first appeared on this site but the term is getting out into the wider Atheist world. Raffa and I can't remember which of us minted the term, so it's down to who wins t'cup - Wales or England.
Well I think it was me my dear old fruit as I referred to someone 'giving a flick of the hair and flouncing out'...but I may have dreamt it so we'll leave it for whoever wins the RWC

Old 10-02-2019, 02:43 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,824,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well I think it was me my dear old fruit as I referred to someone 'giving a flick of the hair and flouncing out'...but I may have dreamt it so we'll leave it for whoever wins the RWC
Why not? That's better than the usual reasons for deciding which god is the real one - there's at least an element of 'Free Will' about it.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 AM

29,566 posts, read 9,784,168 times
Quote:
You mean like gratuitous name calling?

As you may have noticed, Trans, there's no love lost between LM and me. I don't much care for his methods or reasoning and I wouldn't be surprised if the feelings were mutual. However, I see no need to read anything more into his departure other than him needing to take a break. And given how obsessive he is about politeness and such like, I see it as no big surprise that he would mention his leaving before disappearing. If anything, I kinda appreciate it. Given the age group of posters here, I'd be concerned if someone were to suddenly disappear without a word of warning.

Aside from that, as I mentioned to MQ, without knowing the actual circumstances of someone's leaving it'd be all too easy to assign spurious motives, so where would one draw the line?
What a pleasant surprise to read this comment (and the one by TRANS as well) which are so much closer to the mark with respect to the reason for my departure. The others well off the mark and yet again somewhat nasty as usual and typical from those folks...

Most of all interesting that what I thought would be a wave goodbye without much a thought or notice by anyone, all this speculation as to cause..., an unexpected and interesting read. I hadn't heard this term "flounces" before either.

True, Itz, we're not "cut of the same cloth" and your assessment along those lines, mutual indeed, is a good one. Also true I was more than wanting to take a break, and I knew I would be doing so at least until now while my wife and I have been traveling first to Ireland to attend our daughter's wedding and then Scotland from there. A most amazing and wonderful trip we won't ever forget, very grateful our daughter and new son-in-law had a wedding of weddings that had smiles on all faces most certainly including theirs.

Didn't know if I'd be interested in joining back in upon my return just yesterday, but I have to admit some of these first comments in this first thread where I last left off has me at least wanting to share the cause of my hiatus in light of all the speculation along those lines. That's all...

Old 11-21-2019, 04:38 PM

61 posts, read 39,571 times
In my experience it is Old Atheism without any attempt at dialogue, because the dialogue loses to Theism quite easily.

The Old Atheist will use the oldskool dictionary definition of Atheism = a positive belief that God does not exist - thus being open to debate, which is great, that's all anybody asks for and l respect that.
The New Atheist will try to wriggle out of it by saying Atheism = a lack of belief in God, hence no need to argue.

Both positions are easily and rapidly defeated. The New Atheist doesn't go quietly though, the New Atheist will insult and move through the entire spectrum of logical fallacies, never able to form one sound argument. And then more insults. However, if the New Atheist has friends around, and the New Atheist will rarely argue without friends around, the main thing will be insults, little else.

The New Atheist will always assume you are a Christian and cuss the Bible rather than debate Theism, because it's so very easy like that.

If you say you are a Muslim the New Atheist will implode and every scurrilous tabloid headline of the past 20 years will be fired at you by a furious keyboard warrior. Which sums it up basically: New Atheism = Fury.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:45 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,565,931 times
New atheism movement is the exact same arguments being made 50 years ago, what makes it new I guess is these arguments are just louder.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:33 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,824,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So the South Africans coined the term?

Quote:
I'm not sure what else I can add beyond this.
How about "I get it, that makes sense'. If not you could try saying why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
ASC? Autism Spectrum Condition? As in Asperger's?
Quote:
"To know all is to Forgive all". Or at least understand, better

Old 11-21-2019, 05:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,255,321 times
Atheists, like gays, are finding their voice after spending too long in their respective closets because of societal disapproval and censure.

So now they're out, loud n' proud.

I find it completely understandable.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:41 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,616,773 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality