Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 10:13 AM

23,186 posts, read 26,358,531 times

Advertisements

The term is certainly not new and the definition fits well with "how' some people leave.

"flounce
[flouns]

VERB
go or move in an exaggeratedly impatient or angry manner.
"he stood up in a fury and flounced out"
synonyms:
storm · stride angrily · sweep · stomp · stamp · march · strut · stalk
NOUN
an exaggerated action, typically intended to express one's annoyance or impatience.
"she left the room with a flounce""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 AM

1,456 posts, read 522,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Nothing like - it is a Rhetorical tactic.
You mean like gratuitous name calling?

As you may have noticed, Trans, there's no love lost between LM and me. I don't much care for his methods or reasoning and I wouldn't be surprised if the feelings were mutual. However, I see no need to read anything more into his departure other than him needing to take a break. And given how obsessive he is about politeness and such like, I see it as no big surprise that he would mention his leaving before disappearing. If anything, I kinda appreciate it. Given the age group of posters here, I'd be concerned if someone were to suddenly disappear without a word of warning.

Aside from that, as I mentioned to MQ, without knowing the actual circumstances of someone's leaving it'd be all too easy to assign spurious motives, so where would one draw the line?

Old 10-01-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
without admitting being beat
Do you see every post on this site as some sort of point grabbing exercise? What an odd way to live.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:33 AM

50,155 posts, read 20,982,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
You mean like gratuitous name calling?

As you may have noticed, Trans, there's no love lost between LM and me. I don't much care for his methods or reasoning and I wouldn't be surprised if the feelings were mutual. However, I see no need to read anything more into his departure other than him needing to take a break. And given how obsessive he is about politeness and such like, I see it as no big surprise that he would mention his leaving before disappearing. If anything, I kinda appreciate it. Given the age group of posters here, I'd be concerned if someone were to suddenly disappear without a word of warning.

Aside from that, as I mentioned to MQ, without knowing the actual circumstances of someone's leaving it'd be all too easy to assign spurious motives, so where would one draw the line?
Like gratuitous name -calling, yes very much; there's generally a Tactic[i] behind it. This is that identifyng a burgeoning Flounce is to stop that tactic and get tem back having the discussion or admitting they don't have a case. It's not intended to hurl insults after the as they leave bu say 'No - you don't get out of it that way. f course if they weren't intending to leave, they can say so and get on with the debate and drop the threats to storm out. It's all part of the game- moves.

Quote:
Do you see every post on this site as some sort of point grabbing exercise? What an odd way to live.
Debates are like a chess game. Or rather more like Go. Every point secured traps the other bod. Words are what we use to communicate ideas. Ideas are what we use to forge links with others. Others are the society we live in. I know no other way to live.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Like gratuitous name -calling, yes very much
I'm not sure what else I can add beyond this.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:04 PM

23,186 posts, read 26,358,531 times
I don't know how long the "No leaving announcements" have been on CD so maybe it was another site but one reason was that some people would announce they were leaving mostly to solicit the numerous posts that followed begging them not to
Damn, there was a term for it even.....Oh, manifesto.
That is different from somebody saying they maybe should just take a break for awhile.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:09 PM

16,780 posts, read 15,868,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, technically, since the forum rules say, "No "I'm leaving" messages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
How would you enforce that?
The only way I can think of would to be a) make sure it wouldn't be posted again, and then b) delete the message. That might not always meet our moderating guidelines.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:37 PM

89,103 posts, read 85,744,834 times
Quote:
I know the kind of behaviour you mean so shouldn't the normal standard apply - if you believe the behaviour breaks the rules report it.

Hanlon's razor suggests that not all behaviour is malicious, so one shouldn't go accusing people of trolling because they may not be and it only serves to inflame the situation. Shouldn't the similar rule be applied here? After all, suggesting that one is leaving a discussion because of a cancer scare, family emergency, or an anniversary of a tragedy could also then fall into the flouncing criteria. I'm only thinking "aloud" not trying to re-write rules or anything.
I've yet to see anyone report someone for an "I'm leaving" message, and unless they did it repeatedly, it would likely not bring any action. No one is mocking anyone for "flouncing" for family emergencies and the like. It usually just bring jeers when it's of the "you are all stupid and I am smart so I'm not posting here anymore" or "you are picking on me and I'm not going to take it anymore" variety.

In those situations, the best tack to take is to simply just stop responding.

In some cases, regulars DO say if they will be away for a while. Recently Rafius (I think) said he was going on a holiday for a couple of weeks. And sadly, one of our R&S mods who had not been around for a while posted to let us know that he was terminally ill, and he has since died.

Usually in cases where a regular disappears, someone knows, because many of us have connected with another person or five outside of this forum.

That's not "flouncing", though.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've yet to see anyone report someone for an "I'm leaving" message, and unless they did it repeatedly, it would likely not bring any action. No one is mocking anyone for "flouncing" for family emergencies and the like. It usually just bring jeers when it's of the "you are all stupid and I am smart so I'm not posting here anymore" or "you are picking on me and I'm not going to take it anymore" variety.
I get it, thanks MQ. I'm a bit slow on etiquette because of my ASC. These kind of distinctions seem far too risky because those who are not in the know could potentially turn something innocent and personal into a finger pointing contest, which isn't exactly rare on this forum.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:26 PM

11,190 posts, read 6,106,593 times
ASC? Autism Spectrum Condition? As in Asperger's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality