Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2019, 09:08 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,935,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
As flounces go, I can't give it more than a 2/10.
Very poor I thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 09:31 AM

50,152 posts, read 20,966,894 times
We should have a top 10 flounces of the year video with votes for style and execution.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:04 AM

7,689 posts, read 4,227,130 times
Nah. Flounces are boring. I like a good laugh like Transponder's carnivores eating the herbivores on the Ark causing them to go extinct or Troutdude's "may the liberal god bless you."

Old 10-01-2019, 04:21 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,935,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We should have a top 10 flounces of the year video with votes for style and execution.
What a good idea. 'The City-Data Flounce of the Year Award.'

Old 10-01-2019, 05:21 AM

1,456 posts, read 522,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I've not heard of this term until I joined this site. But isn't it a bit like accusing someone of being a troll?

Old 10-01-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Nah. Flounces are boring. I like a good laugh like Transponder's carnivores eating the herbivores on the Ark causing them to go extinct or Troutdude's "may the liberal god bless you."
How odd. I'm glad you like the Dinovores causing an extinction with one snap of the jaw, but it wasn't intended as a funny. That is quite an old argument. Though I recall a time when everyone was arguing the 'too many species' argument (when Woodmorappe had simply reduced the species to 10% by taking basic cats, cows, reptiles etc to cut numbers down) and i was arguing for the 'but there's nothing to eat when they come out' apologetic, which (along with 2 is not a viable breeding pool) is standard aplogetics. What i do find funny though is raising the problem with food, keeping them all alive, just one family having to cope with all that and you can just see their fingers twitch, longing to reach for the magic wand, but as soon as they do, the whole thing becomes pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What a good idea. 'The City-Data Flounce of the Year Award.'
We could have that with the honorary brigade rank in the New Atheist campaign -army for apologists who are worth a couple of divisions to us. I'm still trying to sell doctrinal -denominational gladitorial games with appropriate costume for each faction (guess who will have the clowns' outfit) and a lot of Brians (1)selling nightingales' balls, hummingbird's tongues and ocelot spleens to the atheists in the popcorn and peanut gallery. The Red -riding - hooded Star Chamber of the central Darwinist Orthodoxy and Dogma Committee keep rejecting my idea of spiked clubs on the grounds that it'll alarm the children. I say they see worse on their video games and hear worse at Christian Boot Camp.

(1)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ofIBw3uMM

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-01-2019 at 06:40 AM..

Old 10-01-2019, 08:17 AM

89,097 posts, read 85,720,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
I've not heard of this term until I joined this site. But isn't it a bit like accusing someone of being a troll?
Well, technically, since the forum rules say, "No "I'm leaving" messages.

I haven't heard the term, "flounce" before this forum, although I think it's perfect, but the concept is common on all forums of this type. A person makes a dramatic announcement about how they've been done wrong and/or are being picked on, or they are smarter than everyone else on the forum, or whatever, and they are LEAVING, so THERE!

Rarely do they actually leave for good.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 AM

1,456 posts, read 522,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I haven't heard the term, "flounce" before this forum, although I think it's perfect, but the concept is common on all forums of this type. A person makes a dramatic announcement about how they've been done wrong and/or are being picked on, or they are smarter than everyone else on the forum, or whatever, and they are LEAVING, so THERE!

Rarely do they actually leave for good.
I know the kind of behaviour you mean so shouldn't the normal standard apply - if you believe the behaviour breaks the rules report it.

Hanlon's razor suggests that not all behaviour is malicious, so one shouldn't go accusing people of trolling because they may not be and it only serves to inflame the situation. Shouldn't the similar rule be applied here? After all, suggesting that one is leaving a discussion because of a cancer scare, family emergency, or an anniversary of a tragedy could also then fall into the flouncing criteria. I'm only thinking "aloud" not trying to re-write rules or anything.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 AM

16,914 posts, read 5,096,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How would you enforce that?

Old 10-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Nothing like - it is a Rhetorical tactic. I don't see them as 'i'm leaving' messages but more a kind of 'There's no point in talking to the closed -minded' ploy. I won't go into what it is supposed to achieve or what position they got themselves into, but it is a rearguard retreat without admitting being beat. As said - they will be back, on some later thread - probably with the same arguments.

I believe the term first appeared on this site but the term is getting out into the wider Atheist world. Raffa and I can't remember which of us minted the term, so it's down to who wins t'cup - Wales or England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality