Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The purpose of the Supreme Court should be to protect all rights.
That's not its role as defined by the Constitution. But if that's your belief you'll need to get in the line with the rest of the people who think the Constitution should be fed through a shredder. It's full of foot-stomping fundamentalists who are unhappy that they don't get to define how this country works so you'll probably feel very comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,743,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You didn't answer my question.
You wanted an answer? Fine, I hate the deceiver, Satan, who created false gods to lead people down the wrong path. I certainly don't waste large amounts of my time railing against Greek mythology and talking about how sadistic, blood thirsty and immoral the stories are. I don't mock people who practice other religions either.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:17 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,344,065 times
Quote:
Separation of church and state to the extent people of your side have distorted it does not exist in the Constitution. The school is not creating a law that establishes the Christian religion. If you find the mere sight of a cross or angel to be offensive, that's YOUR problem.
Actually, when it's on public property, it's YOUR problem

Old 02-23-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
You wanted an answer? Fine, I hate the deceiver, Satan, who created false gods to lead people down the wrong path. I certainly don't waste large amounts of my time railing against Greek mythology and talking about how sadistic, blood thirsty and immoral the stories are. I don't mock people who practice other religions either.
That's great! And we'd be doing the same thing if your religion wasn't front and center in everyday politics / government.

If Greek Mythology were front and center, we'd do the same thing!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:20 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,743,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's not its role as defined by the Constitution. But if that's your belief you'll need to get in the line with the rest of the people who think the Constitution should be fed through a shredder. It's full of foot-stomping fundamentalists who are unhappy that they don't get to define how this country works so you'll probably feel very comfortable.

Can you give one recent example of a fundamentalist demanding a new law that defines society or infringes on your freedoms? And don't use gay marriage because that deals with changing already established laws defining marriage.

Otherwise, your remarks come off as bigoted hyperbole.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:23 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,934 times
How many crosses and memorials do you have on your lawn, or in your public space? Do you only want your religion in the public square? Why is that?

None right now, they'd be covered in the snow. And please don't say that with atheists/progressives it is about allowing other religions equal time in the public square. With atheists/progressives it is about playing religions against each other if anything.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:25 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,404,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You didn't answer my question.
You didn't ask me but I think that some ex-Christians hate the idea of God as it is presented by some Christians, because it is divisive and destructive. I do. If people in the here and now were still pushing some of the other ancient gods, I might hate that too.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Can you give one recent example of a fundamentalist demanding a new law that defines society or infringes on your freedoms? And don't use gay marriage because that deals with changing already established laws defining marriage.

Otherwise, your remarks come off as bigoted hyperbole.
Oklahoma educators fear AP history bill will have ‘devastating’ impact

Don't think you'd find this without the aid of some fundamentalists! I can find tons more... hang on!

edit:

Here's another! http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...teach-genocide

And another... http://www.mediaite.com/online/famil...ight-to-do-it/

and another... http://america.aljazeera.com/article...sflourish.html

OH!!

Jackpot! lol

http://www.advocate.com/politics/201...scriminate-law

Quote:
Mississippi Republican governor Phil Bryant today signed a bill into a law that will allow business and individuals to deny service to anyone in the interest of religious liberty, according to ThinkProgress.

Last edited by wolf39us; 02-23-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 11:29 AM

20,043 posts, read 13,507,614 times
In a similar vein to the question of Christian symbols on public property, here is an interesting write up of a public school where, in the words of one commenter on the story, "If what this school is teaching isn't over the line, they've managed to figure out a way to walk right up TO the line and poke a big toe over it." This school incorporates every form of Christian influence it possibly can without violating ACLU guidelines, and yet I would say they have probably crossed the line in many respects. This illustrates where Christians would go with this if they could.

A fine line between church and state

The article is poorly written, probably because it's trying to not tick off the conservative readership of a small-town newspaper. But it begs quite a few questions. For example there's a comparative religion class -- which I applaud -- but no indication whether it actually gives equal time to all religions or not. The only thing mentioned is students reading aloud from the book of Judges and being taught what daily life was supposedly like for Israel in that period. Where does that latter information come from, archeology or theology? We aren't told. And the guy teaching it is allowed to run Rush Limbaugh-style conservative talk radio show on the side where he espouses Tea Party / fundamentalist rhetoric about homosexuality and such.

In another place a teacher says she prays before practices for the Christmas program and is careful to let students know they can go out in the hallway (thus outing themselves to everyone else as "hateful" atheists) if they're "not comfortable" with it. But ... no one has done so and no parents have complained, and she "doesn't get the sense" that any students are just putting up with it out of fear. Which is complete nonsense.

I remember in my daughter's first grade class they were reading Rumplestiltskin and for some reason that story terrified her -- she had nightmares that some gnarly old man was going to steal her away in the night. Kids that age have trouble separating fantasy from reality. My daughter's teacher saw that my daughter was frightened by the story and offered to let her sit out the class in the library but of course that created as many problems for my daughter as it solved -- and it was handled in a condescending fashion, along the lines of, well, if you can't handle this silly fairy tale then you can be excused, he-he. So it doesn't even take religious issues to humiliate a kid. My response at the time was, why are you teaching this particular story in that particular way at this grade level? It's not like it's crucial or something. Just do something more age appropriate and/or toned down. Similarly you can put together a Christmas program without praying, that's clearly over the line anyway.

It is evident to me that this school is some kind of test case and I hope the ACLU is all over it.

Last edited by mordant; 02-23-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 11:32 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Quote:
Your "deceiver" is a pussycat compared to your bible god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality