Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 05:58 PM

50,139 posts, read 20,908,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresACatForThat View Post
In my experience it is Old Atheism without any attempt at dialogue, because the dialogue loses to Theism quite easily.

The Old Atheist will use the oldskool dictionary definition of Atheism = a positive belief that God does not exist - thus being open to debate, which is great, that's all anybody asks for and l respect that.
The New Atheist will try to wriggle out of it by saying Atheism = a lack of belief in God, hence no need to argue.
I believe that 'New atheist' position was old atheist too and the only difference is that 'New Atheists' have a voice and will use it. But let's suppoe you were correct? Then it is no more 'wriggling' that science saying (to tip the hat to Pneuma's point) "Junk DNA seems to serve no purpose and atheists debunking Creationism leaping on that - I'm conceding the point - and when it seemed there was a purpose, dropping that argument. It's called being rational.

Thus, as I once argued to Mystic when he tried to force the 'Strong Atheist' position on us: "If that had been the case, then we would have to accept that it was a logically untenable position and we would have been logically obliged to adopt the logical one: 'a lack of belief in a god' (until persuasive evidence is forthcoming)" This is not wriggling, it is being logically sound. Which atheism -New or Old - is, in spades.

Quote:
Both positions are easily and rapidly defeated.
I can't wait to see you do it .

Quote:
The New Atheist doesn't go quietly though, the New Atheist will insult and move through the entire spectrum of logical fallacies, never able to form one sound argument. And then more insults. However, if the New Atheist has friends around, and the New Atheist will rarely argue without friends around, the main thing will be insults, little else.
Oh deary me. Instead of showing why we're wrong, you just attribute a lot of Nasty behaviour to us. Sunshine, I'll take you on solo and all your friends, even though there are many atheists posting here, mainly because the Theists don't dare to.

Quote:
The New Atheist will always assume you are a Christian and cuss the Bible rather than debate Theism, because it's so very easy like that.
As usual a grain of truth misrepresented. We do tend to assume Christianity because that is nearly always what we get. We are happy to be corrected. It is not an easy way Out nor do i see how it could be. Merely "Cussing the Bible" rather than filletting is as we do with all the expertise of a Kobe Sashimi - chef will hurt our cause rather than helping it, somewht as your deprecatoty line so far is not likely to do you any favours.

Quote:
If you say you are a Muslim the New Atheist will implode and every scurrilous tabloid headline of the past 20 years will be fired at you by a furious keyboard warrior. Which sums it up basically: New Atheism = Fury.
First misstep. In fact it is Theists who tend to fly off the handle at Islam and accuse atheists of being too soft on them.

What more you got?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-21-2019 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 06:33 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,260,740 times
Dividing atheists into new and old groups suggests that there are two distinct, and opposing viewpoints on atheism, and we're all on one side or the other.

This is grossly overstating the degree to which any of us are, or ever have been, organized. The perception of a new atheism has come about as a consequence of the emergence of new media platforms, more accessible to all, from which to present one's views. Where before there was very little representation of an atheist point of view, now those views are getting more public exposure.

If that appears to be increased aggression, it is only by contrast to the previous inability to be more aggressive due to the lack of platforms. Also, the control of those platforms which were available, were by persons hostile to atheism or at least afraid of offending the religious.

I have never previously expressed myself on the subject to the degree that I have in this forum. Here it can be done consequence free (well, if you don't count dismal responses) I'm not any more or less aggressive about atheism than I have ever been, just now I have a better outlet for it. There is nothing new or old about my atheism.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:56 PM

51,303 posts, read 24,735,584 times
That pretty well sums it up. And people like BF hate it.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:33 AM

7,663 posts, read 4,211,027 times
In response to The Last Amalekite 1Sam post with the cartoon of old atheist vs new atheist. For some reason, I can't quote that post.

This is about as atheist as I get:

"There is a person with a Bible. Quick! Go the other way."

Old 11-22-2019, 03:37 AM

16,885 posts, read 5,072,837 times
Quote:
In my experience it is Old Atheism without any attempt at dialogue, because the dialogue loses to Theism quite easily.
Your experience is limited.

Quote:
The Old Atheist will use the oldskool dictionary definition of Atheism = a positive belief that God does not exist - thus being open to debate, which is great, that's all anybody asks for and l respect that.
The New Atheist will try to wriggle out of it by saying Atheism = a lack of belief in God, hence no need to argue.
Your word game is just a straw man. And it is gods, plural. We do not believe in gods.

Quote:
Both positions are easily and rapidly defeated.
An assertion without evidence. We are ready when you are. What would you like to discuss? But please, no contradictory bogus arguments you copied but do not understand, that just makes you look like you have no credible arguments. That is also true for arguments that refute your own position. I will point them out when you make them.

Quote:
The New Atheist doesn't go quietly though, the New Atheist will insult and move through the entire spectrum of logical fallacies, never able to form one sound argument. And then more insults. However, if the New Atheist has friends around, and the New Atheist will rarely argue without friends around, the main thing will be insults, little else.
As I said, your experience is limited. Very limited. Or are you just inventing facts?

Quote:
The New Atheist will always assume you are a Christian and cuss the Bible rather than debate Theism, because it's so very easy like that.
So once again no credible argument, just using new atheism as an ad hominem.

Quote:
If you say you are a Muslim the New Atheist will implode and every scurrilous tabloid headline of the past 20 years will be fired at you by a furious keyboard warrior. Which sums it up basically: New Atheism = Fury.
Another definition of new atheism. You have basically limited new atheism to just one person, who actually denies he is an atheist.

As for fury, it was your tantrum that had your apologetic post locked, remember?

Old 11-22-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
New atheism movement is the exact same arguments being made 50 years ago, what makes it new I guess is these arguments are just louder.
True, but a good label to ad hominem people instead of actually making any arguments.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:08 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,745,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Dividing atheists into new and old groups suggests that there are two distinct, and opposing viewpoints on atheism, and we're all on one side or the other.
That distortion is probably intentional.

Quote:
This is grossly overstating the degree to which any of us are, or ever have been, organized. The perception of a new atheism has come about as a consequence of the emergence of new media platforms, more accessible to all, from which to present one's views. Where before there was very little representation of an atheist point of view, now those views are getting more public exposure.
Disorganized groups make inconvenient foils. As such, some decide it is necessary to portray them as cohesive, even if factionalized.

Quote:
If that appears to be increased aggression, it is only by contrast to the previous inability to be more aggressive due to the lack of platforms. Also, the control of those platforms which were available, were by persons hostile to atheism or at least afraid of offending the religious.
Whenever dominant cultural forces have begun to face any pushback against their dominance, their response has always been to cry about the 'aggressive threat' said pushback supposedly constitutes.

Quote:
I have never previously expressed myself on the subject to the degree that I have in this forum. Here it can be done consequence free (well, if you don't count dismal responses) I'm not any more or less aggressive about atheism than I have ever been, just now I have a better outlet for it. There is nothing new or old about my atheism.
If today you're saying I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD online, tomorrow you (or someone else) might lose the reticence to say it out loud. Pretty soon, atheism loses its taboo.

Scary!

Old 11-22-2019, 06:16 AM

They are scared. Very. They needn't be. What they should be scared about is One kind of religious Take getting the political power it has been after for near 50 years. in which case the freedom to believe whatever Take They have on religion will put them into the same par as atheists. An irreligious society however would allow any and all religious (subject to Law ) to exist, but none dominate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your experience is limited.

Your word game is just a straw man. And it is gods, plural. We do not believe in gods.

An assertion without evidence. We are ready when you are. What would you like to discuss? But please, no contradictory bogus arguments you copied but do not understand, that just makes you look like you have no credible arguments. That is also true for arguments that refute your own position. I will point them out when you make them.

As I said, your experience is limited. Very limited. Or are you just inventing facts?

So once again no credible argument, just using new atheism as an ad hominem.

Another definition of new atheism. You have basically limited new atheism to just one person, who actually denies he is an atheist.

As for fury, it was your tantrum that had your apologetic post locked, remember?
Nothing from our new pal it seems. It's a shame he transpired to be just another drive -by anti -atheist polemicist. I just loved his screen -monicker

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-22-2019 at 06:27 AM..

Old 11-22-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Nothing from our new pal it seems. It's a shame he transpired to be just another drive -by anti -atheist polemicist. I just loved his screen -monicker
They post when it is evening in Europe. On past evidence I believe they will return, repeat their assertions for 3 months, then flounce.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
They post when it is evening in Europe. On past evidence I believe they will return, repeat their assertions for 3 months, then flounce.
I'd much prefer that they stay and discuss - especially with such cool names. The initial exchanges with Turf 3 on 'dual nature of Jesus' (though I have of course gone off - topic), look far more promising than I'd expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality